in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-16-2010 11:01 AM by Tod Daniel. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-07-2010 10:50 AM

What's better - an MX6000 or an Avant 28?

I was wondering if anyone might have any particularly strong views on this, as I'm considering buying either one secondhand... 

I know the Avant is the later model and is widescreen and so on, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that the MX series have better picture quality.  Which sounds odd to me as it's an older design.

But I know very little about these things, really. Can anyone enlighten me?

• 02-07-2010 11:02 AM In reply to

Re: What's better - an MX6000 or an Avant 28?

A 28" RF Avant is loads better than an MX6000. You want proof? The 28" BV3 is basically one of the big MXs in another case, whereas the 32" BV3 is a 32" RF Avant in another case. Guess which one commands a significant premium over the other...

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-14-2010 10:45 PM In reply to

Thanks John, much appreciated.

• 02-14-2010 11:04 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

A 28" RF Avant is loads better than an MX6000. You want proof? The 28" BV3 is basically one of the big MXs in another case, whereas the 32" BV3 is a 32" RF Avant in another case. Guess which one commands a significant premium over the other...

May I ask your advice again?

I've got the offer of an Avant 32 VCR plus a DVD1 for £200.  It was two eBay auctions that didn't reach their reserve, so I offered £200, got told he'd take £250, waited and three days later he came back willing to sell for £200.  It seems like a decent price to me, having kept a weather eye on the state of the eBay market recently, but could it be too good to be true?

Is there anything I should be aware of?

The listing didn't specify which particular model it is, but as it mentioned that tapes get stuck in the VCR I'm guessing it's an early one.

It doesn't come with a remote, but I've just won an auction for a white LX2800 for £15 - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190370703184&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1343wt_958 - because it looks like it comes with a Beolink 1000.

I actually bought that to operate the MX3500 that I just bought for £20, which came without a remote.  Would it operate the Avant 32 as well though, until I can track down a Beo4?

Cheers,

Drew

• 02-15-2010 8:54 AM In reply to

I'd go for  the £200 deal in your position and (assuming it's in good working order) put the DVD1 straight back on eBay as you will get most if your money back. 

I think the Beolink 1000/Avant question came up a while ago, and if i remember it properly the answer is most functions but not all. Hopefully somneone will be along in a bit with a definitive answer.

Simon

• 02-15-2010 11:32 AM In reply to

I'd go with what Simon has said here. I'm assuming the Avant will be the curved screen rather than RF model, but even so, at £200 including the DVD1 it's a steal. If you sold the DVD1 on eBay you'd get around £150ish for it, so that makes the Avant pretty much free.

The Beolink 1000 will work with the Avant (I have both a Beo 4 and Beolink 1000 and have occasionally used the 1000 with my RF Avant) but you really do want a Beo 4 for some of the increased functionality - particularly if the Avant has the STB controller fitted.

Hope this helps :)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-16-2010 8:17 AM In reply to

Buying an Avant 32 and DVD1 - advice please?

It does!  Thanks for the advice... off to pick them up now.

• 02-16-2010 2:55 PM In reply to

• dko7113
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-04-2008
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 104
    • Gold Member

Re: Buying an Avant 32 and DVD1 - advice please?

DrewSavage:

It doesn't come with a remote, but I've just won an auction for a white LX2800 for £15 - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190370703184&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1343wt_958 - because it looks like it comes with a Beolink 1000.

It is not a Beolink 1000 - but a V Terminal: http://www.beocentral.com/products/vterm

The V Terminal does not have all the functions of a Beolink 1000.

/Erik

My Beo: BeoCom 6000, BeoCom 2500, BeoCom 1401, BeoLine, BeoVision LX6000, BeoVision LX2500, BeoVision MS6000, BeoVision MX4002, BeoVision MX1500, DVD1, BeoSound 3200, BeoSound 1, BeoLab 4000, BeoGram 4500, BeoPort, BeoPlayer, 3x Beo 4, 2x BeoLink 1000, V Terminal, Form 2, Light Control 2, BeoTime

• 02-16-2010 8:20 PM In reply to

Re: Buying an Avant 32 and DVD1 - advice please?

dko7113:

DrewSavage:

It is not a Beolink 1000 - but a V Terminal: http://www.beocentral.com/products/vterm

The V Terminal does not have all the functions of a Beolink 1000.

/Erik

Thanks Erik - do you know enough to know if the V Terminal will do enough to make an MX3500 function?

• 02-16-2010 8:28 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

I'd go with what Simon has said here. I'm assuming the Avant will be the curved screen rather than RF model, but even so, at £200 including the DVD1 it's a steal. If you sold the DVD1 on eBay you'd get around £150ish for it, so that makes the Avant pretty much free.

The Beolink 1000 will work with the Avant (I have both a Beo 4 and Beolink 1000 and have occasionally used the 1000 with my RF Avant) but you really do want a Beo 4 for some of the increased functionality - particularly if the Avant has the STB controller fitted.

Hope this helps :)

I now have a new dilemma, and not enough technical knowledge to know how to proceed...

The guy selling the Avant and DVD1 phoned me while I was on the way there, to say that the DVD1 (which had previously functioned perfectly when operated with the remote control, which I assume to be a Beo4) was not working when a DVD was put inside and the 'play' button on the front of the machine was pressed.

He was selling it on behalf of his brother-in-law, and said he'd already sold off the extra speakers and remote control.

I went and took a look anyway, and the Avant 32, by the way, looked like a *lovely* piece of kit with a great picture, and a black surround - I'd never seen one up close before.  It was definitely a curved screen model, and I rather do fancy having one now.

But I thought I'd come back and try and ask for some more advice before closing the deal, if the DVD is the more valuable section of the deal.  He didn't have a SCART lead or any kind of lead connected to it, and was just trying to operate it on its own without connecting anything to it.

Would it normally work under such circumstances, or would it demand to be connected to something first anyway?

Cheers,

Drew

• 02-16-2010 8:39 PM In reply to

My advice, keep away from the DVD1 because if it needs repair it will cost more than it's worth.. I say this in this situation because you cannot test it. Make an offer on the TV alone, you'll love the Avant. It's a great TV!!

btw, if you're looking at an MX look at either an MX7000 or MX8000 as these have active speakers and much better sound. The 6000 is a basic version.

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 02-17-2010 3:59 AM In reply to

I suggest you  what the Avant is worth to you bearing in mind it is an older model and there is no remote. Something in the 60-80 region is probably fair. Other Avants come up quite regularly on eBay with a Beo4 in place so patience will have it's own rewards.

Simon

• 02-17-2010 4:14 AM In reply to

Read this thread about the early 28 Avant.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 02-17-2010 9:26 AM In reply to

Thanks guys - so by the sound of Lee's post on that thread, early curved-screen Avant 28s have a propensity to blow tubes but early Avant 32s are far less prone to it?

Are DVD1s known to be unreliable?

I'm quite curious how he'd had the DVD working with everything all connected up, operating it with a Beo4, but it wouldn't work just on its own.  Could it be possible that it refuses to respond to the buttons on the front of it, but works fine once you've got a remote to operate it?

The other thing is that it turns out that the remote control I got with my LX2800 is a V-Terminal, rather than an actual Beolink 1000.  It looks pretty similar, though.  Would that be able to talk to a DVD1?

• 02-17-2010 3:05 PM In reply to

• dko7113
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-04-2008
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 104
    • Gold Member

The DVD1 does not have a IR-eye in it. It is operated through the connected BeoVision and its terminal. The system is called Datalink and it works trough the SCART-cable…

The DVD1 is designed to be used through a BeoVision with a Beo4 terminal, but a BeoLink 1000 will do the job too, but not with the same ease.

I am pretty sure that you cannot use the V Terminal to operate the DVD1 even if you connect it to your BeoVision LX2800, which the V Terminal was designed to control.

Later BeoVisions came with a BeoLink 1000, and the menu was redesigned, so you have to set up the sockets in a very different way from the BeoVision LX2800.

Because of the redesign of the menu, I am almost 100% sure that you cannot use the V Terminal with the later BeoVisions, they need as a minimum the BeoLink 1000, to set up sockets and operate connected equipment.

/Erik

My Beo: BeoCom 6000, BeoCom 2500, BeoCom 1401, BeoLine, BeoVision LX6000, BeoVision LX2500, BeoVision MS6000, BeoVision MX4002, BeoVision MX1500, DVD1, BeoSound 3200, BeoSound 1, BeoLab 4000, BeoGram 4500, BeoPort, BeoPlayer, 3x Beo 4, 2x BeoLink 1000, V Terminal, Form 2, Light Control 2, BeoTime

• 02-21-2010 6:56 AM In reply to

Avant is more advanced for sure.

MX is a decent TV.

Avant has weakness of the Philips CRT Grid Cathode short circuit issue.

MX does not suffer from this.

Avant is more expensive to repair.Chassis change as opposed to component level fault finding on the MX.

MX repairs needs a qualified TV Tech` as well to repair.

That said. TV`s should always be repaired by qualified TV tech.

• 02-25-2010 5:39 PM In reply to

dko7113:

The DVD1 does not have a IR-eye in it. It is operated through the connected BeoVision and its terminal. The system is called Datalink and it works trough the SCART-cable…

The DVD1 is designed to be used through a BeoVision with a Beo4 terminal, but a BeoLink 1000 will do the job too, but not with the same ease.

I am pretty sure that you cannot use the V Terminal to operate the DVD1 even if you connect it to your BeoVision LX2800, which the V Terminal was designed to control.

Later BeoVisions came with a BeoLink 1000, and the menu was redesigned, so you have to set up the sockets in a very different way from the BeoVision LX2800.

Because of the redesign of the menu, I am almost 100% sure that you cannot use the V Terminal with the later BeoVisions, they need as a minimum the BeoLink 1000, to set up sockets and operate connected equipment.

/Erik

Thanks - I've put the deal on hold for the time being... he may well have sold it by the time I go back to him, but that's the way it goes.  I've been on night shifts for the past couple of weeks and it's amazing how time flies by.

I've bought a Beolink 1000 off eBay for £20 (it's in the post at the moment, yet to arrive) and I figure if he still has the setup then I can test the DVD1 using that.  Is that right?

The question that really puzzles me is, would a DVD1 usually refuse to work if it wasn't connected up to anything?  The vendor said he'd had it working when connected up to the Avant 32 and using the Beo4 (which was the first thing he sold) and had a picture to prove it.  

But when he tried to get it going again to show me (and I think he might be genuine on this, as he rang me to warn me before I set off to see him that there might be a problem he hadn't foreseen) he didn't have the DVD1 connected up to anything and it was refusing to respond to the buttons on the front of it being pressed.

Is that normal?

• 02-25-2010 5:54 PM In reply to

If the DVD1 aint connected by scart it will not work with a Beolink remote.

The remote signal comes from the Beovision to the DVD1 or whatever is connected.

Its funny when you look at ads for dvd1 and people asking if the remote is included.

The answer is no as DVD1 is controlled through the Beovision where a remote is standard.

• 02-25-2010 6:23 PM In reply to

yes, Frede has hit the nail on the head, the Avant or the Beovision is the key for the DVD1 to work through the scart connetor, the TV remote operates the DVD player as well, so ideally a Beo4 remote

on a separate note, I would leave WELL CLEAR of any B&O DVD player, I went through 4 of them before my dealer gave me a full refund, if you do get an Avant then get a B&O DVD Controller and buy an old DVD player off ebay that is on this list

Panasonic DMR-E50 06
    Panasonic DMR-E53/DMR-E55 07
    Panasonic DVD-A360 01
    Panasonic DMR-EH54D 16

Philips DVD950 00
    Philips DVDR70/DVDR75 03
    Philips DVDR80 04
    Philips VR200 09
    Philips HDRW720 13

Pioneer DVDR-3100 05
    Pioneer DVR-530H/DVR-630H 15

Sony RDR-GX3/RDR-GX7 08
    Sony RDR-HX1010 17
    Sony RDR-GX210

NB  I have a Panasonic DVD A360 and it plays DVD's superbly on my Avant

• 02-25-2010 6:36 PM In reply to

Friedmett:

If the DVD1 aint connected by scart it will not work with a Beolink remote.

The remote signal comes from the Beovision to the DVD1 or whatever is connected.

Its funny when you look at ads for dvd1 and people asking if the remote is included.

The answer is no as DVD1 is controlled through the Beovision where a remote is standard.

Thank you!  But shouldn't the buttons on the front of the machine at least make it do *something* when a DVD is put in, even if there's no SCART lead connected to it?

Funnily enough I have just managed to buy a red-eye off eBay for £7, so maybe I will ditch the DVD1 idea anyway...

• 02-25-2010 6:37 PM In reply to

(and I still need to actually buy an Avant first anyway!)

• 02-25-2010 6:51 PM In reply to

when you say "Red Eye" , do you mean a B&O DVD Controller ??

like these recently sold ones on ebay -

item number   110465442451 or 170440129761

• 02-25-2010 7:23 PM In reply to

and just in case you missed it, these are Lee's findings over the years

Here are my findings with CRT Televisions.  I would also like the input of Jason at Iconic too here.. although he may not be as experienced (in time) dealing with the products, he invariably goes through the same rigmorole of faults and talks a lot of sense!

BeoVision 1 - Bulletproof.. never had a tube fail in all my time. Incredibly reliable.

BeoCenter 1 - Tube bulletproof, DVD Mech flaky as hell.. replaced loads.

MX Range - Tube bulletproof, never replaced one yet and never had any problems. A great TV.

AV9000 - Tube okay, seen a few blown but not loads. Usually the mechanical curtains that die or the VCR Mech goes boom.

Curved Screen Avant - 28" getting very flaky, blowing regularly.  32" seem a lot stronger, only ever seen 2 blown.

RF Screen Avant - Never had a 28" blow on me and have never heard of one going, but have seen a number of 32" versions gone.

BeoVision 3 - Never seen a 28" blown, but seen quite a few 32" versions gone. The 'Red Lines' are a dead giveaway!

As for the older LX ranges and the like, i rarely see them to be honest so cannot comment.  However, i regularly get people talking to me with LX5500's, LX6000's and the like still going strong today!!

Take from that what you will - it's just an honest account of my experiences dealing with B&O day-to-day...

• 02-25-2010 9:43 PM In reply to

ouverture:

when you say "Red Eye" , do you mean a B&O DVD Controller ??

like these recently sold ones on ebay -

item number   110465442451 or 170440129761

Yes, that's the one - mine was 220558144342... assuming I've bought the right thing then hopefully I've got a bit of a bargain there, as the other ones went for £35-£45.

But I still need to actually get an Avant - I suppose I can sell it on if not...  I had seen Lee's comments on that thread but thank you for pointing them out.  Seemingly then, the ones to avoid are the earlier 28" ones and the later flat screen 32"s?  So I guess if I want a 32" then I'm better off going for an older curved screen model and the 28 inch one to get is the RF version?

I guess it's better to take my time and get the research right rather than buy one quickly and regret it later.

Being as Beo4 remotes seem to go for around £70 a time on eBay at the moment, I guess it's a great advantage to try and get one where the remote is included in the deal?  Or would I miss out on much by trying to operate an Avant with a Beolink 1000?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, would you say having a Beo4 is necessary to operate an Avant, or just desirable?

• 02-25-2010 10:11 PM In reply to

Beo4 is definitely preferable. Consider trying to get an Avant with a built in DVD player rather than a built in VCR, and if possible one with a Beo4. The RF version is preferable..

If you sign up to Beoworld as a silver or gold member you will have access to the user guides as well!

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >