in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-05-2010 1:21 AM by clifft. 130 replies.
Page 3 of 6 (131 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-11-2010 3:30 AM In reply to

• JL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-06-2010
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Re: The BeoSound 8 - Live Review!!!

How do You compare sound from BS8 to BS1? Is it much better or kinda similar? I think BS8 has same usability than BS1 and is only updated version. Harm that its not portable like BS3.   

JL

• 11-11-2010 4:06 AM In reply to

Firmly on the fence about the design thus far - would have to see it in person.  I agree that the actual 'dock' connector should be hidden - when an iDevice isn't present it really ruins the lines of the device.  If it sounds as good as reported, it may be added to the collection - my wife has wanted an iPod dock for a long time but I'm the usual fussy buyer; whilst she might not care about design or sound quality, I still have to see/hear the thing...

BV7-40 Blu-Ray, BL8000 MKII's, BL3's, BL2, BL7-4, BC2, BC6-26, BS3

• 11-11-2010 5:29 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

A reason for me not to buy the BS8 is still the lack of a radio. As mentioned here on the site, internetradio is an alternative, but what in case of a holidayhome without internet? FM reception isn't dead at all, in fact it's still very convenient and available everywhere, and sounds very good too.

• 11-11-2010 6:02 AM In reply to

BS8 tech specs rate the frequency response at 38 Hz...that's as low as BL1 or PentaLabs...marketing seduction or true specs??Angry

Seriously, as said in another post, I find it great that they use the USB input to make it work as a computer loudspeaker, but since you can't control anything via USB, why would people buy a BeoSound 8 when they can get a pair of BeoLab 4 PC? Great sound it may have, so did the Serenata, it didn't prevent it from being a flop, because it lacked critical features. BS8 is supposed to replace BS1, but at least on BS1 you could turn on 3 sources and control 2 of them. BS8 can't control anything, you'll have to go back to your Ipod to skip to another album or playlist. Why doesn't the remote have the same functions as an Apple Remote? Sad

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 11-11-2010 6:28 AM In reply to

• Tomaz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-07-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 74
    • Gold Member

Chrisreunion:
    you'll have to go back to your Ipod to skip to another album or playlist. Why doesn't the remote have the same functions as an Apple Remote? Sad

you can still use an external airport express ...

Beosound 8 Video

TT

• 11-11-2010 6:41 AM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

I think BS8 will be great with my Serenata or my laptop. I will consider this for my bedroom and the great sound from Serenata will probably sound great with BS8.

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 11-11-2010 8:15 AM In reply to

Chrisreunion:

BS8 tech specs rate the frequency response at 38 Hz...that's as low as BL1 or PentaLabs...marketing seduction or true specs??Angry

From the BeoSound 8 Spec page:

EFFECTIVE FREQUENCY RANGE*

38.3 - 24,000 Hz

*EFFECTIVE FREQUENCY RANGE is measured at -10 dB re. Ref level (200-2000 Hz)

Chrisreunion:
    Seriously, as said in another post, I find it great that they use the USB input to make it work as a computer loudspeaker, but since you can't control anything via USB, why would people buy a BeoSound 8 when they can get a pair of BeoLab 4 PC?

The remote can do basic controls like play/pause, skip forward/back, etc even when the source is a computer connected via USB (it sends those commands back to iTunes over USB).  I can see the gripe about the remote not functioning the same way as the Apple remote does but then again, so many docks I've seen operate the same way (personally, I have never used the remote ability to skip between playlists or albums - if I want to change playlists, I want to go over and choose from the list and not just jump to the previous/next) so that functionality is a matter of personal preference.  

Jeff

• 11-11-2010 8:31 AM In reply to

• AdamS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • South UK
    • Posts 72
    • Silver Member

I was hoping this day would never come, but it has and I am sad.

You see, I have just studied this brand new piece of B&O equipment from every angle and the only comment I can come up with is "That is hideous".

[:'(]

• 11-11-2010 10:22 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

AdamS:

You see, I have just studied this brand new piece of B&O equipment from every angle and the only comment I can come up with is "That is hideous".

Hey - it's dividing opinion, which is what original designs are all about.

To be fair to B&O, the poor designer is between a rock and a hard place here.  If they'd made it long and cylindrical we'd shout 'boring - they copied the Zeppelin and a thousand others'.   If they'd made it tall and curved we'd be saying 'huh - a recycled BeoSound 1.. well done boys. not.' - and if they'd made it box shaped we'd be saying 'where's the original and avantgarde B&O design gone then.. a boring box?'

The easiest thing in the world is to say 'hideous' or 'awful' - and hey, that's your right - but exactly what kind of design would have made you go 'wow- i want one'

I'd be interested to see some answers to this.

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 11-11-2010 10:47 AM In reply to

Oh, I wouldn't say it's "hideous." And definitely not the black one.

It's all up to your individual taste, I guess. I know people who consider my BeoVision 8 "hideous." I've read as much here - I wouldn't agree.

• 11-11-2010 10:57 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Germany
    • Posts 114
    • Bronze Member

To be honest - I like the design! In the world of iPhone Docks it really is a winner. I always thought that the Zepplin looks nice too, but the sound just does not impress me.

Regarding the missing Airplay - I think this will not be such a big problem, as there will be adapters that will fit on the dock-connector. Not the most beautiful solution, but we have to wait for such an adapter to show up.

Airplay was a missed chance for b&o to be supported by all important blogs -but lets wait and see!

• 11-11-2010 2:03 PM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

This Youtube video presents BS8 in english. It´s from the presentation in Copenhagen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as8mb6EnaDU

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 11-11-2010 2:05 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

This lack of radio thing is driving me mad. If you have wireless then you listen to the radio through the "tune in" radio app. Any station around the world. Much more useful than a tuner.

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 11-11-2010 2:29 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Beofan2:

This Youtube video presents BS8 in english. It´s from the presentation in Copenhagen.

If you click on the link that says BeoSound 8 at the beginning of this thread you'll find the youtube clip I uploaded at the launch..  I guess it was missed!

Lee

Smile

PS - It wasn't much though, only a brief video as plenty of other people were waiting patiently behind me.

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 11-11-2010 2:52 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

9 LEE:

The easiest thing in the world is to say 'hideous' or 'awful' - and hey, that's your right - but exactly what kind of design would have made you go 'wow- i want one'

I'd be interested to see some answers to this.

Lee

Smile

Something that doesn't use a god damn apple product for one Stick out tongue

But failing that I think the only thing B&O could have done to make people go wow was to make the damn phone/mp3 player levitate!

I agree as above the black version is ok but the white is a bit too bold for the design IMO.

Olly.

• 11-11-2010 5:09 PM In reply to

• jjcox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-31-2009
    • Midden-Brabant, the Netherlands
    • Posts 61
    • Bronze Member

Sadly, I'm not convinced at all. i don't think it looks particularly good, but, besides lack of functions already mentioned, it lacks one thing that I so much LOVE about my B&W Zeppelin Mini: being able to rotate the iPhone! 

I'm using the Zeppelin Mini in the kitchen, watching the news on my iPhone as I cook. Just rotate the iPhone to landscape mode and you can watch anything you want with good sound. Can't do that with the BS8, sadly!

• 11-12-2010 3:47 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

As per usual, judgements are formed on BeoWorld before people have even seen the product in the flesh. I'm withholding ANY judgement until I see it in person - I'd rather not let photographs sway my view of the design, as if I were to buy one (if I wasn't a student!) then I'd probably be looking at it in the flesh, not in photographs...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 11-12-2010 4:42 AM In reply to

I like the design.Possibly even more so when I see it in the flesh.Love the little adjustable dock rest pad thing.

Did find the youtube presentation agonising to watch! Particularly their "solution" to the lack of Airplay [I wonder if Bang are getting the message yet...] 

As Paul mentioned,it's bigger than expected,so not sure I could accommodate one.

However,I may cave in,if one could be had at the right price.

Look forward to the updated version.

I'd like Airplay,rotating dock [motorised would be so B&O] and ability to hook up a Beolab 11.

Thank you B&O

*taps fingers* 

Oh,shame the grilles aren't available in teak or rosewood  - those of you who also went on the B&O sales/product training courses back in the 80s will get that one Wink

• 11-12-2010 5:10 AM In reply to

There's also some hands-on impressions with the BeoSound 8 and BeoVision 10-32 in this article from the presentation of the two products:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1289552528

There's also some information about the new BeoPlayer Apple App.

• 11-12-2010 8:07 AM In reply to

Looks like the BeoPlayer app with 10,000 + radio stations won't be free...kinda strange, when Itunes makes it possible to add any radio station to it, with BMLInk also offering this feature for free..Surprise

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 11-12-2010 8:29 AM In reply to

In the presentation, they said it will require subscription. I am not sure if it mean you have to pay, or just to register.

For Beoport, you have to register to get radios, but registration is free.

If it is true, it is ridiculous again to buy something for this price and then have top pay extra for the App or for listening to N.RADIOs that broadcast for free.

Hopefully it is just that article that is incorrect. Anyway, as usual, I always recommend to only buy when all the features I want/need are here.

• 11-12-2010 1:54 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

From the US press release....."Additionally, Bang & Olufsen will launch a free BeoPlayer application that will offer access to Net Radio and an alarm clock functionality under one streamlined Bang & Olufsen interface. An upgraded application will also be made available for a $19.99 charge and will include over 10,000 internet radio stations, a comprehensive music library browser, and an alarm clock feature that will offer the elegant chime from our BeoTime alarm clock. This application will be available for download from iTunes/Apple e-store by December 2010 and underscores Bang & Olufsen’s dedication to providing the ultimate customer experience."

• 11-12-2010 4:40 PM In reply to

9 LEE:

Afterthoughts?  Well, apart from B&O missing the boat on the controller, I’d say they may have missed an opportunity to make this a fantastic Link Room Speaker.  A small, one line display perhaps, and a MasterLink Socket?  It thrashes the ageing BeoLab 3500 as far as sound quality, it beats it on price, and can indeed be wall mounted.  You could even have taken a few cues from the BeoSound 5 Encore and had it connecting wirelessly to a BeoMaster 5?  Maybe for the future….  

Hi Lee,

Since I read your review two days ago, I've been driving madly up and down the UK visiting B&O Stores with the aim of getting as much time as possible working with the BeoSound 8.  The aim of this was to find a way of fixing the "missed opportunity" that you highlighted (ie. the option of making BS8 into a link room speaker).

Its now 48 (sleepless) hours later and I've got a solution.  If you add a Beolink Active to your link room, BeoSound 8 can be connected to the PC Port (which is bi-directional) to allow BS8 to function as a superb link room speaker (with the added bonus of a built-in iPod/iPad dock!)  I've designed the cables to make this possible and I've also come up with another 7 variations of Input leads for BeoSound 8 in the process. Geeked

I hope everyone will forgive me for coming back to answer a comment from the start of the thread two days later, but I have been rather busy in the meantime.....

Kind regards,

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 11-12-2010 5:21 PM In reply to

Steve,

I don't need a BS8 and am not really interested in it, but just wanted to say well done if you have identified a way of expanding the functionality of a product 2 days after its launch!

Bravo :)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 11-12-2010 5:36 PM In reply to

Well done Steve - I might even buy one of these then! See what it sounds like in real life!

Page 3 of 6 (131 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »