in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-14-2007 5:00 AM by Kevin. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-10-2007 6:51 AM

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Beosystem 5500 challenge

I've got hold of a rather tired Beosystem 5500 with numerous  problems and wonder if anyone can shed any light as I'm not familiar with this system

The MCP has loose glass destroying the film that's on the underside. This is just a cosmetic issue I think.

When I first plugged in the system the MCP talked quite happily to the BM but after five minutes decided to throw up a 'no contact' message. Now it will only work if I hold the MCP a few inches away from the front of the BM. MCP has new fresh batteries. I have unpowered overnight and after reconnection it still suffers the same.  Any ideas what's happened there & where the fault is likely to lie? It doesn't have the beolink sticker on the back so it won't work with a BL1000 and I don't have access to another MCP 5500 to test.

The CD50 door won't open. Haven't had a chance to investigate properly yet. I can hear a motor working but whether that is the disc or door motor I have no idea. Maybe someone has come across this problem before.

Any input really appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve 

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 05-10-2007 8:06 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Re: Beosystem 5500 challenge

Could it have "forgotten" it's option setting and reset to option 0? Try reseting it to 1?

I thought the BL1000 worked with all the BM5500's. 

The door can sometimes be jammed on the CD50, the hinges are quite easily twisted. It could also be the rubber motor belt Martin does them. 

Still a nice sounding sytem though.

cheers,

Kevin 

• 05-10-2007 8:34 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Hi Kevin, Thanks for your input.

I've had a look at the user manual but can't see how to change/reset the options. Any idea how to do this with the MCP? Would be great if it's something simple as that.

I'm almost certain that only Bm5500's with the beolink sticker on the back - possibly later models - are the only one's capable of being operated by a BL1000. However, I will try tonight just to see.

Thanks,

Steve

• 05-10-2007 9:30 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Hi Steve,

this is the setup for the Beosystem 5500 with passive speakers from the PCG

************************* AUDIO SYSTEM SETUP **************************

Beosystem 5500
    Beovox passive

Connection Audio

Connect the Beovox to the SPEAKERS 1 socket on the audio
    master using a loudspeaker cable.

Connect the aerial to the aerial input of the audio master.

Selecting option on the audio master

Option: OPTION 1.5

Press:  STAND-BY   SOUND 1 STORE
                       SOUND 5 STORE

********************* REMOTE CONTROL FOR MAIN ROOM ********************

The recommended remote control is Beolink 1000

I've just checked my MCP and it doesn't have a sound button so the BL1000  would seem to be what you need.

Hope that helps and more importantly works! 

cheers,

Kevin 

• 05-10-2007 11:28 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Wow thanks Kevin,

I'll try it tonight & report back. Many thanks.Beer

Steve

• 05-10-2007 12:12 PM In reply to

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

Kevin:

The door can sometimes be jammed on the CD50, the hinges are quite easily twisted. It could also be the rubber motor belt Martin does them. 

cheers,

Kevin 

Kevin is probably right. Mine suffered from the same problem, a colleque of mine took it all apart(oh my GodIck!) and replaced the belt. That did the trick.

• 05-11-2007 6:51 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Stonk:

I'm almost certain that only Bm5500's with the beolink sticker on the back - possibly later models - are the only one's capable of being operated by a BL1000. However, I will try tonight just to see.

Thanks,

Steve

Heyup Steve,

As far as I'm aware ALL BM5500's are compatible with the Beolink 1000.

If you have a MK3 or later version BL1000 (the ones with the light button on the top row) just be careful not to turn on the loudness function as it cannot be undone with these models. You need a MK1 or 2 with the reset button to clear itTongue Tied

Regarding the sticker on the back you mentioned, I think these are ones which have an upgrade to allow 2 way operation with the Beolink 5000 which is not normally compatible with the BM5500.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-11-2007 9:15 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Ah great thanks Chris.

Didn't get a chance to play last night as SWMBO had other ideas.

I remember looking for a really lazy solution to operate a system in my bathroom & concocted a Heath Robinson idea which involved a tatty but working BM5500 in the attic and an IR extender dropped through the ceiling. I thought I was told that to use a BL1000 it would have to have that sticker. In the end I got properly cabled up with MCL to the main system downstairs. Like most I have countless BL1000's kicking around to test with.

Many thanks,

Steve

• 05-14-2007 4:53 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

After playing with it over the weekend I can confirm that the BM5500 does indeed operate with a BL1000. So know I know that my MCP is up the swanny!

• 05-14-2007 5:00 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

A bit of a curates egg result then.

At least you're up and running.

BTW I think the sticker things was to do with the amp being able to integrate with a masterlink system through a converter. Mine was chipped so I have it working with my Avant.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)