in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-16-2009 2:39 AM by Dillen. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-15-2009 7:03 AM

Beogram 5500 series sound only on one channel

Hi,

I'd need your kind help again with my beogram.

After fixing the tracking problem, I connected everythin only to fnd out the only the right channel is working. The player is connected with the original DIN plug to a pre-amp. I had to take off the two pin's. The pre-amp is connected as well by DIN Plugs to a BS 9000. I know that this is working, as i checked that with a different record player.

I also checked that the DIN conectors of the pre-amp are OK with an adapter. The pre-amp also has chinc sockets. All tested and OK. The problem must be on the player side.

Any ideas how to narrow down the problem? I own the service manual, but have no clue what to look for.

Thanks

Mafanni

• 11-15-2009 8:33 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram 5500 series sound only on one channel

The problem is going to be one of two things - either the record player has a fault - connection or muting circuit - and this can be tested with a contiuity tester from the cartridge socket to the DIN plug with the deck on with no cartridge in, or the cartridge is bad. The MMC1-5 range has a fault with loose pins, particularly if the cartridge has been in and out a lot. Have a look at yours. If one pin seems a little proud, tap it very gently with a small hammer (the pin!) and try again. If it works, don't remove the cartridge ever again!! Smile

• 11-15-2009 9:04 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Checking the cartridge is pretty straightforward. Simply insert it up side down & press play and gently touch the stylus when the tonearm drops (ie the muting relay cuts out). If you now get noise from only the left hand channel then the cartridge is goosed. If you still get noise from the right channel then the problem is elsewhere. If the latter is the case then my first point of call would be to check the wiring in the DIN out put plug as the wires are notorious for becoming loose due to the angle the plug sits in the Beomaster.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 11-16-2009 2:39 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I agree with Chris.

Still, I noticed that you dealt with the photosensor in another thread and I can't help thinking that you may
    have caused a wire to break off when you had the black plastic carriage cover off.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)