in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-23-2008 8:38 AM by burantek. 114 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (115 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-22-2008 2:38 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: What is BeoSound 5 needed for?

In all fairness I haven't physically used it yet! My observations are going from a number of sources who speak their mind. Not a single person I have spoken to about it has said anything negative.

The descriptions I've had (which have been of much greater detail than are available anywhere online) tell of a product which B&O have really been putting huge amounts of effort into.

As far as Sooloos goes, it's very similar to iTunes 8 with a touchscreen methinks. BeoSound 5 is completely different, and much, MUCH more exciting.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-22-2008 3:06 PM In reply to

I hear what youre saying alex and everyone.

Personally, not that it matters, is that im all bored about it, just lost interest in it. Were hearing how amazing and different it is, how we will be fascinated and all etc etc...

Maybe thats the desired effect of all this, just to get us bored again so when it does come out, it will be greeted with a wow factor...

Lets see, its due to be scheduled soon i guess... zzz

• 10-22-2008 7:55 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Well, since we're back to ripping our hair out about all of the things the BM-5/BS-5 doesn't do; let me make 2 points.

1) We are talking about a modular system here.  BeoSound 5 is an audio-specific front-end for the BeoMaster 5.  But we already know that you'll also be able to use BeoVisions as front ends as well.  We've also all heard of other controllers coming later.  Will the BeoMaster 5 stream video?  Quite possibly.  To the BeoSound 5?  No, says so right there in the name.  Internet Radio?  Frankly, we don't know at this moment.  

2)  ZOMG!  It doesn't rip it's own music!! Needs an administering PC/Mac!!  Not like the SooLoos!  Not like the Kaleidescape!  Well, OK.  You have a point.  But have you considered the price difference?  A basic Sooloos is priced at approximately 2x the BS/BM 5 combo.  The Kaleidescape at better than 3.5x.  For that amount of money, I can afford a new 20" iMac, and a long vacation!  And I wish all of you SooLoos/Kaleidescape supporters would have a quiet sit-down with all of the folks bashing the 5 for it's 'suicidal' price.

I also wish that chickens could reliably be taught to play American Football.  But that too seems fated never to be. 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 10-22-2008 8:21 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

Russ wrote: "I also wish that chickens could reliably be taught to play American Football.  But that too seems fated never to be."

@ Russ: Chickens probably can play American football, but Gamecocks can't.  You and I were born in the wrong Carolina.

More importantly, If you buy a download music file with Digital Rights Management, can you transfer that file to another connected hard drive (such as BC5)?  If so, must you lose access to that file off your original hard drive?

Ray

• 10-22-2008 8:37 PM In reply to

RussR:

Well, since we're back to ripping our hair out about all of the things the BM-5/BS-5 doesn't do; let me make 2 points.

1) We are talking about a modular system here.  BeoSound 5 is an audio-specific front-end for the BeoMaster 5.  But we already know that you'll also be able to use BeoVisions as front ends as well.  We've also all heard of other controllers coming later.  Will the BeoMaster 5 stream video?  Quite possibly.  To the BeoSound 5?  No, says so right there in the name.  Internet Radio?  Frankly, we don't know at this moment.  

2)  ZOMG!  It doesn't rip it's own music!! Needs an administering PC/Mac!!  Not like the SooLoos!  Not like the Kaleidescape!  Well, OK.  You have a point.  But have you considered the price difference?  A basic Sooloos is priced at approximately 2x the BS/BM 5 combo.  The Kaleidescape at better than 3.5x.  For that amount of money, I can afford a new 20" iMac, and a long vacation!  And I wish all of you SooLoos/Kaleidescape supporters would have a quiet sit-down with all of the folks bashing the 5 for it's 'suicidal' price.

I also wish that chickens could reliably be taught to play American Football.  But that too seems fated never to be. 

Russ,  Thanks for the information.  Its all getting a little clearer......maybe.  The joke about the chickens must be a Southeastern US joke that didn't make it west of the Ohio river.

Kaleidescape is cool but you still have to buy the physical DVD.  I saw it demonstrated with a Beovision 5.  Maybe that's changed by now but the price was way over the top for a media player.  

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 10-22-2008 10:56 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Linder,

Depending on just how far west of the Ohio you are, you may substitute 'Spartans', 'Wildcats', 'Beavers', or 'Bruins', and get the sentiment.  Or carefully research my present Avatar.  Major College program, major conference, big aspirations...constant disappointment.

Back on topic: Ray, you can transfer a DRM file anywhere you like, but in the most obvious case, only Apple devices/software will be able to play it.  It is not a technical weakness on B&O's part, it is the way the studios want it.  As an example...being a Mac/Apple guy, and having been 'forced' to buy an Xbox 360 from M$, I found a cool piece of software which fools the 360 into thinking that my iMac is a Windows Media Center...allows the 360 to see the iPhoto library, and the iTunes library, even the iTunes playlists.  Care to guess what it can't play?  Even from an authorised machine?  You betcha!  Not the DRM files.  Sorry.

Nullriver.com for those interested. 

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 10-22-2008 11:23 PM In reply to

RussR:

Depending on just how far west of the Ohio you are, you may substitute 'Spartans', 'Wildcats', 'Beavers', or 'Bruins', and get the sentiment.  Or carefully research my present Avatar.  Major College program, major conference, big aspirations...constant disappointment.

Thanks.  I understand it now.  I live in Chicago which is my avatar. 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 10-22-2008 11:57 PM In reply to

The world's a small place.

Guess who was in Columbia, S.C. the season #38 won the Heisman Trophy?
    And I did see every one of the home games, as well as a couple of aways.

• 10-23-2008 2:23 AM In reply to

russr, just a quick question if u dont mind... does this nullriver thing just stream the music etc over, or does it sync it, i.e. copy it over??
  • 10-23-2008 4:48 AM In reply to

Alex:

In all fairness I haven't physically used it yet! My observations are going from a number of sources who speak their mind. Not a single person I have spoken to about it has said anything negative.

The descriptions I've had (which have been of much greater detail than are available anywhere online) tell of a product which B&O have really been putting huge amounts of effort into.

As far as Sooloos goes, it's very similar to iTunes 8 with a touchscreen methinks. BeoSound 5 is completely different, and much, MUCH more exciting.

Hmm... How much more interesting? Can you stream videos or high res audio through it? Looking forward to its release though I am very doubtful that I will want to get it without the important features and stuff.  

Thing is that recent audiophile hard disk servers have like built-on super precise rippers which is not really used in computers. So it is still gonna lack in that area of competence. If B&O wants to produce something more akin to a media controller then a high end wifi open source D/A converter will make more sense. 

• 10-23-2008 6:24 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Rip a CD with iTunes into AIFF, WAV or Apple Lossless, burn it onto a CD at low speed, then rip disk images of both disks at the end and checksum them. The two will be identical. Modern CD drives (practically all from the last ~10 years) produce zero errors when reading even at super-high speeds. Even burners now rarely produce errors up to sensible burning speeds.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-23-2008 7:49 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Soundproof: That would have been my senioryear.

Tim: The nullriver software streams to the 360 

WonderfulElectric:  No video through the BeoSound 5.  The BeoMaster5 however is different matter, its capabilities remain to be fully explained or explored.  I do have to agree with alex here, again.:  it constantly amazes me that any of us would happily trust the least expensive pc we could imagine to make a perfect copy of a 1,00 page Excel spreadsheet, upon which our very careers may depend...at the highest possible speed...with no errors...every time...but somehow, without buying expensive external gear, even the finest, most expensive mac hine is incapable of transferring a music file without committing felonious assault on its person. 

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 10-23-2008 7:52 AM In reply to

thanks russr
  • 10-23-2008 8:05 AM In reply to

Alex:

Rip a CD with iTunes into AIFF, WAV or Apple Lossless, burn it onto a CD at low speed, then rip disk images of both disks at the end and checksum them. The two will be identical. Modern CD drives (practically all from the last ~10 years) produce zero errors when reading even at super-high speeds. Even burners now rarely produce errors up to sensible burning speeds.

Erm... Any idea why B&O doesn't want to go wifi?  

• 10-23-2008 8:38 AM In reply to

good grief, how did columbia, sc (my current locale) work into a bs5 thread!
    i am not a chicken guy, but they are growing on me!

btw, are you guys hidden bose spies? LOL

@wonder: they already have done wifi -i believe you will find little satisfaction from those using it.
    • B&o bottle opener
Page 5 of 5 (115 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5