in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-02-2007 9:23 AM by Medogsfat. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-01-2007 5:29 PM

• PL212
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - Seattle
    • Posts 318
    • Bronze Member

The MMC range close-up

MMC4:

Turntable Needle

MMC2:

MMC20CL:

• 06-01-2007 6:04 PM In reply to

Re: The MMC range close-up

Now you need to find a really good MMC6000 ! That has the most complex profile of all! Lovely pictures. I do have an electron microscope picture of the MMC4 somewhere which confirms that it is almost spherical!
  • 06-01-2007 6:19 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

MMC20CL (left pic) & MMC20EN which looks very much like the MMC3

I have to say your pictures are in a different league to mine Peter but in defence, mine were taken using a cheap digital camera with the lens from a microscope taped over the camera lens - oh and about 100 rather intoxicated attemptsBeerDrinks - not something I would ever consider trying sober BTWLaughing

I was quite please with my results thoughCool

I have to admit to being in total awe of the stone cutters/setters or whatever machinery was involved in creating these gems (no pun intended) - especially the CL & MMC1/2 series which involves drilling the finest hole in a sapphire cantilever in which to set the stylus. Sapphire comes only 2nd on the MOH's scale of hardness (to diamond of course) so even the tooling for such tasks beggars belief to me.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-01-2007 6:42 PM In reply to

• PL212
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - Seattle
    • Posts 318
    • Bronze Member

Those are great shots too! I did mine with a special macro lens, but it's tricky no matter which way you go about it... with special lenses you often have only a few milimeters of focal depth to play with.

You can indeed see the hollow sapphire cantilever here (click to enlarge):

• 06-02-2007 4:49 AM In reply to

• benkap
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Oslo, Norway
    • Posts 162
    • Bronze Member

Very nice pictures, both of yous Smile

A friend of mine just started a job in a shop for professional photography gear so I might have the chance to take a close-up photo of my MMC1 soon.

• 06-02-2007 7:23 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Amazing pictures, very impressed. Do like you method Chris.WinkAs they say "Necessity is the mother of invention" or something like that.

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-02-2007 9:23 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Craig:

Amazing pictures, very impressed. Do like your method Chris.WinkAs they say "Necessity is the mother of invention" or something like that.

CraigBig Smile 

Thanks Craig.

It was just one of those strange "eureka" moments I have when I've overindulged on the alcoholBeerIdea. It's amazing the things I take to task which I would think better of in a more lucid state of mindLaughing

As with Peters photos, there are only a couple of millimetres of focal length to play with which makes the task extremely difficul with a rather unsteay hand (& mind).hence the 100's of attempt to get just the one decent pic'.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)