in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-19-2007 6:46 PM by Dillen. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-10-2007 3:59 PM

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

BM4000 Tuning String

Just purchased a BM4000. One problem it has is that the Tuning String is broken. Are these easy to replace? Also, is it a special type of string?

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-10-2007 4:39 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: BM4000 Tuning String

Normal dial string is what you need. Nothing fancy here.

Restringing can always put your temper and patience to the test Laughing

you will need lots of time and strong coffee, but the Beomaster 4000 is not the worst one to deal with. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but merely the potentiometer wheel, a little wheel each end plus the knob. A spring keeps the whole thing tight. You only need to make sure that the slider moves the right way compared to the tuning. I am almost sure that the service manual gives some info but I can also mail you a couple of photos if you need. 

Unsolder a couple of wires to the potentiometer, losen 2 screws and you can take the whole bracket with all wheels out of the Beomaster, restring it and put it back in. Only thing left is to fix (I often also glue) the slider to the string.

Use the remains of the old string for length reference if you can.

Martin

• 06-11-2007 8:24 AM In reply to

• Teddy_fr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • near Angoulême, France
    • Posts 250
    • Founder

I use braid line for fishing the carp (Derbygreen Tortue 27.18Kg / 60Lbs)! Laughing

It is braided with green and white wires and looks exactly like the original

B&O tuning string.

It is so strong than it will never break again! Wink

Marc

• 06-12-2007 7:29 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I have some proper tuning drive cord Craig. Drop me your address on a PM and I'll send you some.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-12-2007 1:57 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Thanks Chris, PM sent.Stick out tongue

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-19-2007 12:41 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Well sat down last Night to replace the Tuning String. Took bthe top cover off and found the String has not snapped. What has happened is the small plastic lug which the Spring locates on has snapped off. Looks like I need a replacement plastic disc.

CraigBig Smile

• 06-19-2007 1:13 PM In reply to

It can be superglued back in place. but you'll need patience.

If you can obtain another then that is better.

• 06-19-2007 3:57 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Thanks Dave for the reply. Take it then it is a plastic that will stick with Superglue. Plastics can be a bit hit and miss when it comes to Superglue.

CraigBig Smile

• 06-19-2007 5:22 PM In reply to

I haven't eyeballed the insides of a BM4000 but it sounds like what has broken is something like this?

The image

i.e. a wheel, into which a the string is pulled by a spring that wraps around the hub and hooks onto a lug? The idea of this thing is to keep the string tensioned even if it stretches a bit. If this is what we're looking at then I've successfully mended  the equivalent in a BM2000.

What I found was that superglue simply wasn't strong enough to withstand the pull of the spring - if you succeed then great, otherwise I suggest you do what I did. With the lug completely broken off I measured the thickness of the base and cut a round nail down to the combined length of that plus the length of the lug itself. What I got was something that looked rather like a miniature top hat, only solid. I drilled out the base of the wheel where the lug had been, and pushed the modified nail though to check the fit of the new lug and clearance for the nail head - I needed to file the head of the nail a bit to get it snug. The nail came out, was treated to a dab of glue to hold it in place (I used JB Weld) and pushed back into the hole. Turning the wheel over, I was looking at a new lug made of steel, exact same size and position as the old plastic one. After that it was simply a case of letting the glue set and reassembling - the steel lug is much stronger than the original and I don't expect it to break again.

Cheers,

Steve 

• 06-19-2007 5:33 PM In reply to

Let's try that image again...

• 06-19-2007 6:46 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

My bet is that the some (or maybe all) of the three little pins protruding at the backside of the slider has broken off. The string is zig-zag'ed between them and it's very common to see one or more broken pins. (Photo shows a slider with two pins still intact).

One pin is enough if you glue the string to it. Of course, you should make sure to have the dial and tuning matched before glueing.

Steve, you did a good job and I'm sure it won't break again. Repairing using most of what is left is very rewarding but you could also have asked me for a part... Laughing

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)