in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-05-2010 1:21 AM by clifft. 130 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-12-2010 5:47 PM In reply to

Re: The BeoSound 8 - Live Review!!!

j0hnbarker:
    Steve,

I don't need a BS8 and am not really interested in it, but just wanted to say well done if you have identified a way of expanding the functionality of a product 2 days after its launch!

Bravo :)

Yes -  thumbs up

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-12-2010 5:57 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Steve,

Not being critical here.  In fact, bravo for some well done work.  However, why not just use one of your powerlink to RCA cables to run the output of the Active to the AUX input of the BS8?  What does the PC port add?

I've been doing this with a BS1 for at least a year (and also use on of these as a "poor man's BeoLink Passive" to drive a set of outdoor speakers - Wireless1 -> Your Cable PowerLink to RCA cable -> Non-Beo Receiver -> Outdoor speakers).  With the BS1, it works better if you set the Active to the "2 in one room" option so you don't get double volume up/downs and CD doesn't turn on both the BS1 CD and the master audio CD...

Stan

• 11-12-2010 6:02 PM In reply to

Hi Stan,

Fair comment!  I've also produced a Powerlink to BS8 cable for exactly this arrangement.  However, the PC Port gives a fixed line level output, meaning a clearer sound through the full range of the BS8 volume control, plus independent control of BS8 volume with respect to any other Beolab speakers connected to the Beolink Active box.

Earlier Active boxes didn't have the PC Port, so Powerlink is the only way to go for these.  Either way, BeoSound 8 makes a superb, stylish and (dare I say it!) cost-effective link room speaker. Yes -  thumbs up

Kind regards,

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 11-12-2010 6:06 PM In reply to

• BeoTom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-09-2010
    • Texas
    • Posts 45
    • Bronze Member

Well done Steve! I think this really increases the usefulness of the BS8.

• 11-12-2010 6:55 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

As per usual, judgements are formed on BeoWorld before people have even seen the product in the flesh...

But as per usual, Alex, you tell us we should pass comment after viewing the device. I've *never* changed my opinion after seeing the images, passing judgement, then seeing the device in real-life :)

I think you can make a valued judgement from the photos. Just watched that Copenhagen launch on YouTube and I grimaced when she unveiled the BS8 from under the black cover. That was my first judgement. Might improve, sure, but it's not one for me!

• 11-12-2010 7:08 PM In reply to

Exactly Moxxey

B

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 11-12-2010 7:09 PM In reply to

Oh dear...ampersand fail on the iPhone app!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 11-12-2010 7:57 PM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Moxxy, ever since the Avants and some later B&O products I have often started with the same opinion (The instant wow factor of the 80's / 90's seemed to be missing from a number of later products), but after initial dissapointment have grown to appreciate what has generally been good design.

There is no difference here, I find this design too imposing for what it does, especially considering it is a B&O product - I doubt seeing the thing in person will change this! No doubt it will grow on me, but I really don't know this time round.

However, as with every new item from B&O, I am looking forward to reviews from first buyers here!

Olly.

• 11-13-2010 1:03 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Thanks for a great review.  I can't wait to see one in the flesh to hear it and see it.  It also gets me thinking...

I wonder if the bridge is long because of the rumored next ipad iteration of having the doc connector in landscape mode?  

And also I love that the speakers "scream" at you (in a subdued way), i think this will hit the target market spot on.  

I also wonder if B&O were restricted by apple so that controller and the volume and track selector on the bridge would not have a 'click wheel' because it's a 'made for ipod, etc' product?  

I love it and I love that it has RCA's.  I could potentially plug one in under my tv and have it connected to my airport express that's already behind the tv.

:-)

• 11-13-2010 4:02 AM In reply to

The Australian Macworld review/ first impressions.

"B&O seems to be quite a polarising brand. You either love its products because of their quality and design, or deride them for their high prices. Well, with the BeoSound 8’s reasonable price there’s now no reason not to love it. Sure, $A1490 is still a lot of money for most of us, but it’s a good price for this beautiful system."

They make a comparison with the Genevasound. If first looks count, then the opinion of those who don't like the BS8 appearance might change after looking at this awful looking dock!

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 11-13-2010 2:47 PM In reply to

johnnielse:

I for one shall welcome the B&O app because:

1.  If it brings the same third-party outsource net radios provider B&O already uses for its BeoPlayer software, it is one of the most complete and well curated collections out there.  This alone may justify any price up to, say, $50.

2.  It will probably look better than Remote.app (from Apple), which, though comprehensive, is not the most aesthetically pleasant.

We'll see.

• 11-13-2010 3:53 PM In reply to

I'm not a fan of the paid app. At least not for this product. I think B&O have done a stellar job at packing everything under the sun into one box at a great price point. To include a wall bracket and a remote for free, but charge $20 for the app seems like an unnecessary wet blanket. It's not that I think the apps should be free, but I think the "everything for one price" model works well for these smaller items. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-14-2010 5:16 AM In reply to

jldmelb:

One question though, I find with my iPhone 4 that when I put it in a dock it pops up a warning that there may be interference and that the dock is not compatible. Any issues like this with the B&O dock?

I have a iPhone 3GS that brings up the same message when I plug it into iPhone/iPod connector in my car. I'm not sure whether it's the software in the phone, or the software in the third party hardware.

As for the BeoSound 8, I definitely need to see and hear one, but I'm definitely not in love with the design from the photos. I also don't think the pocket remote is so cool either. I would probably use a BeoSound 8, but for £900 the sound is going to need to be outstanding to make up for the design.

Lee, you have placed the sound in between BL6000 and BL8000, but how does it really compare with a BeoSound 1 (or even BeoSound Century) ... a much more attractive product too in my opinion? And in response to your question about alternative designs ... I was convinced (and hoping) BeoLab 11 was B&O's first iPod dock when I first saw it and had it been, I probably would own more than one!

• 11-14-2010 6:25 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

vikinger:

The Australian Macworld review/ first impressions.

"B&O seems to be quite a polarising brand. You either love its products because of their quality and design, or deride them for their high prices. Well, with the BeoSound 8’s reasonable price there’s now no reason not to love it. Sure, $A1490 is still a lot of money for most of us, but it’s a good price for this beautiful system."

They make a comparison with the Genevasound. If first looks count, then the opinion of those who don't like the BS8 appearance might change after looking at this awful looking dock!

Graham

Well so far the reviews are unanimous. The more i read about it, the more i appreciate it, and can really see myself having one as part of a relaxed mood in a small room / bedroom / beach house / friends house , seriously, this looks like a great product, and it is very affordable in comparison to a BS1 or a pair of beolabs, while being more portable, and more user friendly for the avereage joe. What's not to like, please can some people stop scutinising, just for once, it's depressing ~~~~

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-14-2010 12:00 PM In reply to

Dave:
    this looks like a great product, and it is very affordable in comparison to a BS1 or a pair of beolabs, while being more portable, and more user friendly for the avereage joe. What's not to like, please can some people stop scutinising, just for once, it's depressing ~~~~

I'm not going to blame B&O for coming out with this product, as for some reason people keep buying speaker/dock setups from all kinds of manufacturers.  I wish B&O the very best of luck, and chances are I will buy the app if it is just $20 as mentioned above.

Having said that, it will most likely be a cold day in hell before I ever purchase a speaker/dock combo.  This is  product I don't understand:

1.  If you want to plug your iPhone into your B&O setup, for goodness' sake buy a $10 input cable into your B&O Aux.  You will get top notch B&O audio quality that you can reach from any MasterLink-ed room.

2.  If you want to plug your iPhone into any other brands' stereos, do yourself a favor and buy a $1.50 input cable into your AUX.  Seriously, I see people with $2,000 worth of Sony stereo crap, and right next to it... a $600 B&W Zeppelin?  Are these people on drugs?  Have they never heard of AUX-in for their Sony?

3.  If you want to control your digital music via your Beo4 or whatever, why would you ever buy a BeoSound 8?  Have people never heard of BeoPort, BeoMedia 1 or BM 5, or even that little BOSSCOM iPod Dock doohickey.

Frankly, the only scenario where I see BeoSound 8 making any sort of sense is if I buy a summer house and absolutely don't have any sort of sound for it, not even an old TV with AUX-in abandoned by the former owners.  

Which for me is not even a scenario because I have my old 1998 BeoCenter 2300 in storage.  With a perfectly serviceable Aux-in port.

• 11-14-2010 12:23 PM In reply to

Totally disagree with the above comment. There is a complete new, young generation and this goes for most of my high earner affluent friends who simply DO NOT wish to have hifi systems, speakers everywhere and cables. They have grown up with their music on iTunes on their laptop throughout college and university. They listen to their music on the move, on the tube, whilst running, in the gym, in their cars. They are living in contemporary bijou apartments were open plan living is the order of the day. I can totally understand why they are drawn to iPod docking stations. Maybe hifi systems are suited to an older generation that is used to them but I feel us younger generation are not wanting that. we have grown up with a laptop that does everything from play music, to make CDs and DVDs, that allows us to perform graphic design, do business, share photographs and keep in touch with friends the world over!

I feel B&O will make a new fan base with this system and wish them the best of luck with it. Hopefully it will be the start of their range and they will bring a more compact version out!

• 11-14-2010 12:25 PM In reply to

Xavier,

You make a very good point and on the whole I agree entirely with your comments. I do play MP3s via my BeoLab 3s, but some people are not always fussy about such top audio quality and sound stage. Instead, they want to go into the kitchen in the morning, slot their iPhone into the dock, charge and listen to your Recently Added playlist while munching something in 10 minutes and then straight out.

Perhaps others would not use it in this way, but this would pretty much be my use for it otherwise I would definitely play via my BeoLab 3s and MasterLinked speakers in the house.

Earlier someone mentioned a Beo6 ... can someone link me to this thread?!

• 11-14-2010 12:30 PM In reply to

Stars:

Earlier someone mentioned a Beo6 ... can someone link me to this thread?!

You'll find info here and here

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-14-2010 12:34 PM In reply to

Paul,

I'm probably even younger than you. I can assure you that never ever, will any serious AV enthusiast choose to have an iPod dock over a complete system and if they're worried about the clutter that comes with an AV setup, then they should consider B&O, as my setup has no wires on show and I challenge anyone to find a more compact loudspeaker (even passive) that has the sound and size combo of the BeoLab 3.

To bring an example to your theory, the "younger generation" you describe would wish to have ever smaller TVs, when in actual case they want bigger and bigger screens.

Not everyone is interested in having a top AV setup and for them an upper end iPod dock would be more than enough.

• 11-14-2010 12:37 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Stars:

Lee, you have placed the sound in between BL6000 and BL8000, but how does it really compare with a BeoSound 1 (or even BeoSound Century) ... a much more attractive product too in my opinion? And in response to your question about alternative designs ... I was convinced (and hoping) BeoLab 11 was B&O's first iPod dock when I first saw it and had it been, I probably would own more than one!

It's at least one and a half times better than the already excellent sounding Century and BeoSound 1.   The top end is crisper and more natural than the often harsh sounding BeoSound 1, and the midrange is truer than the more mellow sounding Century.

Bass is where the BeoSound 8 blows the pair of them out of the water. I doubt you'd come close if you strapped a Century to a BeoSound 1 !!!

The BeoSound 8 is the best sounding iPod dock i've ever heard.  Really.

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 11-14-2010 12:46 PM In reply to

Thanks for this Lee. You really have surprised me with this info ... I look forward to hearing and seeing one for myself!

• 11-14-2010 2:13 PM In reply to

Paul Winn:
    affluent friends who simply DO NOT wish to have hifi systems, speakers everywhere and cables

Well, this is why I wrote that the only scenario where this is a rational purchase for people like me is the summer house where there is no other speaker/amp setup.  

Likewise, if a young person has no other audio setup, then BS 8 makes perfect sense.  Although I am betting such persons do have a perfectly serviceable TV with high-quality speakers, amp, and... AUX-IN.

But to each their own.  Like I said before, I hope this will sell well for B&O.

• 11-15-2010 7:05 AM In reply to

• wasti
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-29-2008
    • Cracow, Poland
    • Posts 112
    • Gold Member

Interesting review. Good direction to expand the product range and fit it with Apple products but... the design of the BS8 is just awful.

Maybe you remember that we had a BeoWorld competition on the worst looking hi-fi ever - BS8 would be my second shoot. I like the remote though!

Wasti

• 11-15-2010 7:54 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Absolutely agree. A great deal of Bang customers look to the brand to provide an elegant solution to a stereo system. They prefer a minimal integrated system - eg Century / BS1 that is easily set up and, if required, moved that provides a quality sound and experience.

In the modern age of small rented accomodation and smaller flats / apartments, such a system is ideal. As many people have pointed out the BOSE and B&W systems have sold well.

I'm not yet convinced on the look of the 8 - but I wasn't on the 1 either. The worst thing is that this system is 5 years late, that is inexcusable. Bang may not have been in such a precarious position as it is now had they had a little more foresight and faith. The same happened with HD. They seemed to take forever to get on the bandwagon - it was like they were in complete denial. They need to open their little sleepy Danish eyes - and ears!

• 11-16-2010 3:07 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

MMMM,i think i heard enough i will wait for the mkIII nowHmm

Page 4 of 6 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >