in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-07-2008 3:58 AM by Peter. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-06-2008 12:47 PM

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

CDX problem

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a Beogram CDX in beautiful condition. I hooked it up to my B&O system, and found that all the controls and lights work properly and that the speed seems correct. However, there is a lot of distortion, making it sound like an improperly tuned radio station. I love the looks of this piece and I'm hoping it can be repaired! Any suggestions?

Thanks, Aaron

• 12-06-2008 4:23 PM In reply to

Re: CDX problem

Which socket have you plugged it into? I wonder if it is the Phono socket on your 2400! It should be the Tape socket.
  • 12-06-2008 7:25 PM In reply to

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

Hi Peter,

The only connections on the CDX are 2 RCA cables. I have a special order DIN to RCA connector which allows to connect the CDX to my 2400. I did have the DIN connected to the Tape socket. The several times I tried playing it, I got heavy static. MIRACLES DO HAPPEN. After reading your response, I hooked the CDX up to an NAD reciever and got the same static sound. I pressed Pause which stopped the music, but allowed the CD to continue spinning. Out of the clear blue, 5 seconds of the same static sound appeared and then went away. I pressed Play again, and low and behold, clean, clear music came out of the speakers! I've been playing it for about half an hour now, and it works and sounds fantastic!!!Party!!! I'm almost afraid to turn it off now!

Thanks for your concerned and timely response,

Aaron

• 12-07-2008 3:58 AM In reply to

Very odd! The CDX is a lovely machine - it is really a Philips CD104 in a flash box but is none the worse for that as Philips made the best CD players at that time. It is a 14 bit 4x oversampling machine which is stone age technology but which imbues the sound with an almost analogue character which is most seductive. I use one regularly. They are wonderfully robust but can suffer from poor solder joints between the circuit boards and I wonder if this is the problem with yours. there is a standard fix for this and most of the decks have already had this done but yours could have managed without up to now!
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)