in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-21-2011 8:16 AM by bayerische. 128 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (129 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-27-2008 9:30 AM

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

What camera do you use?

Lately I've been considering getting a dslr, i've been debating with my dad about how much he thinks I'd use it <ie not enough!>, but I think I can justify the purchase. I was just wondering what cameras fellow beoworlders use?! does a compact point and shoot camera do it for you? Or are you big into SLR's with a huge collection of lenses? Maybe you're still using film cameras? 

I'll start us off, I currently use a Leica C Lux 2, a small compact digital camera.

All input welcomed,

Robert. 

• 05-27-2008 10:00 AM In reply to

• darren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 164
    • Bronze Member

Re: What camera do you use?

Depends on how you use your camera. D-SLR's are not the easiest to just grab and go somewhere with.

Your Leica is a very usable and I doubt that you would take any better photos with a D-SLR, after all its not the camera which composes the picture but the photographer.

• 05-27-2008 2:02 PM In reply to

Leica Dlux 2, not happy with it to be honest... had a digilux 1 which was sold "when I upgraded"...

Looks good but thats about it!

• 05-27-2008 2:11 PM In reply to

• darren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 164
    • Bronze Member

Leica's always look good. Personally never owned one, film or digital.

At the moment I use a Canon 5D with a selection of lenses, heavy kit but worth it.

• 05-27-2008 3:35 PM In reply to

We just got a Nikon D60. My girlfriend is well into photography and is very pleased with the results, though now wants more lenses as the stock one is just that - but I suppose that's the problem with all SLRs :)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 05-27-2008 4:26 PM In reply to

Nikon D70 though a lot of my pictures were taken with a Nikon Coolpix 950 - wonderful little camera!
  • 05-27-2008 5:35 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Robert, I want to first start by telling you that the dslr is only as good as the lens you put on it.  I think dslr's are wonderful.  Of the current cameras my family has, our favorite is our Canon Rebel XT.  My second favorite would probably be my old minolta SRT-101, which is probably worth little more than some pocket change now, and was made before I was born Big Smile

I think the Canon rebel's are great dslr's.  The less expensive models won't have tons of features, but can still use all the canon lenses, which I believe are arguably some of the best camera lenses out there.  Last year my dad bought this Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM and the pictures it produces are amazing.  Of course the lens cost twice the price of the camera, but we have no regrets about not having spent more money on the camera.  The lens is where it's worth it.  Don't buy a camera that already comes with a lens and expect the lens it comes with to utilize anything near the full potential of the camera.  You're better off buying the camera body alone, and then buying a simple all-purpose lens separately.  When I get a chance later today I'll post some of the shots we've taken with the canon when we were in the junlge in Sri Lanka last summer.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-400mm-Super-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00009USW3/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211923890&sr=8-1

Austin

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 05-29-2008 6:35 AM In reply to

I have a Nikon Coolpix P1 which has been great on the go, but I would like to invest in an SLR.
  • 05-29-2008 3:00 PM In reply to

• 05-29-2008 5:12 PM In reply to

• darren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 164
    • Bronze Member

mr_anders_son:
    Hasselblad H3D-39mpx Wink

Very nice, one can but dream of such a camera, not very practical for my work though.

• 05-30-2008 5:23 AM In reply to

not on vacation;)

I have D-Lux 3 at home

• 05-31-2008 8:18 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

camshaft:

Robert, I want to first start by telling you that the dslr is only as good as the lens you put on it.  I think dslr's are wonderful.  Of the current cameras my family has, our favorite is our Canon Rebel XT.  My second favorite would probably be my old minolta SRT-101, which is probably worth little more than some pocket change now, and was made before I was born Big Smile

I think the Canon rebel's are great dslr's.  The less expensive models won't have tons of features, but can still use all the canon lenses, which I believe are arguably some of the best camera lenses out there.  Last year my dad bought this Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM and the pictures it produces are amazing.  Of course the lens cost twice the price of the camera, but we have no regrets about not having spent more money on the camera.  The lens is where it's worth it.  Don't buy a camera that already comes with a lens and expect the lens it comes with to utilize anything near the full potential of the camera.  You're better off buying the camera body alone, and then buying a simple all-purpose lens separately.  When I get a chance later today I'll post some of the shots we've taken with the canon when we were in the junlge in Sri Lanka last summer.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-400mm-Super-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00009USW3/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211923890&sr=8-1

Austin

I started with a Minolta SRT-101 which my cousin gave to me, it still works. Now I use a Nikon D50 (similar to a D70), and is thinking about upgrading to a D300. I like the fact that you can use older lenses with your Nikon DSLR (Not the D40/D60 unfortunately), i have a 28mm, 50mm, 18-200mm, 80-200mm. A used D80 is an excelent bargain at the moment, many amatures have upgraded to the D300. Regarding lenses for DSLRs, remember that the camera will depreciate, the lenses will not!

Oh, I also got a Leica D-lux 3 for travelling light, and a Canon IXUS 860 for carrying with me all the time.

Go down to your dealer and try a CanonDSLR and a NikonDSLR, they are not that similar in ergonomics, layout, menues asn. Also look here: http://www.dpreview.com/ for tests and here for suggestions: http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

best regards

Christian

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 06-04-2008 9:44 AM In reply to

• oliver
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-30-2008
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

We are verry happy with a couple of Olympus bodies and even happier with a couple of Zuiko lenses, though a P&S could well be enough. However, without additional input it's almost impossible to give any serious advice.
  • 06-04-2008 10:04 AM In reply to

i too use a nikon d50 daily. good camera for a good price.

i also use an olympus ev300 -at its highest settings -it really takes great photos!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 06-04-2008 5:34 PM In reply to

• marcus
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Adelaide, South Australia
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Film: Leica M2 (older than me).

Digital: Leica Digilux 2

Point and shoot (Digital): Ricoh GRDII (RAW capture) I'm still exploring this new machine but very impressed so far.

• 06-04-2008 6:12 PM In reply to

• petep
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

I'm using a Panasonic DMC-FX3 with a Leica lens.  Very good compact camera takes great pictures.  Not too bad on machro either.  I like the OIS that Panasonic: use makes it so easy to take pictures in low light or when unsteady!

Pete.

• 06-06-2008 6:58 AM In reply to

As of 2morrow a Canon Eos 450D with a fixed focal EF 50mm (f1.4!) :-) :-)

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 06-06-2008 3:50 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

We have a Canon Eos 350D, had it for about 18 months now. When I decided to get a digital SLR I went for a Canon as I already had a Canon Eos 300V and two lenses. So I would recomend a Canon to anyone looking to buy a digital SLR, As a point about film cameras, I have not used mine since buying the 350D.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-30-2008 10:43 AM In reply to

this thread re-sparked my interest in film having shot digital for the last ~7+ years or so.
    over the last few weeks i resurrected my old ~35 year nikon nikkor el.

it was in pretty rough shape having sat dormant for nearly 20 years. it took several days of c/l/a and yesterday i ran my first roll thru it.

i had forgotten how much work film can be, but so rewarding at the same time. sadly the lens is a bit fungused, but the shots are still as impressive as they were 20 years ago.

this motivated me to pull out the old v series hasselblad and give the old girl a whirl.

@ mr. anders(son): i have googled around for a beoworld style forum for the blads. i have a found a few, but i guess i am just spoiled here. any suggestions? my interest is in the v's...

thx in advance,
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 07-02-2008 5:39 AM In reply to

We use a Olympus MJU compact 35mm for everyday use plus we have a Kodak 6490 which was our first digital camera that we bought about 4 years ago, trouble is it's a bit sluggish but takes good photos as it has a 10x optical Schneider Kruzach lens.

We are planning to get a new digital so I would welcome any suggestions that any one has, we have been looking at the Ricoh Caiplo R7 or R8 or maybe something from the Lumix range, are the Leica equivelent's any better or just more money?

• 07-02-2008 12:06 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Leica equivalents of Lumix range have just another design and a Leica logo. Everything is the same, people saying that the optics are better or the electronic set differently just haven't compared... You will get the same image, but you will be seen as a man with a Leica, not a man with a digital camera... Cool
  • 07-05-2008 6:25 PM In reply to

I've got a Konica/Minolta Dimage A2, which is a pretend DSLR.  It produces wonderful quality pictures for me, and I am very happy with it.

Natalia has a Canon Sureshot compact (I forget which one) which is also great at what it does.

I must say the camera in my iPhone has also impressed me.  Yes, it is only 2MP (not much these days...) with a tiny lens, and no flash whatseoever, but the quality is surprisingly good for what I use it for (taking  pictures of things before I dismantle them, and snapping anything funny or interesting while out and about, and that big bright screen means it is even usable in bright sunlight, where many other LCDs wash out completely.

When I was about 13 I was given my first serious camera, a Russian фед 3 rangefinder. I was amazed at the quality of the pictures it took compared to the 110 and 126 cameras I'd had previously, and loved it, but being a boy I soon managed to kill it  - trying to cure a rattle it had, I took it apart, and couldn't get it back together [:'(].

When I was 17 or so, I went to many places, saw many things  and wished I'd had a camera with me.  Now, I always have one, little exciting ever happens....

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 08-04-2008 11:59 AM In reply to

• bwaje
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-22-2007
    • Paris - France
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

Today only Pentax ist DS; but managed to earn money using :

Pentax K-1000, MX, ME super, Canon canonet QL-17, Minolta CLE, russian copies of Minox GT...

b&otien
  • 08-22-2008 4:09 PM In reply to

mr_anders_son:

not on vacation;)

I have D-Lux 3 at home

Me too Mr Anderson, lovely camera! Very happy! 

• 10-26-2008 8:19 AM In reply to

I'm a keen photographer, I've been using the Leica M8 for 15 months now, and I love it. Before that I had the Epson RD-1 and Leica M6.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

Page 1 of 6 (129 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »