in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-04-2012 11:00 AM by Evan. 131 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (132 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-06-2011 1:16 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Re: Snap crackle pop! [:(]

Evan:

Alright peeps, almost an entire pound of caps is being delivered on Wednesday! How timely is that?! SmileSmileSmile

BTW - this order carries parts for another receiver... LINK

Nice thread over there on Audiokarma.  Two comments: (1) the "used room" at Hawthorne Stereo always has a pair of Minimus 7's for sale.  Right now it looks like at least 2 pairs.

And (2), with the low output of the Radio Shack amp, perhaps you should consider a DIY of a single full range driver (e.g., Fostex FE126En) in a back-loaded horn enclosure (e.g., Frugel Horn).  A common reason to choose a single full range driver in back-loaded horn is a system with a very low power output, like the DIYers are doing with tube amps these days.  I've got the itch to build a set of these myself for my daughters' bedroom (they don't get B&O yet).

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 12-06-2011 2:20 PM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Rich:

Audiokarma members aren't any more hostile toward B&O as some Beoworlders have been hostile toward, say, Nakamichi cassette decks.

I do love my Nakamichi CR-4E, it is a wonderful cassette deck! But so are my Beocords, 5000 (80's) and 9000!

Jacques

• 12-06-2011 2:43 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Thanks Rich, I'll probably go with some M. 7s, don't know if I'll have the time for yet another project..

Pretty close to finishing that amp!! Big Smile

Evan

• 12-06-2011 2:45 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I have great news everybody!!

Yep that's right, my capacitors have been delivered, a whole day early!!

Evan

• 12-06-2011 2:55 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

chartz:

Rich:

Audiokarma members aren't any more hostile toward B&O as some Beoworlders have been hostile toward, say, Nakamichi cassette decks.

I do love my Nakamichi CR-4E, it is a wonderful cassette deck! But so are my Beocords, 5000 (80's) and 9000!

I had a love-hate relationship with my Nak - a BX-300 from about 1988 or so.  I ended up preferring my Yamaha K-720 because of autoreverse and dbx noise reduction.  Back in the 80's and 90's I made hundreds of recordings with dbx noise reduction.  Alas I lost the K-720 and all those recordings in a flood around 2002.

I didn't own another cassette deck until the Beovirus hit earlier this year.  SmileGeeked

• 12-06-2011 2:59 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Evan:

Thanks Rich, I'll probably go with some M. 7s, don't know if I'll have the time for yet another project..

Pretty close to finishing that amp!! Big Smile

So many projects, so little time.

• 12-18-2011 10:53 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Hello everyone, just wanted to provide an upddate -

I know I said I would make some progress (and I have) I just need to find the time to post it. I have a few decent audio projects happening right now as well as preparing for the holidays and my racing hobby.

Stay tuned! Smile

Evan

• 12-28-2011 5:01 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Hello and good evening everyone! Welcome back to the 3000-2 thread!

What do we have here? A load of capacitors! More like a box of fun if you ask me!

Once I had a spare evening, I tossed all of the gear I thought I needed to to the cap change into my backpack and grabbed the nearest car to drive over to my other house to give the BeoMaster its new load of caps.

Evan

• 12-28-2011 5:07 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

First things first - the troublemakers - those huge power cans. Now, they are, well, not so huge... The old 3000uF 50v compared to the new 3300uF 80v.

In the middle, I have wired up the original 5000uF cap already. This is a very difficult part to keep tidy as there are so many leads going to and from. However, with patience, the job can be done.

Evan

• 12-28-2011 5:11 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Here comes the easy part, soldering in those new 3300uF caps. Only one wire per leg.

Evan

• 12-28-2011 5:14 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Look at all that extra space! I will hot glue them to the metal strap and the base so they won't move around any.

Evan

• 12-28-2011 5:16 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Mistake #1: Forgot to bring my hot glue gun. I will temporarily use some bubble wrap.

Oh well, I can fix that little detail later - I can't wait to see if it works!!!! I think I'll test it with some music too Big Smile

Evan

• 12-28-2011 5:23 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

It powers on!!!! Wooohoooo!!! That's definitely something right there.

Ok, so let's see how she sounds - give me a sec while I just hook up some spea....

Mistake #2: Forgot my DIN cables. They are powering my faux BeoVox 2500 at the other house.

Evan

• 12-28-2011 5:28 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Oh well, can't let that slow me down, I've got much more to do!

I've prepared the 3000 for the main amplifier board cap change by placing it on one end. Notice - I've placed the heavy transformer end on the bottom so the BeoMaster is less likely to tip over while working.

Evan

• 12-28-2011 5:36 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Here is how I'd be finding the legs of the capacitors. By using my cellphone's flashlight feature I was able to see them through the board and mark the legs of the capacitors with a black marker.

Evan

• 12-28-2011 8:41 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Not long after, I have the first capacitor out. For this build I have ordered my own caps, the Nichicon Muse KZ variety. They are of very comparable size, even with the higher voltage ratings.

Evan

• 12-28-2011 8:44 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Only a few minutes after starting, I am halfway done with the main board. Cruising along just fine!

Evan

• 12-28-2011 8:47 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Just the four small 10uF caps left now! Yipee!!

Evan

• 12-28-2011 8:48 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Mistake #3: I didn't order enough caps!!! BLAST.

Evan

• 12-28-2011 8:52 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I will go as far as I can, a balanced amp. I will come back to fix this as well. These caps will likely ride along with those destined for my BS4500.

An odd note here, those four caps are not all the same - allthough they should be. The capacitance is the same, yet the far left cap on the left channel had a significantly higher voltage. I wonder if B&O came up just one cap short when putting this 3000 together way back when and substituted Laughing

Okay, this will end tonight's update. I have to again wait on more capacitors... Ugh. I don't think this time around will take as long. Be back soon!

Evan

• 12-28-2011 10:45 PM In reply to

• Todd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-01-2009
    • Columbus Ohio
    • Posts 136
    • Gold Member

Hey Evman,

"Why another excellent take by take in thread on your bm3000 going on here"

just a few questions bro... The far left cap on f lft channel where the voltage was higher but the capacitance the same as the others..,so its not necessary too replace? There was a photograph w/the I think 3 orig 50v caps w/one being replaced by the new 3300uf 63v & in your next photo of the same spot on the board there was what looked like plastic surrounding the 2 50v caps? just throw away stuff or some purpose?

Alrighty Then we're holding you to a shorter time on getting back CowboyWink

Todd

• 12-28-2011 10:51 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Thank you! Hopefully it will resume fast enough - I want to hear it so badly!!!

No it still needs to be changed, the significance is shallow on that detail, just strange! Laughing It needs to be replaced, I just didn't order enough caps to fill its place! The plastic is bubble wrap used to stabilize the new smaller caps. The original, as pictured, are much larger and didn't require this cushion as they were held in place by a metal strap. Its a bad job on my part as I am better off using hot glue, but there wasn't any handy when I installed the new caps. When I return to this project I will correct both of these issues.

YeeHaawww!!!

Evan

• 12-29-2011 1:34 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Great Evan! At last!

One or two things you might want to consider...

First, the main reservoir cap. I too thought mine was okay at first. But the amps were not completely silent. When I stuck my ear to the speakers I could hear a faint buzz, which completely disappeared after replacement.

Then on one channel I had two bad 560 ohms resistors on each side of the trimmer; you might want to check on those too, and replace the trimmers as well!

Also replace all those 47k trimmers in the preamp section. On my BM 4400 (almost identical) I gained a lot of sound clarity after replacement!

Keep up the good work then!

Jacques

• 12-29-2011 5:32 AM In reply to

• Todd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-01-2009
    • Columbus Ohio
    • Posts 136
    • Gold Member

Hey Evan,

"In any case would you mind doing a photo showing exactly what Chartz is suggesting?...especially the pre-amp section ot the 47k trimmers?

*Oh and thanks for answering my previous questions on the Caps & why the use of the bubble plastic*

Todd

• 12-29-2011 12:45 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

chartz:
    Great Evan! At last!

One or two things you might want to consider...

First, the main reservoir cap. I too thought mine was okay at first. But the amps were not completely silent. When I stuck my ear to the speakers I could hear a faint buzz, which completely disappeared after replacement.

Then on one channel I had two bad 560 ohms resistors on each side of the trimmer; you might want to check on those too, and replace the trimmers as well!

Also replace all those 47k trimmers in the preamp section. On my BM 4400 (almost identical) I gained a lot of sound clarity after replacement!

Keep up the good work then!

Yes, progress at long last!!!

Since I am ordering another (large) set of caps, I was planning on tacking on a 4700uF or higher cap to replace that 5000uF. It will need one eventually.

The trimmers are in line for replacement, I just need to order those too. Boy do I need to condense these items! Let me tell you, I was freightened when I saw all those trimmers - so many!!!

I'm going to try and keep this project steady until the end!

Evan

Page 4 of 6 (132 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >