in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-21-2011 8:16 AM by bayerische. 128 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (129 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-14-2010 6:54 PM In reply to

Re: What camera do you use?

burantek:

Being on a bit of a RF kick, I also picked up a Hasselblad X-Pan and I am looking REAL HARD at a Leica M6 or M6TTL.

As there are several M users here, either 6 and/or 8, I am stumbling over glass.

My choices are:

1.) Leitz -probably in the f2 range.

2.) Voigtlander (Nokton) -brilliant in f1+ range at great prices!

3.) Zeiss -ZM... big fan of Zeiss having shot them on the Hassy MF cameras.

With a mu43 adapter, I can throw any of them on the PEN as well! Any thoughts?

An M6 is far from a bad choice— I've owned one for a couple of years (Had a go with an M9 the other day, feels nowhere near as solid).

A nice used leica lens is a good choice: The prices (especially for standard focal lengths) become almost comparable to new Zeiss lenses. The Zeiss lenses are sharp, as is the Nokton, but the Leica glass, as I'm sure you know, is, on the whole, absolutely unique even wide open.

As far as I know, all M-mount lenses work with an adapter on the PEN, but remember the focal length doubling sensor size.

A word of warning, though: Just as with B&O, once you buy a Leica, it will most likely become catastrophically addictive.

Thanks.

• 07-15-2010 5:49 PM In reply to

• marcus
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Adelaide, South Australia
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

richardd:

A word of warning, though: Just as with B&O, once you buy a Leica, it will most likely become catastrophically addictive.

Never was a truer word spoken Smile

I use a Leica M6 and am slowly accumulating lenses. Frankly, the camera body is ultimately the least expensive item in your Leica kit. In the digital world, it is also likely to be the item you keep for the shortest time because of the onward march of technology. It will also have the lowest retained resale value. In contrast, the lenses will last, literally, for decades. There is no tricky autofocus, just mechanical perfection. If you plan to move to an M8, 8.1 or M9 digital body in the future, it will be helpful to purchase lenses now with 6-bit encoding to allow the body to configure itself for the optical characteristics of the attached lens. Such coding can be added later by the Leica factory, but at a cost.

Build quality and optical performance of Leica lenses is exemplary. There are generally three price points, mainly driven by speed: Summilux (f1.4) $$$; Summicron (f2) $$; Summarit (f2.5) $. (I'll ignore specialty lenses such as Noctilux in this summary.) The first two are assembled by hand and feel rock solid. The Summarit line was intended to have lower production cost because of reuse of key elements across the focal length range (35mm and 50mm share components, as do the 75mm and 90mm) thus reducing production costs. The Summarit line (I have a 75mm) does not have the physical feel of the Summicron, but is still an excellent lens and at a comparatively agreeable price.

• 07-21-2010 12:21 PM In reply to

A quick thanks! It seems that the M6 (TTL or otherwise) is held in high regard... and the value retention is amazing!

Thanks to your posts and some more research... I went from being sold on the Voigtlander glass to being sold on the Leitz glass! One quick question: Any thoughts on going straight to the M mount glass or trying the older Screw mount w/ a Leitz (or similar) adapter?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-24-2010 8:23 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

burantek:

A quick thanks! It seems that the M6 (TTL or otherwise) is held in high regard... and the value retention is amazing!

Thanks to your posts and some more research... I went from being sold on the Voigtlander glass to being sold on the Leitz glass! One quick question: Any thoughts on going straight to the M mount glass or trying the older Screw mount w/ a Leitz (or similar) adapter?

Unless you have a specialty lens you want to set up the camera for (ex. You have multiple bodies with specific lenses mated for specific uses) I'd personally avoid adaptors. They never seem to have the same quality feel as the original equipment. M lenses are just about as diverse in both types and quality these days as the Screws but also have a lot more usefulness with all the M cameras, both analog and digital, floating around. I love the M6, but with the great deals on the M8 I'd give it some serious thought. A shutter twice as fast as the M9 ( which still is fast compared to the M6) and a imager that is great for all but the widest lenses. Either way don't forget to get a great custom leather case from Luigi. You may only do it once but you'll never forget the experience ;)

-Michael

• 12-31-2010 6:30 AM In reply to

Jaff, here are some example shots of the Canon EF 50mm F1.0L.

I just got this lens, I actually bought a Canon 5D mk2, just so I could get this lens... Laughing So I'm once again back with Canon. But Canon is an excellent camera, it lack the finesse of the Leica though.

Anyway, this lens is a killer!

So anyone up for some "Bokeh"? All shots at F1.0.

Some in Black and White... The DOF is just crazy, and such wonderful rendering of the out of focus areas.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-31-2010 9:48 AM In reply to

Andreas,

Thanks so much. What a lens! While being firmly entrenched in Nikon when dealing with non-European gear -this has been very enlightening! 

That second shot is amazing -I'd frame that! It would look great w/ my wall color.

More B&o artsy shots please!

In response to all the wonderful Leica feedback from above... I hate to admit that I have done nothing but search since my last post!

I have been all over the place. I was sold on the M6TTL. Then, I wandered back to a .72 Classic -then to an M3 -and now I am hot on a IIIF kick! The glass will likely be Leitz F2. My only real interest would be w/ 50mm. Frankly, I think I have more fun "searching" than using as is often the case w/ B&o!

In the meantime, I have sold off my Olympus PEN. I have since picked up a NIKONOS V (Ploprof camera?) for fun as well as another Hassy V-series. And finally I purchased something I have wanted for a long time: Hassy H-series w/ 80 and 150.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 12-31-2010 10:44 AM In reply to

Thanks Jaff!

Yes, I will take more shots of my B&O.

If you want to frame/print the pic, I can give the original file in tiff/jpg. Just let me know. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 12-31-2010 11:06 AM In reply to

Brilliant! I will PM/email my contact address! I have a pair of matching frames ready! Thanks!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 12-31-2010 5:38 PM In reply to

I'll send you the file tomorrow Jaff. Yes -  thumbs up

-Andreas

• 01-01-2011 2:04 PM In reply to

Hi bayerische,

your pictures are looking very good.

Would you mind to send No2 to the email I have send you via PM. Do you have some raw format as well? That would be perfect.

The perspectiv you have choosen is very interesting, I ll have to grap my camera and give it a try...

Beo Time, A8, EarSet3i, EarSet2, BC2, BC6, BL3, BL11, Apple TV1, BEO Ballpen, BL2000, BL3500

Christmas 2010 Prize Draw 1st winner. BeoSound 9000 Mk3 

Thank you

• 01-01-2011 2:28 PM In reply to

Larskoelle:

Hi bayerische,

your pictures are looking very good.

Would you mind to send No2 to the email I have send you via PM. Do you have some raw format as well? That would be perfect.

The perspectiv you have choosen is very interesting, I ll have to grap my camera and give it a try...

Hi Lars,

thanks!

I've uploaded the file to your address.

-Andreas

-Andreas

• 01-01-2011 2:51 PM In reply to

Laughing You might have to start charging, Andreas!

The original as he sent is just spectacular. I rotated it 180 and set it as my desktop on a 23" Avocado monitor.

I just sent the file to my printers. I went w/ a 16x20 and I should have it next week.

Remember, I have a matching pair of frames! Wink Start clicking! Laughing

Thanks again!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-01-2011 3:32 PM In reply to

burantek:

Laughing You might have to start charging, Andreas!

The original as he sent is just spectacular. I rotated it 180 and set it as my desktop on a 23" Avocado monitor.

I just sent the file to my printers. I went w/ a 16x20 and I should have it next week.

Remember, I have a matching pair of frames! Wink Start clicking! Laughing

Thanks again!

Sounds great Jaff!!!

I won't charge you guys! Laughing

I'll click away tomorrow, had a tad of the "hangover flu" today... Big Smile

-Andreas

• 01-01-2011 3:35 PM In reply to

My favorite this far with the 50mm is this one, love the reflection of the BL5!

-Andreas

• 01-02-2011 3:56 AM In reply to

Andreas, that is just beautiful! Yes -  thumbs up

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 01-02-2011 6:25 AM In reply to

beocool:

Andreas, that is just beautiful! Yes -  thumbs up

Thank you Beek!

-Andreas

• 01-03-2011 6:29 AM In reply to

One more in the same theme...

-Andreas

• 01-03-2011 8:39 AM In reply to

bayerische:

And perfect for the second frame! Whistle

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-03-2011 10:47 AM In reply to

burantek:

bayerische:

And perfect for the second frame! Whistle

JPG will do fine?

-Andreas

• 01-04-2011 9:38 AM In reply to

Doesn't anybody want to frame the poor little FM ratio detector from my Dirigent? Sad It's hand made in Denmark!

Laughing

-mika

• 02-02-2011 11:51 AM In reply to

I'm back to back...

Couldn't resist anymore...

-Andreas

• 02-02-2011 11:57 AM In reply to

bayerische:
    Couldn't resist anymore...

Funny... I picked up a Leica "bridge" VL1 last week for fun -and took some remarkably similar shots! Laughing

P.S. Your second shot went to the printer last week!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-02-2011 11:58 AM In reply to

tournedos:
    Doesn't anybody want to frame the poor little FM ratio detector from my Dirigent?

With some creative cropping, I think it would would work!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-02-2011 12:16 PM In reply to

burantek:

tournedos:
    Doesn't anybody want to frame the poor little FM ratio detector from my Dirigent?

With some creative cropping, I think it would would work!

The 3rd IF filter might be a better starting point. These were both just ambient light snapshots for documentation purposes...

-mika

• 02-02-2011 12:20 PM In reply to

However, I have since built a ring light for purposes like this. Stuff from DealExtreme plus some junk laying around, cost perhaps $20 and one hour of work...

The camera is my Canon 30D workhorse which has been everywhere from Greenland to Tanzanian grass (sand...) plains and never complained.

-mika

Page 4 of 6 (129 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >