in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-17-2007 6:47 PM by sverreh. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-14-2007 1:08 PM

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Beocord VX5000 trouble

Hello.
    I've been having some troubles with two VX5000. A relative of mine has a B&O tv (some LX, can't remember which) and a VX5000 with it. The VX has been in heavy use and has been repaired many times. Some monts ago there was new problem spotted, the VX started to "forget" station tuning informations apparently. It was took to B&O repair, and they said that the electronic board has been cracked due heating and thus it has some contanct cut-outs. They didn't have parts to repair it.

Some months later I was able to buy another VX5000. The seller said that he was unable to test it but as the price was cheap, I desided to buy it. When I received it and tested, it didn't gave any video out (not by scart nor the tuner). Only some random lines. It seemed to be working mechanically fine and by headphones it gave the sound out without any troubles.

So which one I should concentrate on?

I haven't opened the original VX to take a look of the damage of the circuit boad, but I assume it wouldn't be too easy to fix. And with the "new" VX I have no idea what should I do. Or is it just some (too clever) setting for video output? All ideas will be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

Filed under:
  • 06-14-2007 6:24 PM In reply to

• cozza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 119
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beocord VX5000 trouble

Hello Lausvi,

The Beocord VX5000 is a difficult machine to work on, due to it's extensive feature set and the age of the electronics inside it. It is the only model in the VX range which contains a digital frame store circuit, and this contributes to the heat produced by the unit in operation. Almost certainly the problems with your second VCR are caused by bad electrolytic capacitors which have failed due to age and heat. The problem is that there are around 150 electros in a VX5000, so any repair is going to be very time consuming, and unless all the capacitors are done at once any repair will be short lived.

You should also be aware that the video head drum has been discontinued for this model, so if you intend to use the VCR on regular basis, you should replace it with a more modern unit.

The circuit boards are not easily separated to work on as they are wired together with a short set of interconnections which do not unplug, so you have to balance all the boards in a very awkward position to gain access to the under side.

The other well known fault with this model is the capacitors on the capstan motor can leak and destroy the capstan motor circuit board, (which is another discontinued part).

I'd advise trying to pick up a late production VX7000 or VX8000 to replace what you have, as they are pretty cheap since most people are switching over to DVD recorders and hard disk recorders these days. The later model VCRs don't run anywhere near as hot as the VX5000, don't have the same temperature related problems, and use a different capstan motor which does not fail in the same fashion.

You may still opt for repair, but I thought you should be aware of this information before you proceed.

• 06-14-2007 6:34 PM In reply to

Have to agree with cozza. The VX5000 just has too many features and runs very hot. The problem is that it is the best one - the VX7000 is much more plastic and very simplified in comparison. I don't use tape any more as I record to hard disc - much much better! I can archive to disc or tape if I want (I don't very often!) and can find what I want very easily, unlike tape.
  • 06-15-2007 3:35 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Thanks cozza and Peter!

As I was testing the later VX I took the bottom cover out and just thought that "No way! Too complex". As I read about the specifications of this unit, it's not hard to see how complicated machine this is

I think I'll try to check the circuit board damage of the original unit, just in case there is something to be done. (The another thing that popped into my mind is that after some months the analog tuning parts will got unsused as Finland switch to digital-only transmission (which IMO is the worst possible decision ever made! The digital TV is not the solution for anything and now there) The second VX would be easier in way of repairing as if it really is a bad capacitor, but as I have no idea which one to change the mission would be infinite.

And as you said Peter, it's much easier to record to disc but as the one who own's the VX and the LX-serie TV likes his B&O set (no wonder!)... He has a hard-disk digital receiver also and nowadays he perefers to use it but still the B&O remains.

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 06-15-2007 5:40 AM In reply to

Can't disagree! The LX and VX combination are lovely and very stylish as well as offering wonderful performance.
  • 06-15-2007 8:32 AM In reply to

• cozza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 119
    • Bronze Member

The VX5000 is a very attractive and feature packed VCR and represents what seems to be the peak of Bang and Olufsen's product development, when they offered more technically advanced product than the other manufacturers. I'm still  impressed by the still frame catalog tape indexing feature which I've never seen in any other model, not to mention the two way programming, auto tuning, audio recording mode and channel scan multi picture view.

It's a shame they are mostly on their last legs now - they were a pretty nice flagship model back in the day.

• 06-15-2007 11:12 AM In reply to

There was apparently a Hitachi that did something similar. My 5000 has failed with a tape stuck in it! waiting for Tim to come up to fix it! Laughing
  • 06-15-2007 6:23 PM In reply to

• sverreh
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 88
    • Founder

I believe failures to the transport mechanism is another common error on this unit.  My VX5000 has the same problem, and I have spotted several for sale on ebay over the last months said to have the same malfunction.  I have tried to open it and to make the adjustments to the standby position as devised by the manual, but the problem persists.  Anybody with a solution to this problem?

Sverre

• 06-15-2007 6:33 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I have fixed one of these mechanisms once but it took me about three days. I pulled the whole thing apart and with superglue repaired the white plastic cogwheel whithin an aluminium circular housing. Don't know how long it lasted as I sold it on eBay the day after. I did get positive feedback a couple of weeks later. It was a white Vx 5000

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-17-2007 6:47 PM In reply to

• sverreh
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 88
    • Founder

Thank you, I might try it when time allows - the digital functions makse the VX5000 stand out from the crowd.

Sverre

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)