in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-19-2007 4:50 AM by Terrapolitan. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-17-2007 3:45 PM In reply to

Re: Plasma v lcd

When I was a kid in the 1970s, CRT colour TVs were about as expensive as today's high end LCDs or low-end plasma TVs (relative to people's income that is).
    In those days, when a TV broke, we would replace the CRT.
    Can BV7s and BV9s have their panels replaced in similar fashion?
    If so, would it be possible to upgrade the panels as higher quality panels become available?

Stupid question?
  • 12-18-2007 4:40 AM In reply to

355f:
    Beolab:
    355f:
    Beolab:

The thing with the new Samsung LED LCD is the black level not the brightness level! The Samsung F96 can dim or even turn the LED lamp off.. = Zero black... The F96 consists of 400 LEDs and the processor have full control of every one!

So the brightness level are the same as on average LCD with 500cd/m2.. I experienced  it yesterday and the picture was outstanding.. It´s looks pretty funny when you look at a pitch black scene.. The screen turn of the the hole panel for a tenth of a second.. = Pitch black...

Take a look at your local dealer...

Regards 

is this the same 'pitch black' you experience on the BV7 mk111!!!

Hehe, so you think you are a funny now!?  We can discuss your plastic (Fiat) Ferrari 355 instead.. Have you bought it because you are in lack of the extra inches in the bed or??? 

Take a look here..

I sold it when realised that it was good to look at but under the bonnet lacked technical advances- rather like the bv7!

Got to love a good debate! Its great when people are passionate about something. I can understand that people feel 355f criticises the BV7 and I can see why people jump to its defence, both owners and non-owners. As a BV7 owner myself I really like reading posts on both sides because 355f speaks his mind and is honest, which is an admirable trait. Beolab and others reply with equally factual answers, which makes for interesting and thought provoking reading. This is absolutly fantastic for anyone wishing to buy a new TV as they can get an honest, reliable, independent review of current technology, which is precisely what I did for about a year before taking the plunge and buying the BV7. 355f actually likes the BV7 a lot and considers it one of the best TVs in the B&O range for its B&O'ness. I am in slight agreement with this but my heart will always go out to the BV5 because of its design which I loved; more so in fact than any product in B&O range ever. I really really did like this TV. But, in the end, I had no choice but to buy the BV7 because that was the TV that had the connectivity and most importantly for me, it was the TV that was going to retain its value far more for a trade in somewhere down the line than the BV5. I hated the fact that I had to go this route but I wanted a B&O set and that was my only option realistically. However, back in 2005, if I had been armed with £12,500 and was looking for the then top TV, I would have almost certainly come back with a BV5. I just think its shame that it hasn't retained its value for long at all. This is not something you see very often with B&O products but something we may have to start getting used to because its dictated by technology not B&O. It will be really interesting to see what TVs B&O come out with in the future. I do like the BV8 a lot and I am looking forward to seeing the BV10 although it doesn't sound like a major leap forward in terms of its design. I hope B&O will continue to suprise me. The danger is that they don't do enough and like back in the 80s, the company only just stays afloat relying on 2 or 3 best selling products. Its definitly time for B&O to get a new breed of young talented and enthusiastic designers in. I am sure there are some incredible and innovative ideas out there just waiting to come into fruition and B&O are the company to pull it off. It would be unthinkable if B&O ever collapsed. I love their company and their philosophy more than any other in the world; they have such a wonderful history with so many talented individuals and have contributed so much in their field.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 12-18-2007 4:42 AM In reply to

Terrapolitan:
    When I was a kid in the 1970s, CRT colour TVs were about as expensive as today's high end LCDs or low-end plasma TVs (relative to people's income that is).
    If so, would it be possible to upgrade the panels as higher quality panels become available?

Stupid question?

Not at all. A very good question in fact. The BeoVision 5 could be updated with newer Panasonic panels, D4-D7 possibly to D8 if I am not mistaken. However, I almost sure this isn't possible with LCD technology because of the backlight technology. Not sure about the BV9 but I suspect its possible too.

Simon. 

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 12-18-2007 5:07 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

The Beonic Man:
    Terrapolitan:

Stupid question?

Not at all. A very good question in fact. The BeoVision 5 could be updated with newer Panasonic panels, D4-D7 possibly to D8 if I am not mistaken. However, I almost sure this isn't possible with LCD technology because of the backlight technology. Not sure about the BV9 but I suspect its possible too.

Simon. 

LCD = It´s possible to change the panel... A few users on this forum have done it on their BV7-32 MK I´s to MK III panel with SW update....

(I remember i asked my dealer and Beoservice how much it would set me back to upgrade my silver BV7-40 MK II to Full HD panel without BS3 chassis before i bought the MKIII also.. And the price was about 2000€ just for panel and installation ...) 

BL8000 MkII Black

• 12-18-2007 8:35 AM In reply to

i wonder who'll take over when david lewis retires ?

popgear is grate™

• 12-18-2007 10:04 AM In reply to

Flappo The Grate:
    i wonder who'll take over when david lewis retires ?

That's the main question I think. Personally I feel that they should be taking in the new 'breed' now if they haven't already and putting them under the direction of David Lewis who clearly is a master in his field and is the right person to be guiding (and training) the new recruits. This is the most natural and logical progression from all points of view as I see it. From what I have read (so this means I could be completly misinformed) David Lewis seems to throw a lot more punch than the people he reports too, and what he says goes - always. While I admire this up to a point, I also think it is naive and does not open the field for other equally talented people to express their views and share ideas. Jacob Jenson and other designers before David Lewis created excellent products, all with the same WOW factor that David's did. In fact, there are several products David has designed that are really not very good at all, at least not from my point of view. The more ideas you have the better product you are going to come up with in terms of design and functionality. David has made his mark and nobody can take his achievements away from him but to stop the next generation from coming through for personal and 'self-preserve' gain (if this is hapenning) is clearly a mistake. This is a key area for B&O because if they get it wrong then they are in dangerous waters. Time will tell.

Simon.

• 12-18-2007 3:15 PM In reply to

personally i'd have said jonathon ive , but i think he'll have his hands full with apple after steve jobs' abdication

maybe the belgian guy 'Luc Donkerwolke' who designs the new lamborghini's ? 

the gallardo and murcialgo while being very up to the minute do continue in the countach / urraco vein i must say , well done old chap ! 

continuation of a classic theme , that's what really counts imo 

popgear is grate™

• 12-19-2007 4:50 AM In reply to

This is clearly off topic (plasma vs lcd) but I think the David Lewis discussion is interesting. 

In my view, B&O has deliberately increased the profile of Mr Lewis in the last couple of years. This is good branding and is consistent with trends we are seeing in other design-conscious consumer products (eg furniture and kitchenware). Granted it is ununsual if the field of consumer electronics with the possible exception of Apple and Mr Jobs (I know he's not the actual designer but it is good example of attaching a person to the brand).

For any transition, which could arguably be 10-20 years away, the best solution would be to slowly promote from within. The best business rely on home-grown talent (like Mr Lewis himself was) - this is true in prof football, investment banking and I'm sure it is also the case at B&O. Promotion from within has three distinct advantages: (1) it is cheaper (2) it minimises the risk of culture/ego clashes and (3) it is hugely motivating to work for an organisation which believes in its own people.

So how would you go about this? Start with a less important part of the product line-up, eg the neglected home telephones. Have you seen the new BeoCom XXXX designed by Ms XXXXXXX --- you get the idea.

Erik 
Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2