in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-23-2009 3:38 PM by Keith Saunders. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-11-2009 4:43 PM

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Updating Avant STB Controller

Just been looking through the STB list on my Avant, I cannot see a SKY box listed. Are updates still available for older Avants, Mine is a type 8103, which I believe is a MK3 or MK4 50HZ.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 01-11-2009 4:48 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Updating Avant STB Controller

It won't be called a 'Sky' box, it'll be the brand/model number of your Sky box. For example, the Pace 3100 (don't know if this one is actually on the list though, it's just an example).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-11-2009 5:00 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Alex, I never thought of that. On my BV3-32 it is listed as SKY Digital though.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 01-11-2009 5:08 PM In reply to

I believe it is usually labelled Sky somewhere in the name - I think you need a software update.
  • 01-11-2009 5:24 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Peter :
    I believe it is usually labelled Sky somewhere in the name - I think you need a software update.

Are the still available, and any idea of the price?

CraigSmile 

• 01-11-2009 5:37 PM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

There is an update available which has both Sky digital and Sky HD in the list.

You need to change the STB-C chip rather than simply upgrade the software. In the UK the latest chip is 4.01. 

Its pretty easy to do but you will have to take the back of the Avant off and expose all the gubbins inside. It then just a case of carefully pulling the old chip off and pushing the new one in.

32" RF VCR Avant, 2 x 28" VCR Avant, DVD1, Beocom 6000, Beo5, A9 Keyring!

• 01-11-2009 5:47 PM In reply to

You are correct - software updates for this range of sets involves changing the chip and they are available. The latest flat screensets can be flashed with the service tool.
  • 01-11-2009 5:54 PM In reply to

What STB should I be using for a SKY+ box?

Sky Digital doesn't seem to work, do I need the SKY HD one?

Cheers

GUY

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 01-11-2009 5:59 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

k984942:

There is an update available which has both Sky digital and Sky HD in the list.

You need to change the STB-C chip rather than simply upgrade the software. In the UK the latest chip is 4.01. 

Its pretty easy to do but you will have to take the back of the Avant off and expose all the gubbins inside. It then just a case of carefully pulling the old chip off and pushing the new one in.

Great, I could do that no problem. Time to talk to my dealer I think then, need to order an I.R. blaster lead aswell.Wink We are just about to have SKY Multiroom installed and I don't want to have two remotes.Laughing

CraigSmile

• 01-11-2009 6:21 PM In reply to

PACE SKY+ is the option you need.

A £15 chip and then £60 upwards to do a 5 minute job.

• 01-12-2009 1:52 AM In reply to

The chips available for each region are:-

North Europe     version 4.00 part number 8344784
    West Europe     version 4.01 part number 8344785
    Central Europe  version 4.06  part number 8344786
    South Europe    version 4.03  part number 8344787
    Asia                 version 4.04 part number 8344788

The task of fitting the new chip takes a little longer than 5 minutes because it first has to be removed from the reverse side of the main board and is held on with four (4) star type screws.

Below is a picture of the STB-C module taken from the set and the screen cap removed.

Regards Keith....

• 01-12-2009 8:30 AM In reply to

How do you order the chip? - is it direct from the dealer - mine didn't seem interested in me ordering it and kept referring to an angineer call out - all in all they wanted about £150 - if the chip is only £15 I can install it myself.

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 01-12-2009 9:31 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

ajames,

My local dealer was the same. In fact, he told me that no more chips were being made for the Avant. Actually, let me name and shame him....Kingston Upon Thames store!

I just contacted another dealer in a different area and they were more than happy to supply the chip. In fact, they even suggested I do it myself since its such a simple job to do it yourself.

On the downside, the other dealer did tell me that it would support Virgin V+ (which it doesnt). I suppose this is part of the problem for B&O, the dealers are just not up to scratch.

32" RF VCR Avant, 2 x 28" VCR Avant, DVD1, Beocom 6000, Beo5, A9 Keyring!

• 01-23-2009 2:45 PM In reply to

Hi Keith - I am unsure if you have ever changed an STB-C chip, because there are no screws to remove at all.  On the right hand side of the board is a clip which holds the PCB in place, apply pressure to that and the board in its entirety comes away.  5 mins is generous from start to finish (including taking the back of the Avant off) - be sure to wear an earthing strap.   

• 01-23-2009 2:49 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

KingOfSnake:

Hi Keith - I am unsure if you have ever changed an STB-C chip, because there are no screws to remove at all.  On the right hand side of the board is a clip which holds the PCB in place, apply pressure to that and the board in its entirety comes away.  5 mins is generous from start to finish (including taking the back of the Avant off) - be sure to wear an earthing strap.   

Wish I had read this post first, I ended up removing the 4 screws and the frame that holds the PCB. All in all I would say it took me about 20 mins. Works perfectly now, quite plesed with myself. Last time I tried anything like this I blew the power supply in my MX5500.LaughingLaughing

CraigSmile

• 01-23-2009 3:38 PM In reply to

• Keith Saunders
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Technical Advisor Little Ann Hampshire, UK
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

KingOfSnake:

I have indeed changed the chip. I think you will find that is not true on all AVANT versions.

Regards

Keith...

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)