in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-24-2010 3:55 AM by fridsten. 57 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-20-2010 4:15 PM

• wasti
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-29-2008
    • Cracow, Poland
    • Posts 112
    • Gold Member

TOP 10 designed Bang & Olufsen products ever

Hi there!

I have just finished to compilate the list of the TOP 10 designed B&O products. I am wondering if you would make a similar choice? I am open to suggestions :) I might also change the title to TOP 12 if there will be a quarrel ;)

Here is the link:

Best wishes and thanks for help!

Wasti

• 05-20-2010 4:42 PM In reply to

Re: TOP 10 designed Bang & Olufsen products ever

Honestly... I think your list was very good!

I think my #1 is the BG4000

I might swap the BL3's w/ BL4000... other than that... Yes -  thumbs up

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-20-2010 4:55 PM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Great choices but my No.1 is the Beocenter 9500. It's 20 years old and still has that absolute pleasure factor

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 05-20-2010 5:20 PM In reply to

• wasti
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-29-2008
    • Cracow, Poland
    • Posts 112
    • Gold Member

I have added the 9000 series of Beocenter. Thank you for reminding me of this great piece of art!

Wasti

• 05-20-2010 5:21 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Wow, I havn't come across the 5RG Radiogram before, that's an incredible piece of design.  Even if it was released now it would look pretty good. Sums up why I buy B&O

(Thanks Wasti, it's good when people unexpectedly learn stuff like this)

• 05-20-2010 5:23 PM In reply to

• wasti
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-29-2008
    • Cracow, Poland
    • Posts 112
    • Gold Member

Jaff, you even don't now how many doubts I had regarding wheter to add a Beosound 3000 / 3200 with the Beolab 4000 or the old Beocentury 2500 (with Beolab 2500) - I have chosen the older version though I will also add the newer version of this equipment :)

Wasti

• 05-20-2010 6:21 PM In reply to

wasti:

Hi there!

I have just finished to compilate the list of the TOP 10 designed B&O products. I am wondering if you would make a similar choice? I am open to suggestions :) I might also change the title to TOP 12 if there will be a quarrel ;)

Here is the link:

Best wishes and thanks for help!

I think your list is impressive.  However I would also include the Beolab 5's.

Your list has also given me an idea.  I have many of the items on the list in storage and had plan to sell most of the them.  However I am thinking maybe I could install some of the pieces in storage with my current system.  I could make the change every 6 months or maybe not. 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 05-21-2010 12:03 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Excellent list. Covers almost everything but IMHO you are missing the Iconic AV9000. I think this is one of the top ever, so I think it should be there.

Best regards

Spiros

• 05-21-2010 1:38 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Nice list, I agree.
    What I don't understand though, is why you took one of the first photos
    from my Beolit 39 restoration thread where a knob is missing rather than
    one of the later where it is complete ?

Another two of my favourites are the Master 40S and the Master Deluxe 40RG, the latter
    designed in the late 30's but looking like a typical late 50's or even 60's design.

Martin

• 05-21-2010 2:03 AM In reply to

• wasti
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-29-2008
    • Cracow, Poland
    • Posts 112
    • Gold Member

I am sorry Dillen, I have not noticed that. The photo looked so good that I was sure it comes from the B&O photo archive as I had a folder for good quality pictures on my computer. Funny though. I will change this asap.

Thanks Dillen for your remark! If there will be no good photo in the B&O archive may I use that one in your restoration thread? Please advise.

Wasti

Wasti

• 05-21-2010 2:20 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Of course you may.

Martin

• 05-21-2010 3:17 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

should be top 50 :) and there will still be more. BL6000 was groundbreakingly original and timeless, it has set a standard 15 years after it was designed. BeoLab 1 is another staggering piece of design, as is the bizarre-at-the-time BeoVision 5, while the BeoVision 8 is completely underrated because the design is ahead of its time

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 05-21-2010 3:39 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: The Beolit 39
    Just realized that it's actually NOT one of my own photos but
    it is definitely a photo of the exact same radio.
    Since the foto is from a danish website, I suppose it must be the owners own photo
    from before the restoration then.
    Of course, this also means that I am not the one to ask permission to use the photo.
    You are free to use any of mine; http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/18607.aspx

Martin

• 05-21-2010 5:11 AM In reply to

• fridsten
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 167
    • Founder

My list would look something like this:

#1 - Beocenter 9500

#2 - Beovision 10

#3 - Beolab 4500 (not the 3000, since I prefer the green display)

#4 - Beosound 3000/3200 and Beocenter 2300 (without the tape recorder)

#5 - Beolab 5

#6 - Beolink 7000

#7 - Beolab 8000

#8 - Beosystem 6500/7000

#9 - Beolab Penta

#10 - Beocom 4

I could probably put the A8 Earphones and a Beolit 600 somewhere on the list as well, but ten products are enough.

• 05-21-2010 5:57 AM In reply to

My own personal top ten would be slightly different - but one thing I noted was Beocom 1600 was in, yet beocom 2 is out?

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 05-21-2010 10:28 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Calvin:

Wow, I havn't come across the 5RG Radiogram before, that's an incredible piece of design.  Even if it was released now it would look pretty good. Sums up why I buy B&O

The 5 RG steel is fascinating. It was actually the basis for a paper of mine in autumn quarter last year. B&O also made a stereo version of this. There are a lot of cues shared between the 5RG and the work of Marcel Breuer (mostly his chair).

Definitely my favorite of the original Peter & Svend designs.

Evan

• 05-21-2010 10:34 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

BTW, very suprised at the absence of the BeoMaster/BeoLab 5000 combo.

Evan

• 05-21-2010 10:36 AM In reply to

evman140:

Oh, that made me think of another one... the second BL5000 -the mondrian panels!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-21-2010 11:13 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

burantek:

evman140:

Oh, that made me think of another one... the second BL5000 -the mondrian panels!

Yes, I agree. Major real estate those things need!

I knew that and endless stream of suggestion would come out of this thread... As B&O tends to try really really hard in the design department Laughing

Evan

• 05-21-2010 12:29 PM In reply to

evman140:

Calvin:

The 5 RG steel is fascinating. It was actually the basis for a paper of mine in autumn quarter last year. B&O also made a stereo version of this. There are a lot of cues shared between the 5RG and the work of Marcel Breuer (mostly his chair).

EH!? The Hyperbo 5RG Steel was really more of a design exercise from what I understand - though a very beautiful one. I think maybe only single figures were made at an astronomical cost. Only two are known to exist in any shape and the one in the Struer museum is a remanufactured one. It appears in the B&O book Sound and Vision and Spark to Icon though in the book it has round black bakelite knobs. Thse have been changed to the original style square chrome buttons I seem to remember. (I thought I had taken some pictures but cannot find them!)

A stereo version would be most unlikely as there were no stereo sources! Beomuse did do an article on a 'later model' witha CD player and stereo but I believe this was probably released on the first of April!

Until recently, the sound from the Hyperbo 5RG Steel was provided by a small Sony Walkman in the draw on the left!!

• 05-21-2010 12:39 PM In reply to

If I was thinking of the top ten models, it would be a little different!

Certain models changed the direction of B&O completely so the Eliminator has to be there as does the Five Lamper. The Beolit 39 is gorgeous, even though this was the cheap model! (Not now!!) The one off Krone 1 would be on the list (This is the one I would steal from the museum!) and then up to the modern equipment - Beolab 5000 system (I get a lot for one choice!!) and then the model yet to be mentioned, the Beomaster 1900 which really changed B&O forever. The final four can be some of the ones mentioned above - less interesting!! Laughing

• 05-21-2010 2:45 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

A very good list & one I wouldn't argue with although mine would differ somewhat! I would HAVE to put the Beolink 1000 in there somewhere as it just a classicly elegant yet robust design which hides very clever & easy to use operations. All of your choices have stood the test of time which to me epitomises the term "classic".

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-21-2010 3:26 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Peter :

evman140:

Calvin:

EH!? The Hyperbo 5RG Steel was really more of a design exercise from what I understand - though a very beautiful one. I think maybe only single figures were made at an astronomical cost. Only two are known to exist in any shape and the one in the Struer museum is a remanufactured one. It appears in the B&O book Sound and Vision and Spark to Icon though in the book it has round black bakelite knobs. Thse have been changed to the original style square chrome buttons I seem to remember. (I thought I had taken some pictures but cannot find them!)

A stereo version would be most unlikely as there were no stereo sources! Beomuse did do an article on a 'later model' witha CD player and stereo but I believe this was probably released on the first of April!

Until recently, the sound from the Hyperbo 5RG Steel was provided by a small Sony Walkman in the draw on the left!!

Yes the stereo version I recall was for CDs, although I don't remember where I read abut it. I do believe there were stated production numbers for this version.

Evan

• 05-21-2010 3:49 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

but one thing I noted was Beocom 1600 was in, yet beocom 2 is out?

Probaby because the Beocom 2 is total pants to use with the worst ring tone in history John. Not really good design IMO as it doesn't fulfil the criteria to qualify it as such - beautiful I agree but pretty well 2nd rate as a telephone.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-21-2010 3:55 PM In reply to

On that basis we could make a top 10 (worst B&O) product list…It would be challenging also…..

-Dimitris

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >