in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-25-2009 9:22 AM by Stars. 194 replies.
Page 7 of 8 (195 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-24-2008 12:47 PM In reply to

Re: Beo5 - where are we?

Yes keith, what I am asking is what is the IRDesc code doing. I understand the other one (Plus Minus, SkipLeft, SkipRight, Menu...) but not this one.

p. 

• 11-24-2008 1:16 PM In reply to

The Macbook has the facility to pair remote with a particular Macbook, so if you have more than one Macbook in a room the remote will only effect the one you are paired with much like pairing with Bluetooth.

However there comes a time when you wish to un-pair the remote with the Macbook and you now have the command.

Regards Keith....

• 11-24-2008 1:33 PM In reply to

The Apple remote also feature "long press" codes, a bit like the Beo4. I have not seen those when I downloaded the XML file and did my config.

A long while ago, I played with a lintronic box, and I could see that the "repeat" code sent by the remote indicating the key was constantly pressed was the the same whatever key was pressed.

For example, if you press PLAY long time, the Apple Remote would send PLAY, then REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT... until you depress the key.

"Long" codes are really useful, you can wake up the Mac or put it to sleep. You also get a smoother up and down scrolling. You can also scrub through a song, rather than just going to the next or previous.

I'd be (many people would be) grateful if you could capture and add that REPEAT code to the XML file. 

• 11-24-2008 1:51 PM In reply to

Many remotes send the command string several times even when it is not a long press. For example the Sony remotes always send the command five times by default with at least a 33,000 microsecond gap between transmission of each burst and needs to receive at least two correctly to accept the command.

To create a repeat they use what is called a toggle bit, the toggling of this one bit defines if it is the same code being repeated or a new code is being transmitted. This toggle bit is fairly standard and is included in the new Philips RC6 protocol.

Regards Keith....

• 11-24-2008 4:09 PM In reply to

I have a complete BO system in the living room, with link in the other rooms. Nevertheless I can use all BO world in the other rooms through BO link, I cannot swich on and swich off, from the beo4, a toshiba LCD 28 and a Loewe LCD 32 in the mirror of bathroom and bedroom, respectively

Do you could confirm me that shoud exist a system to integrate into the beo 4 for controlling other TV monitors ?

thank you very much

Filed under:
  • 11-24-2008 4:22 PM In reply to

Keith Saunders:

Many remotes send the command string several times even when it is not a long press. For example the Sony remotes always send the command five times by default with at least a 33,000 microsecond gap between transmission of each burst and needs to receive at least two correctly to accept the command.

To create a repeat they use what is called a toggle bit, the toggling of this one bit defines if it is the same code being repeated or a new code is being transmitted. This toggle bit is fairly standard and is included in the new Philips RC6 protocol.

I did analyse the Apple Remote signal, and it does not repeat the same signal, but after a little while when you keep a key pressed it sends a 'Repeat' signal... repeatedly (!). The Repeat signal is the same whatever the original key that was pressed. So if you could catch that repeat signal and put it in the file, it would be useful. For example I could map GO to PlayPause, and GO LONG to Repeat, I could map UP to Plus and UP LONG to Repeat, etc... in that way we would get a total emulation of the remote including the LONG codes.

p. 

• 11-26-2008 2:22 AM In reply to

A Beo5 XML template for the Popcorn Hour A100/A110 is now available for download HERE

Regards Keith....

• 01-01-2009 2:31 PM In reply to

Wow Keith! You're great! Do you already have plans of providing a config file for the excellent Logitech Squeezebox 3?

Greetings from Switzerland
    Peter

• 01-03-2009 8:56 AM In reply to

So, where are we now ? well frankly we have come a long way since the Beo5 was first released.

Today the product allows you to:-

• Control all products which the Beo4 can/could control.
    • Supports the same large number of STB's (Set Top Boxes) you find available for the PUC 
    • Supports 3rd party products directly from the Beo5

Just before Christmas a new release of Beo5 Configuration Tool software version 2.20 was released to dealers which included a firmware update to 1.40a and I know that many members have received a copy of this new software from their dealer.

Other than general bug fixes, this new release is very focused on 3rd party products and the following are the key points:-

1. The Pulse1, Pulse2 and Carrier Frequency settings for all RC5 protocols are now fixed within the firmware.
    2. They have fixed the problems related to Repeating/Continuous IR command in RAW..
    3. They have fixed a long standing problem related to what B&O calls "Special Repeat Signal" where a repeat then a long delay did not work correctly.
    4. The “Carrier Frequency” must be defined in full in the XML file when using Firmware version 1.40a or above.

With regards to compatibility issues between Beo5 Configuration Tool version 1.30 with firmware 1.34a in the Beo5 and the new version 2.2 Configuration Tool with firmware 1.40a loaded into the Beo5, the following points should be noted:-

• Beo5 Configuration Tool version 2.20 is distributed with firmware 1.40a which will be downloaded to the Beo5 when you next download a configuration to a Beo5 where the previous version firmware has been found.
    • Version 2.20 Configuration Tool software and 1.40a firmware is backward compatible with 1.30 Tool and firmware 1.34a EXCEPT when using some 3rd party XML files.
    • 3rd Party XML files which use Philips RC5 or Bitstream protocol which worked with firmware 1.34a will also work with firmware 1.40a BUT all other XML files will no longer work without modification.
    • For 3rd party XML files previously available on the Beo5 Information & Resouces web pages have been updated and are available for download HERE
    • A new version 1.1 Beo5 3rd Party XML Generator will be made available in the coming days which addresses all compatibility issues highlighted above for Silver and Gold members.

ALL firmware changes appear to only effect 3rd Party products and the B&O product part appears unaffected.

Configuration Tool Version 2.2

As with the firmware, all the changes are really around 3rd party products EXCEPT:-

1. The addition of new product templates such as the Beomaster and Beosound 5
    2. The non-B&O sources which are mostly STB’s are now synced with the PUC meaning these products use standard Configurator commands as if they were a B&O product. In other words from a Beo5 Configuration Tool viewpoint they are like any other product and can be assigned to any socket and source type.

Regards Keith....

• 01-03-2009 11:17 AM In reply to

Keith wrote: 

• Supports the same large number of STB's (Set Top Boxes) you find available for the PUC 
  • Not correct, I know for sure that the Samsung DSB-H670N HD sat-receiver is in my PUC-list, but not in the 3rd-party sources in v. 2.2

/Frank

• 01-03-2009 11:34 AM In reply to

Frank,

Well, I guess someone at B&O missed that one, but as the STB_DSB-H670N file for the PUC exists and contains the data in a DEC formated file, it can be converted to a Beo5 XML file quite quickly.

Regards Keith....

• 01-03-2009 12:36 PM In reply to

• YannChris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Larmor-Plage, France
    • Posts 276
    • Founder

PhilLondon:
    Keith Saunders:

I did analyse the Apple Remote signal, and it does not repeat the same signal, but after a little while when you keep a key pressed it sends a 'Repeat' signal... repeatedly (!). The Repeat signal is the same whatever the original key that was pressed. So if you could catch that repeat signal and put it in the file, it would be useful. For example I could map GO to PlayPause, and GO LONG to Repeat, I could map UP to Plus and UP LONG to Repeat, etc... in that way we would get a total emulation of the remote including the LONG codes.

p. 

I agree with you Philippe, the "Long Commands" would be very useful.

May you do something about this, Keith?

Thanks and happy new year to all Beoworlders,

Yann.

Ne pas s'en faire et boire frais!

Mon install en images: cliquez sur mon profil, au dessus de mon avatar - Puis "My files" tout en bas.

Pictures of my setup: click on my nickname, above my avatar. Then "my files" at the bottom of the page.

• 01-03-2009 5:06 PM In reply to

If one is able to get hold of the 2.2 software will the software then itself upgrade the Beo5 firmware or will this have to be done by a dealer?

And is it thinkable that anyone who has the software would supply it to others ?

• 01-04-2009 3:22 AM In reply to

The Beo5 Configuration Tool version 2.20 is distributed with firmware 1.40a which will be downloaded to the Beo5 when you next download a configuration to a Beo5 where the previous version firmware has been found.

Regards Keith....

• 01-04-2009 3:55 AM In reply to

• YannChris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Larmor-Plage, France
    • Posts 276
    • Founder

Hello Keith,

You've got a PM.

Yann.

Ne pas s'en faire et boire frais!

Mon install en images: cliquez sur mon profil, au dessus de mon avatar - Puis "My files" tout en bas.

Pictures of my setup: click on my nickname, above my avatar. Then "my files" at the bottom of the page.

• 01-05-2009 5:31 AM In reply to

I wish to inform members that the Beo5 Information and Resource download page HERE now has ALL 3rd Party XML files compatible with Beo5 firmware versions 1.34a and the most recent 1.40a available with Beo5 Configuration Tool version 2.20.

Also the following XML files have been added today:-

• MVision STX5 combo SAT- DVB-T Receiver with PVR and Divx player
    • HP Windows Media Centre

Regards Keith....

• 01-06-2009 5:05 AM In reply to

I wish to inform members that the Beo5 Information and Resource download page HERE has the following XML file added today:-

• Pioneer DV-646A

Regards Keith....

• 01-06-2009 4:24 PM In reply to

• ujn2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

Why can't I set it to "Continuous" when using 3 party ir?

If I mark the checkbox and click OK, then when I enter the IR tab again the mark in the checkbox is gone.

Using firmware 1.40a with Config Tool 2.20

Here is the IR command (Sony LCD)

<source_subItem stName='Sony LCD\VolUp' stCaption='VolUp' stMenuCaption='VolUp' stScreenType='0' stIR='RAW:GlobalManual=1#ListOfFlanks=$09DA,$01CD,$02DA,$01CC,$052E,$01CC,$02DA,$01CD,$02DB,$01CD,$052E,$01CD,$02DA,$01CD,$02DA,$01CD,$052F,$01E7,$02D9,$01CD,$02D9,$01CD,$02DA,$01CC,$02DA,$6600,$09DA,$01CC,$02DA,$01CD,$052E,$01CD,$02D9,$01CC,$02DA,$01CD,$052F,$01CD,$02D9,$01CD,$02DA,$01CC,$052E,$01CC,$02F3,$01B3,$02F3,$01B3,$02F2,$01B3,$02F2,$6600,$09D8,$01CD,$02D9,$01CD,$052E,$01CD,$02DA,$01CC,$02D9,$01CD,$052F,$01CD,$02D9,$01CD,$02D9,$01CC,$052F,$01E6,$02D9,$01CC,$02D9,$01CD,$02DA,$01CD,$02DA,$6609,$09D8,$01CC,$02D9,$01CC,$052E,$01CC,$02DB,$01CD,$02DA,$01CD,$052F,$01CD,$02DA,$01CD,$02DA,$01CD,$052F,$01E6,$02D9,$01CC,$02DA,$01CD,$02D9,$01CD,$02DA,$FDE8#IRSEQUENCE=RAW#Carrier=38000#Pause1=65000#Pause2=65000#Comment=RAW FlankList: 104 flanks' stLeave='Rel 1' stIRVideoOp1='F0:TV:' stIRVideoOp2='F0:TV:' stIRVideoOp4='L_F0:TV:' stIRVideoOp5='F0:TV:' stIRVideoOp6='F0:TV:' stIRAudioOp1='F0:RADIO:' stIRAudioOp2='F0:TV:' stIRAudioOp4='L_F0:TV:' stIRAudioOp5='F0:RADIO:' stIRAudioOp6='F0:TV:' stIRVideoOp5Link='L_F0:TV:' stIRVideoOp6Link='L_F0:TV:' stIRAudioOp5Link='L_F0:RADIO:' stIRAudioOp6Link='L_F0:TV:' stIRVideoOp2Av='F0:RADIO:' stIRVideoOp4Av='L_F0:RADIO:' stIRVideoOp6Av='F0:RADIO:' stIRVideoOp6AvLink='L_F0:RADIO:' nPage='4' nX='426' nY='20' nWidth='213' nHeight='25' nRowFinal='1' nColumnFinal='2'/>

I thought that the Continues bug was fixed in the new firmware.

Also the IR range is very low, any who knows why?

• 01-07-2009 4:13 AM In reply to

You have raised two issues which are:-

1. The "Continuous" or "Repeat" function is not working
    2. The IR range appears to be very low.

The "Continuous" or "Repeat" function has been fixed in the firmware, but you need a 3rd Party XML file which makes use of the resolved function before the Beo5 will actually repeat a function. Also the repeat function CANNOT be implemented using the RAW protocol.

The "Repeat" function i.e. when you hold a button down, as you see from the RC5 protocol example below the 3rd bit is a toggle bit. This bit is inverted every time a key is released and pressed again. This way the receiver can distinguish between a key that remains down, or is pressed repeatedly.
    The next 5 bits represent the IR device address, which is sent with MSB first. The address is followed by a 6 bit command, again sent with MSB first. B&O appear to have fixed the problem in the firmware 1.40a, but that's not the end of the story, we need to change the Beo5 3rd Party XML Generator to take these changes into account. It will not be in the next version, but almost certainly will be in the following one. If all goes well, we should have version 1.1 out within the week, depending if we hit problems.

So, if you have a third party product which conforms to RC5, NEC or bitstream protocol's then the Beo5 XML can be programmed to use the repeat function, other protocols will need more research before a solution willbe provided.

With regards to your second point where you say it has very low range are caused by very short and narrow IR-range of the receivers in some third party products. Apparently, B&O has produced a Beo5 hardware update replacing one of the IR-diodes with one that matches the narrow reception angle of some systems. Both a 850 nm and a new 950 nm Infra Red diodes will be implemented in new Beo5's manufactured from February and the display unit can be replaced in existing units if needed.

Regards Keith....

• 01-07-2009 1:55 PM In reply to

• ujn2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

Keith Saunders:

So, if you have a third party product which conforms to RC5, NEC or bitstream protocol's then the Beo5 XML can be programmed to use the repeat function, other protocols will need more research before a solution willbe provided.

With regards to your second point where you say it has very low range are caused by very short and narrow IR-range of the receivers in some third party products. Apparently, B&O has produced a Beo5 hardware update replacing one of the IR-diodes with one that matches the narrow reception angle of some systems. Both a 850 nm and a new 950 nm Infra Red diodes will be implemented in new Beo5's manufactured from February and the display unit can be replaced in existing units if needed.

First of all it's a Sony LCD TV that I'm trying to control. What protocol is it using? Is there any way to use it with Beo5, but without the RAW codes?

Regarding the range, when using the original Sony remote it works about 10m away, but using the Beo5 remote will only allow 3-4m max.

Anyway, thanks for the answer.

• 01-10-2009 11:15 AM In reply to

• Klas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Singapore
    • Posts 96
    • Founder

happy new year all;

I have a MacMini connected to my BS3; i don't have the PUC or the latest BS3 software loaded but will request this from my dealer when i get back....however...following question if possible:

I want to have my Beo4 to controll my mini; what controlls does it gimmick? Does it mimmick the apple remote control (4 or the 5 commands/buttons) - or so anything else as well?

I'm running plex on my mini for all my videos; but to controll this application effeciently you preferably need a few extra buttons; like the x, c and ESC button on your keyboard.....this got me thinking that maybe the Beo 5 remote controll (which i would buy if it could help me) i would be able to add extra buttons through the configurator tool mentioned.......does the Beo5 imitate more buttons or is it only the standard buttons you can control as per the beo4/apple remote control???

kind regards
    Klas

Grant me the serenity to accept the B&O I can't afford

• 01-10-2009 11:23 AM In reply to

Klas,

You can use the Beo5 to control your mini and also add the extra buttons that you wish to use, not just the standard buttons.

Klas:

happy new year all;

I have a MacMini connected to my BS3; i don't have the PUC or the latest BS3 software loaded but will request this from my dealer when i get back....however...following question if possible:

I want to have my Beo4 to controll my mini; what controlls does it gimmick? Does it mimmick the apple remote control (4 or the 5 commands/buttons) - or so anything else as well?

I'm running plex on my mini for all my videos; but to controll this application effeciently you preferably need a few extra buttons; like the x, c and ESC button on your keyboard.....this got me thinking that maybe the Beo 5 remote controll (which i would buy if it could help me) i would be able to add extra buttons through the configurator tool mentioned.......does the Beo5 imitate more buttons or is it only the standard buttons you can control as per the beo4/apple remote control???

kind regards
    Klas

Regards Keith....

• 01-10-2009 12:16 PM In reply to

• Klas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Singapore
    • Posts 96
    • Founder

thanks Keith for quick response; especially with such good news...

I'll go and hunt for a Beo5 tomorrow if i can find one here in Singapore; otherwise i will have to find one in Beijing...

I assume i cando this customization myself using the configurator software? Do i need to get anything from my dealer or can i access everything i need from this forum?

Grant me the serenity to accept the B&O I can't afford

• 01-10-2009 12:43 PM In reply to

Klas,

When you buy a Beo5 from a B&O dealer he/she will normally configure it to your requirements using the Beo5 Configuration software tool.

This software tool is intended for dealers use only, but many provide it to their customers and if you wish to customise it yourself you will need to ask your dealer for a copy of the software.

Regards Keith....

• 01-11-2009 2:08 PM In reply to

Page 7 of 8 (195 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next >