in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-29-2010 4:19 PM by Medogsfat. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-28-2007 11:54 PM

• jackafrica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-08-2007
    • Tasmania, Australia
    • Posts 36
    • Silver Member

Low output - left channel on 5005

I'm clogging up the forum with questions it seems. Last one on this Beogram I hope.

My Beogram 5005 is down in sound drastically on the left channel. From other searches it has been suggested that perhaps the muting switch is at fault, given that when the arm is initially lifting from the record surface, the left channel momentarily goes to normal volume, then cuts again.

While the needle is on the playing surface, the left side is " tinny " and weak - effectively inaudible.

I have had the muting switch apart, nothing wrong as far as I can tell. Could another cause be the left channel not working on the cartridge itself ? If so how do I test for that.

Or any other possible causes.

I'm happy to send the MMC4 cartridge to anyone in Australia if they would like to check that it plays correctly on their turntable. Willing to send further afield, but return postage could only be paid in aussie $ or via Paypal.

As yet I haven't been able to play any records, it's proving to be a right pain, but I'll get to the bottom of it eventually. 

Thanks, I look forward to replies. 

cheers richard
  • 12-29-2007 6:54 AM In reply to

Re: Low output - left channel on 5005

Hi Richard,

Have you tried another cartridge?

Regards Graham

• 12-29-2007 7:17 AM In reply to

• jackafrica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-08-2007
    • Tasmania, Australia
    • Posts 36
    • Silver Member

Hi Graham,

I don't have another cartridge to try, that's why I made the suggestion that I would send mine to anyone who wanted to try it.

Of course I could also have asked if anyone wanted to send a known good cartidge to try, but felt that a little cheeky given that I haven't been a member for all that long.

Are you offering ? 

cheers richard
  • 12-29-2007 8:25 AM In reply to

Unfortunately I don't have a spare. In fact I don't have any!!!

If I get hold of a working cartridge it sells straight away. I have decks that are just waiting for a good cartridge to come by.

By the time you have posted cartridge and received it back you will be well on the way to paying for a new one from Soundsmith!

Regards Graham

• 01-26-2008 1:58 PM In reply to

• Beitie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-29-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

I'm having the same problem with my BeoGram 1602 with a MMC 20EN Cartridge. I'm almost wondering though if the pre amp in my stereo is not working properly. It's so hard to tell. If you find anything out, I'd love to know also. I so want to have good sound out of my turntable.
  • 07-29-2010 7:16 AM In reply to

• Dmitry
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Rostov-on-Don, Russia
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Had everyone found out on such issue?

I have the same situation with Beogram 5005 with MMC2.

Is that a cartridge fault?

Beomaster 5500, Beogram CD50, Beogram CD5500, Beogram 5005, Beogram 5500, Beolink 1000, Beo4, Beovox 3702

• 07-29-2010 4:19 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Easy to check the MMC1 - MMC5 cartridges for channel loss. Simply fit the cartridge on its side in the tonearm & set it to play. Gently brush the stylus & if the fault has now passed over to the opposite channel then the cartridge has lost contact with the coils in one channel & is faulty & irrepairable. If the problem is still on the same channel then the fault lies somewhere within the deck/cables & connections.

Have you checked inside the DIN plug on the outlet of the Beogram? These are notorious for one or more leads becoming detached from the pins due to the angle the cable has to be bent when plugging into the stacking Beomasters. I would check this first.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)