in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-30-2008 10:03 AM by Klas. 35 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-05-2008 6:50 AM In reply to

Re: BeoLab 5 and a "phantom centre" channel

Dave Moulton:
    A BeoLab 9 should work quite well as a center channel among BL5s, so long as you don't let the levels get too high!  

By the way, any and all of you (not necessarily at once!) are welcome to visit me, even watch a movie or listen to music.  So, when you are stateside shopping, just give me a call (US# 978-448-6828) and we can try to set something up.  

My B&O collection has also grown: aside from the studio (BL5s and 3s), BeoSound 1s for the kitchen/sunroom and the terrace, Avant and BeoLab 3s&2 in the living room, BeoLab 9s w 3200 in the sitting room, BeoLab 3s/3200 in the spa and BeoLab 4000s in the guest suite.  Plus BeoCom 1s and a 2.  I'm happy to demo them all!  I'll also show you my little car collection, which is beginning to get silly, if also a lot of fun.  

Best rergards!

Dave Moulton

Humm... What a terrific idea... perhaps in a near future... from lisbon, portugal.. its just a 8 h flight :)

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 01-07-2008 4:35 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Dave Moulton:
    I suggest you consider swapping out the 7.1 for a 7.4, which should integrate very nicely with the BL5s.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, a BeoLab 9 is also viable.  A BeoLab 3 would be OK (I think!) at moderate levels, but would quickly be taxed by the BL5s in action scenes - I'm afraid this might be quite audible.  

The more listening I've done regarding the phantom vs. solid center problem, the more inclined I am toward the center channel, for film/video listening.  I'm just now finishing up an article for TV Technology magazine on this very topic (you can read it in early February).  I like the phantom image fine for stereo, but for broadcast stuff and film, the center really helps.  

Thanks for listening.  

Best,

Will the upcomming BL10 meet the crtieria better or is that for looks only?

• 01-07-2008 8:39 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

soundproof:

At present I'm using a Cambridge 540R v.3 -- I'm waiting for compact receivers with proper handling of the high-resolution audio formats on BR and HD-DVD. If B&O produces one that allows me to run without a centre channel then I'll be the first in line for it. Meanwhile, I'm astonished at the quality of the inexpensive Cambridge receiver.

If you find something that do the job, let me know, I'm also searching for something like this... Maybe an upgrade of the BS3 will allow that, but I'm not sure about the fantom center channel... It's a way for B&O to sell BL7.x!!

PS : have you seen that Warner has let down HD-DVD in order to support Blu Ray only? And that Toshiba has cancelled their press conference about HD-DVD which was planified for today? I am now almost sure that the blu ray is winning the battle... (The top ten sells in HD of the biggest french DVD store shows no HD-DVD, only blu rays)

• 01-07-2008 8:51 AM In reply to

mbee:
    soundproof:

At present I'm using a Cambridge 540R v.3 -- I'm waiting for compact receivers with proper handling of the high-resolution audio formats on BR and HD-DVD. If B&O produces one that allows me to run without a centre channel then I'll be the first in line for it. Meanwhile, I'm astonished at the quality of the inexpensive Cambridge receiver.

If you find something that do the job, let me know, I'm also searching for something like this... Maybe an upgrade of the BS3 will allow that, but I'm not sure about the fantom center channel... It's a way for B&O to sell BL7.x!!

PS : have you seen that Warner has let down HD-DVD in order to support Blu Ray only? And that Toshiba has cancelled their press conference about HD-DVD which was planified for today? I am now almost sure that the blu ray is winning the battle... (The top ten sells in HD of the biggest french DVD store shows no HD-DVD, only blu rays)

Must restate, as I don't have a BeoSystem 3 I don't know whether it lets you send centre-channel info to the front speakers or not - but I believe I have read comments here to that effect.

The Cambridge is doing a great job -- Primare, Rotel and others are delayed with their HDMI 1.3 offerings, though we should be hearing something from CES this week.

(My choice of this part non-B&O setup is due to my need to incorporate Mac computers and stand-alone servers. The speakers are all B&O.) 

And I'm quite pleased if BluRay wins, also as I'm hearing rumours that Apple plans to BluRay enable the next generation of computers from the company. BluRay is the better format, given its greater storage capacity - you get full resolution sound in all channels with BR.

• 01-07-2008 9:43 AM In reply to

Blu Ray -EH????

So how does a lonely owner of a MKII _2006- BV7:32 play BR format.. is there an upgrade, or should i consider the future of upgrading... dont wanna be left behind....

Ps. Thinking about starting a Thread entitled... "Does anyone agree with me that owning B&O equipmemt is like owning a Porsche"....???

Life-is all about CHOICE....
  • 01-07-2008 10:06 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Whatever you do, keep that MKII BV7-32! If I'd known, in hindsight, how bad my new BV7-40 MKIII would be, for SD, I'd not have made the upgrade so soon - football on SD is almost unbearable. Watched the Stoke v Newcastle game last night and the MKIII wasn't capable of processing the heavy rain and movement, through SD. It was very pixelated. My advice would be get a PS3 and connect to your BV7-32 and enjoy!
  • 01-07-2008 10:44 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

As Peter has said, it's not an issue with the hardware, but a software issue in the TV. Wait a bit, and if the BeoSystem 3 is anything to go by, the BeoVision 7-40 should be stunning even with SD.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 01-07-2008 11:20 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

As Peter has said, it's not an issue with the hardware, but a software issue in the TV. Wait a bit, and if the BeoSystem 3 is anything to go by, the BeoVision 7-40 should be stunning even with SD.

I am waiting Alex, but that won't stop me sending a complaint directly to B&O. It's a bit embarrassing to be owning a £8K+ TV that shows the majority of TV programmes more poorly than my old 2004 revision MK BV7. Much worse for fast-moving SD. HD is superb though.

• 01-07-2008 12:13 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

With the LCD development I have been involved with we have been unable to resolve the issue regarding poor SD quality.

If it was a basic software issue why did BnO release it knowing that the SD picture was poor- The public demand was for 1080 and thats what BnO delivered- its no good for SD is the conclusion we came to with the factory engineers

• 01-07-2008 2:12 PM In reply to

355f:
    Alex:

With the LCD development I have been involved with we have been unable to resolve the issue regarding poor SD quality.

If it was a basic software issue why did BnO release it knowing that the SD picture was poor- The public demand was for 1080 and thats what BnO delivered- its no good for SD is the conclusion we came to with the factory engineers

This is why I stopped at 720p/1080i -- there were so many reports of SD upscaling badly to the highest resolution 1080p screens. Just recently I read an interesting article, from a Swedish magazine called M3. They had three experts and six amateurs evaluate 480p, 720p and 1080p. The experts could distinguish between 720 and 1080 when they were allowed to scrutinize the screens closely, at regular viewing distances it was not possible to see a difference with the various sources they were watching. They used a variety of screens, both LCD and Plasma. 

• 08-30-2008 10:03 AM In reply to

• Klas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Singapore
    • Posts 96
    • Founder

old thread to dust off....

Moved into new apartment; 7.1 doesn't fit below the screen anymore so tried the BL3 as center channel but very dissapointed / or rather impressed how dominant the BL5's get...

Anybody knows if the latest BS3 sw upgrade allows you to deselect a center channel and phantom your front BL5"s as the center?

Grant me the serenity to accept the B&O I can't afford

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2