in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-31-2008 3:12 AM by soundproof. 88 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (89 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-25-2008 1:40 PM

• Maniax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2008
    • Singapore
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Beolab 5 - Breaking-in of drivers?

Hi, I recently auditioned the Beolab 5s at a new B&O shop, and found the treble to have limited extension, as in they do not seem to go as high as they should be, and they do sound a bit harsh too especially in orchestral pieces with strings.

Could it be that the speakers are new and not "broken in" or "run in" yet?

Can any of you Beolab 5 owners give me some feedback?

Otherwise the speakers are amazing, and I'm really contemplating getting a pair, though its still a lot of money in these times. 

• 10-25-2008 1:56 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beolab 5 - Breaking-in of drivers?

Can't say I've ever noticed anything to do with HF extension, they've always been completely transparent in this area to my ears. They definitely do need breaking in to my ears though. I've always found the bass to be a little ripe at first...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-25-2008 2:24 PM In reply to

• Maniax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2008
    • Singapore
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

And just to add one more question, I'm considering buying a 2nd hand pair of Beolab 5s. What do they come with in the box?

From what I gather there are

1. The speakers

2. The cleaning brush

3. The manual

4. The cables (can you list them?)

5. And possibly a CD to test the speakers?

Thank you so much! 

• 10-25-2008 2:44 PM In reply to

I have a somewhat similar opinion, the treble could, I say could be a bit more transparent. But my old speakers where ELAC 609 with "super treble drivers" (Oscar Heil drivers) 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 10-25-2008 2:49 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

I've just picked up some second-hand BL5's (thanks Lee) and they are quite frankly, superb. I also own the BL3s and BL9s and the BL5s offer a great all-round audio experience. Tracks I've heard on the BL3s or 9s sound even more dynamic with the BL5s.

However, I'd say that the treble is better balanced than on the BL9s. The same tracks on the BL9s seem treble biased and I actually prefer to listen to audio CDs through the BL3s. Indeed, if I was going to listen to the radio or audio CDs, I'd go for the 3's over the 9's.

Bear in mind that the BL5s really do overpower a small room. They are in my large-ish kitchen/dining room and the bass can shake the floor even at a low volume!

• 10-25-2008 2:57 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Agreed! Many speakers which some believe offer amazing 'transparency' (such as the JMLab Utopias, which are fantastic speakers btw) are in fact just over-emphasizing the high-end a little. Maybe this is what members here are experiencing?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-25-2008 3:05 PM In reply to

Alex, I think so too. But I'm getting more and more used to the Lab 5's and I absolutely love them.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 10-25-2008 3:10 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Many people accuse studio monitors of sounding dull, wheras in fact they're just representing the music as it's recorded - they're not modifying the sound at all, or at least as little as possible. BeoLab 5s are IMO the ultimate speaker when it comes to minimal colouration...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-25-2008 10:26 PM In reply to

• Maniax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2008
    • Singapore
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

I see, thank you for your quick replies. Yes, the thing that amazes me most is that it transports you to the venue of the music! Its not as if you are listening to a very good recording, which some of the hi end hifi would give you.

Btw, those B&O owners out there, can you help answer my question above about what's included with the speakers when you buy them originally?

Thanks a lot everyone! 

• 10-26-2008 3:21 AM In reply to

Included is: 

-The lab 5's  

-Powercords 

-Powerlink cords 

-Digital cable 

-Manual and bunch of other readable stuff

-Cleaning brush 

-A rubber cable into which you can put the powerlink and power cable for example to keep them nicely together 

That's it. 

-Andreas

• 10-26-2008 4:01 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

It's interesting. I think the best thing to do would be to listen an orchestra live, and then play a good recording on the 5's...

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-26-2008 3:14 PM In reply to

Alex:

Agreed! Many speakers which some believe offer amazing 'transparency' (such as the JMLab Utopias, which are fantastic speakers btw) are in fact just over-emphasizing the high-end a little. Maybe this is what members here are experiencing?

Hahahahahha.... Excuse me. B&O is infamous for boosting the level of treble in their loudspeakers, which I happened to have grown accustomed to. I believe what many refer to as 'transparency' is the low level of distortion they hear from ribbon/ high-tech dome tweeters. 
  • 10-26-2008 3:27 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Where did you get that information from? If anything, B&O have often seemed to roll-off the high end slightly in order to make the speakers more comfortable to listen to over extended periods.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-26-2008 3:31 PM In reply to

Ermm.. Measurements actually plus if you compare B&O with other high end speakers you do realize the elevated treble. Measurements of Beolab 9s are posted in the review of the loudspeakers in HiFi news I think. Anyways I think it is sorta of a known fact that B&O's signature sound is the elevated sense of crispness. 
  • 10-26-2008 4:20 PM In reply to

wonderfulelectric:
    Ermm.. Measurements actually plus if you compare B&O with other high end speakers you do realize the elevated treble. Measurements of Beolab 9s are posted in the review of the loudspeakers in HiFi news I think. Anyways I think it is sorta of a known fact that B&O's signature sound is the elevated sense of crispness. 

Can't agree with your statement. Totally opposite from my own experience. The ribbon treble drivers are far more elevated than any B&O.

I agree with alex, they feel comfortable even after a long period of listening. 

-Andreas

• 10-26-2008 4:53 PM In reply to

In fact, on the BL5s, the treble goes lower after 6000Hz ... according to a most knowledgeable friend of mine: "Not unusual, in order to reduce possible tape hiss, etc. on non-monitor speakers." Must confess I haven't seen any measurements showing a boosted treble. Do you have links, Wonderfulelectric?

• 10-26-2008 9:20 PM In reply to

• Maniax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2008
    • Singapore
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

For me personally, after spending 2 hours at the B&O showroom listening to a wide range of music, including pop, piano, orchestra, new age and rock, I had a headache, and so did my partner. The volume wasn't at unbearable levels, and at I honestly didn't find the sound I heard directly offending.

Could this be due to listener fatigue? I currently own electrostatic speakers which have an awesome midrange and treble that are very smooth and very easy to listen to.

• 10-27-2008 4:33 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Maybe you are just used to a slightly softer sound? I can't say I've listened to BeoLab 5s for extended periods, although I am very accustomed to their sound.

It may be down to the volume more than anything. BeoLab 5s have the ability to play tremendously loud without sounding like they're working at all. Hence, what sounds like 'normal' listening levels can actually be much louder than you think.

Theoretically, if the piano and orchestra music is giving you a headache, then so should piano and orchestra performances in real life.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-27-2008 4:45 AM In reply to

soundproof:
    In fact, on the BL5s, the treble goes lower after 6000Hz ... according to a most knowledgeable friend of mine: "Not unusual, in order to reduce possible tape hiss, etc. on non-monitor speakers." Must confess I haven't seen any measurements showing a boosted treble. Do you have links, Wonderfulelectric?

Sorry can't find the links. It was a few weeks back when a member posted the review from Hifi news here, and I happened to have read it in print too. Anyways if you still do remember the reviews for the Beolab 8000s and Beolab 1s, they were noted as having crisp treble and possessing crystalline clarity. I believe these comments are quite related to elevated treble response. Strange you mean you guys don't know about B&O's signature sound? And you call yourself fans....lol.. Oh maybe you can ask the one who helped designed the Beolab 5s who maintains an account in the forum... I forgot his username. Anyways, B&O's loudspeakers are meant to be listened off axis so I wouldn't be too hung up about the elevated treble response. A speakers neutrality or coloration comes second when it concerns listener fatigue, our ears are the most sensitive to distortion levels. The lower the distortion level, the longer we can listen to music at high levels. 

• 10-27-2008 4:56 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

wonderfulelectric:

soundproof:

Sorry can't find the links.

Try HERE

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-27-2008 6:56 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Maniax:

For me personally, after spending 2 hours at the B&O showroom listening to a wide range of music, including pop, piano, orchestra, new age and rock, I had a headache, and so did my partner. The volume wasn't at unbearable levels, and at I honestly didn't find the sound I heard directly offending.

Could this be due to listener fatigue? I currently own electrostatic speakers which have an awesome midrange and treble that are very smooth and very easy to listen to.

Maybe the head ache is from the adrenalin! I know that everytime i listen to the BL5's i feel woozy, shaky and lightheaded...

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-27-2008 8:27 AM In reply to

Oh, I feel quite comfortable in my knowledge of B&O's signature sound, having had ample occasion to sample it, and also to get it explained in detail by those who create it -- and then with the particulars of the sound signature in mind. I find your comments somewhat amusing, Wonderfulelectric, as they seem somewhat biased ... ? And what's this "B&O speakers are supposed to be listened to off axis"? B&O marketing did state (to their shame) that BeoLab 5 gave a true stereo perspective "from whatever listening position" - but let's trust that listeners still have ears, and are easily able to discern for themselves that this is not the case. But the BL5s do create a larger, more oval listening area than do common cone-shaped sound radiation speakers.

In fact, what is often perceived as an enhanced treble, is simply an approximation of the true treble of a live performance. Most hifi-setups have exaggerated bottom register and a very indistinct treble. I think the treble reproduction of the BL4000s, for instance, is excellent - and have heard it much lauded by performers.

As to the column speakers, they are lacking in the bass, and I suspect the "enhanced" treble experienced from those is due to less bass than you're used to - thus resulting in a different overall balance in the sound.

Here's a discussion of the BeoLab 5 from the Home Theatre Forum, after the speakers had been on the market for almost two years. 

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/speakers-subwoofers/211355-bang-olufsen-beolab-5-best-speaker-made-today.html

Here's the on-axis frequency response of BeoLab 5 - two meters out. The bottom curve is the phase response. From 300Hz.

And here's the nearfield small-signal response of the woofers, with the calibration set to neutral.

And here's what the Audio-Critic thought of the speakers. And he really is/was an Audio Critic, not susceptible to myths or hogwash.

If a flat frequency response is "the B&O signature sound," then so be it.

http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=34&blogId=1

• 10-27-2008 8:37 AM In reply to

Ermm... Doesn't the graph show an elevated treble response, and awfully lacking in ultimate extension too. The Beolab 8000s, 4000s, 6000s, and in fact the latest lines with lenses are meant to be listened off axis. Why do you think they want to make the lenses in the first place? So you don't have to sit right in between the speakers or toe them in to enjoy the best sound quality. The review saying that it has a flat in-room response doesn't mean the speakers are voiced to be flat flat, it just usually points to the even frequency response in particular to the bass because most loudspeakers have a wild in room bass response. And why base the whole B&O loudspeaker line on the Beolab 5? And again there's nothing wrong with a loudspeaker that has an augmented treble response. It often adds some excitement to the listening experience. I don't think B&O is most interested in a studio monitor approach to loudspeaker design but a more psychoacoustic approach. You will realize that with B&O loudspeakers, the soundstage width is often quite exaggerated, which is kinda fun in a way. 

Most high end loudspeaker designers do voice their sound in a certain way so they will have a loyal customer base. Imagine if all loudspeakers are voiced to sound flat. It will be quite boring.  

• 10-27-2008 8:46 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

wonderfulelectric:

ask the one who helped designed the Beolab 5s who maintains an account in the forum... I forgot his username.  

......and you call yourself a fan!   Stick out tongue

Dave Moulton, I believe.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-27-2008 9:43 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

wonderfulelectric:

Imagine if all loudspeakers are voiced to sound flat. It will be quite boring.  

............... or you hear the sound the Producer/Artist/Mastering Engineer committed to CD rather than some speaker manufacturers idea of what sounds better!

The choice is yoursSmile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 1 of 4 (89 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >