in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-03-2007 2:36 PM by Flip. 43 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-19-2007 11:54 AM In reply to

Re: iPhone or Serenata

Iphone or Serenata?

I would choose ...none of them!

All my music is compressed in WMA, and I won't convert everything to AAC or MP3 for the Iphone, whose sound is said to be pretty average compared to B&O's.

Besides, I don't like Itunes either. 

But I won't buy Serenata, because I can't imagine wirting an SMS with that wheel. Even dialing long numbers, as I often do when being abroad, is going to be a nightmare. And the proprietary connector upsets me.For me it should have been a 50/50 music phone, not a 90/10 music/phone concept. Even the "keys" on the product say "music" or "more", but nowhere do you see "phone", until you realize it is the same key for both..quite confusing!

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 11-19-2007 2:11 PM In reply to

Actually to be fair, the phone bit works OK. But it doesn't offer much more than a relatively basic phone would. As with most phones, dialling is usually done via the memory. It doesn't seem to offer the synching with the BC6000 like the Serene though which was one thing I really liked. It is very very nice to hold though!
  • 11-19-2007 2:22 PM In reply to

iPhone or Serenata ?

Not in the same league, but I would go for the iPhone. Well designed, the bigger screen, Mac OS X & Safari inside and the tactile screen, are the elements that stimulate me to get one.

BTW, iPhone is not techologically advanced, but it looks really nice in your hand.

Guy 

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 11-20-2007 7:23 PM In reply to

Peter:
    Actually to be fair, the phone bit works OK. But it doesn't offer much more than a relatively basic phone would. As with most phones, dialling is usually done via the memory. It doesn't seem to offer the synching with the BC6000 like the Serene though which was one thing I really liked. It is very very nice to hold though!
    The syncing with the BC6000 has not been successful for me. My 2 Serenes DO NOT successfully sync with the BC6000. The numbers in all three phones have been corrupted. Most unsuccessful, as it is the ONLY feature that the Serene has over countless other mobile phones.

Patrick

• 11-21-2007 11:51 AM In reply to

• EOB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 188
    • Bronze Member

I had a brief encounter today with the seranata. A very friendly salesperson gave me a quick glance in its use. It just arrived so he didnt knew all details yet. But I very much like the idea that he galantly showed me the phone. From first look on the net I didnt like the phone for several reasons. A few technical a few design wise. Some points of critic I had before touching it were turned around in a favouratable way.Like the handling. I found it very easy. The scroll disc really works fast and more important has a good feel doing it. I loved it on the table in handsfree position. Although it probably lacks a bit in picking up from a bit longer distance. I think it should be possible to have it stand on a low table and while reclining in a sofa speaking handsfree, and yet be heard in a good manner. But as said it was a quick glance it might proof to be able to overcome it with settings,....

Biggest pro I think is that it is promoted design wise from a pebble origin. And that indeed it feels simular to such pebbles. I noticed myself wanting to play with it in my hand. Which from my point of view is a good thing. 

The thing that I have still against it is the stand I dont like it. In my view the wires etc towards the stand are a disaster and the stand itself doesnt do the seranata credit.

For example everything I like about the power adapter of the beosound 2 I miss in the seranata`s adapter aka stand.

Ahwell this was my first impresion. The beo5 is already growing on me aswell, which ididnt think it would. Looked at it today and looked better the a few days back ?....;)

• 11-21-2007 11:58 AM In reply to

I like the concept behind the Serenata, but wonder whether Motorola will get upset by the pebble references? The Superbowl 2006 featured a commercial with their pebble phone.

http://www.visit4info.com/static/advert_pages/30309.cfm?back_page=29.cfm 

• 12-01-2007 6:26 PM In reply to

• dp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

I have an iphone and... a serenata! albeit more of a borrowed serenata but still mine for now!

Anyways I thought I'd just say that both are wonderful products but each highlight the weaknesses of each other:

iphone: the speaker is awful - my previous sony freebie was miles better, i used to be able to have handsfree conversations over the loudspeaker but no-one can understand me on the iphone - and don't even start me on the music play back Angry

battery life is no more than a day - i'd hate to see it if it were to go 3G

camera's pants

but what a screen and interface! everytime I get a text and can 'see' my conversation it blows me away.

Serenata: stunning design but don't like the way the metal stand flips against the case - a bit cheap soundin/feeling. All they needed to do was add a section of rubber to 'soften' the sound

Speaker is quiet but really is the best quality on any mobile device (bar the BeoSound 3!) I've heard.

The music transfer is also easy through Windows Media which is nice.

Texting IS possible! I like predictive and find it alot easier to text than the Serene - my fingers never could learn that one!

Long post - better go but I would love to keep my Serenata because i just know there will be a new iphone every month which devalues it in my opinion!

• 12-01-2007 6:26 PM In reply to

• dp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

I have an iphone and... a serenata! albeit more of a borrowed serenata but still mine for now!

Anyways I thought I'd just say that both are wonderful products but each highlight the weaknesses of each other:

iphone: the speaker is awful - my previous sony freebie was miles better, i used to be able to have handsfree conversations over the loudspeaker but no-one can understand me on the iphone - and don't even start me on the music play back Angry

battery life is no more than a day - i'd hate to see it if it were to go 3G

camera's pants

but what a screen and interface! everytime I get a text and can 'see' my conversation it blows me away.

Serenata: stunning design but don't like the way the metal stand flips against the case - a bit cheap soundin/feeling. All they needed to do was add a section of rubber to 'soften' the sound

Speaker is quiet but really is the best quality on any mobile device (bar the BeoSound 3!) I've heard.

The music transfer is also easy through Windows Media which is nice.

Texting IS possible! I like predictive and find it alot easier to text than the Serene - my fingers never could learn that one!

Long post - better go but I would love to keep my Serenata because i just know there will be a new iphone every month which devalues it in my opinion!

• 12-01-2007 6:30 PM In reply to

• dp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

whoops double post!
  • 12-01-2007 8:36 PM In reply to

The iPhone is very impressive, of that there is no doubt. However, I would never buy it on the basis that its a mass market, just as the iPod was and I like to be unique, which is why I buy B&O. Even if B&O don't have a product to compete with an iPhone I still choose to have the exclusivity. That is a reflection of my personality. If B&O become too mainstream then I would almost certainly start looking elsewhere but for the moment I am happy.

If you don't care about something like this then the iPhone is the best product to buy. You can join millions of others who all have the same.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 12-02-2007 5:40 AM In reply to

The Beonic Man:

The iPhone is very impressive, of that there is no doubt. However, I would never buy it on the basis that its a mass market, just as the iPod was and I like to be unique, which is why I buy B&O. Even if B&O don't have a product to compete with an iPhone I still choose to have the exclusivity. That is a reflection of my personality. If B&O become too mainstream then I would almost certainly start looking elsewhere but for the moment I am happy.

If you don't care about something like this then the iPhone is the best product to buy. You can join millions of others who all have the same.

Simon.

Well spoken, Simon! 

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 12-02-2007 6:07 AM In reply to

The Beonic Man:

Simon.

This goes to the crux of B&O's dilemma. Exclusivity versus mass market appeal. If B&O is threatened by a wider appeal, then it should close all its dealerships. As it is today, store traffic is not what it should be and you can only improve upon that by appealing to a larger audience. If B&O wants to achieve the revenue required to keep us Beoworlders from complaining about B&O functionality, then B&O needs to sell more in order to fund R&D.

At any rate, the fact that the iPod has become a mass market product (and its ubiquity is actually a problem for the brand, as it's an opportunity for Apple sales) is due to its superior functionality and interaction with other services and sources -- and not a result of a lack of discernment in the target audience. Even Microsoft have tried to "improve" upon the iPod. 

But what do you want, Beonic Man? You seem very keen on getting the most out of the technology in your B&O, and at the same time in this post you state you want esoteric exclusivity. The two do not compute today - unless B&O goes the BeoVision 10 route with everything, aiming exclusively at the top-top-top end of the ostentatious luxury market ... which could definitely be a path for the brand, but then there wouldn't be 4000 BeoWorlders.

When the LVMH group delivers luxury through its wines, spirits, cosmetics and apparel it doesn't have to worry about being technically on top of the market - in fact, its focus is classic luxury, which takes the stress out of R&D.
    It's a completely different game for B&O, since the technical element it delivers is considered crucial, partly because of the past positioning of B&O as leading the market in tech savvy. That's become a lot harder in the digital age.

So - B&O could do what Goldmund is doing, which is abandon mass market completely, and focus on USD 1.000.000 and up audio and home cinema systems (and there's actually a considerable market for these), which means pulling the rug out from under the dealer network; or else try and support said network with products that pull traffic in from the stream of passersby.

Anyway, comparing the Serenata and the iPhone is oranges and apples (sic). Two different animals entirely. It's like comparing a Bentley and a Porsche - you don't buy those cars for the same reasons.

• 12-02-2007 7:57 AM In reply to

I already have what I want so I am happy and content. I have a television that although it is not the picture quality of an Avant, it is completly unique in its styling - the way it turns when I switch it on, the electronic curtain that opens, the DVD player that flips out and the way that the 7-2 speaker hangs down. I have a BeoSound 9000 that looks like no other stereo system on the planet and brings me complete joy and a big smile on my face every time I turn it on. I have a BeoSound 3 which is so neat with its arial that pops out and its portability that makes it great to move around - and I do, often. I have a Beo 5 remote to control it all that is so unique and stands out from any other remote out their. I have an A9 keyring that I love switching my equipment on and off with when I leave/enter my home. I have a BeoCom 2 and several BeoCom 6000 phones which I love using so much that I start looking forward to getting a phonecall. I have equipment that gives me complete joy and sparks interest and a real talking point when people come over. They don't say, "Oh, another iPod/iPhone" they say, "WOW! That is so cool Simon, I have never seen anything like it in my life! What is it? Play something!" 

That is what I want, that is what I have, that is why I love B&O, that is why I buy only B&O. It has always been about styling for me and nobody does it better than B&O. But that is just my reasoning for my love and loyalty to this brand. Everyone is different and if they get as much pleasure or more from alternative brands then that it is great and as it should be. I have made my choices for myself.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 12-02-2007 8:13 AM In reply to

Agree with Soundproof. Actually I think B&O offers something a bit special to the middle classes. By its very nature it cannot be that exclusive or the price would be astronomical and would no longer attract those it is aimed at. It has the design flare that promises a lot and the performance to make sure it is not regarded as a joke.

However it needs to maintain the performance element or it will become what it has been regarded as in the past - something basic in fancy clothes. I will be the first to admit that a number of the products can be outperformed sonically by products costing less. However B&O offers a good sound quality and ease of use unrivalled by its competitors. However advances in software threatens to reduce this gap. The cleverness of products like the iPod Touch makes selling devices like the BS6 very difficult. No real wow factor there and sound quality is limited by the formats available.

I too love B&O, and I like the products that show real ingenuity and flair. The Beolab 5000 system, the Beogram 4000, the Beocenter 2 - all have a unique style and function that makes them stand out. But I like other brands as well and Apple certainly is one of them.

• 12-02-2007 8:37 AM In reply to

Providing you enjoy it Peter then that's the main thing. I used to like lots of other brands until I found B&O and then I found what I was looking for. Sometimes its difficult to put it into words, its like falling in love, it was just a feeling. Lets be grateful that there are a number of different brands available in the first place, that way someone will always be satisfied with at least one of them.

Simon.

• 12-02-2007 10:00 AM In reply to

The Beonic Man:

They don't say, "Oh, another iPod/iPhone" they say, "WOW! That is so cool Simon, I have never seen anything like it in my life! What is it? Play something!" 

That is what I want, that is what I have, that is why I love B&O, that is why I buy only B&O. It has always been about styling for me and nobody does it better than B&O. But that is just my reasoning for my love and loyalty to this brand. Everyone is different and if they get as much pleasure or more from alternative brands then that it is great and as it should be. I have made my choices for myself.

Simon.

All very valid reasons, and also expressive of B&O's challenge as a supplier of such unique experiences! 

• 12-03-2007 2:42 AM In reply to

clifft:
    Having read all the posts on this forum regarding the Serenata, including the very good reviews from people who have actually touched and used it, I must admit I am still unsure whether to buy one.  I am going to be in London in 2 weeks time and had hoped to at least be able to check one out but no-one here is saying that that they will arrive in time so that is a disappointment. When are they likely to go on sale in the UK? They are not due out in Australia until at least May (read September !).  I have to decide whether to stick with my Serene (nothing wrong with that) and update my iPod or get an iPhone and just leave my old iPod in the car.  I suppose for me, the "killer application" for the Serenata must be compatability with iTunes on my Mac.  It must be capable of downloading my CDs from iTunes into itself without glitches, hassles or the need to load suspect third party software.  In other words, it must work as smoothly as my iPod or, for that money, it is a non-starter. I also felt, from reading the reviews, that texting and even dialling can be a bit fiddly and takes some getting used to.  I need to see one and play with it and then, probably, the B & O effect will take hold and I'll end up buying one!!  Cliff

Hi Cliff,

If you are in London any time soon, pass by the Knightsbridge or Selfridges store as they both have Serenata's on display and for demo. I played with one myself this weekend and quite liked the feel of the Serenata. It didn't turn out to be as big as I had expected. The general function of the phone was easy with the aluminium wheel, central button and the touch screen, but texting and dialing numbers just took me ages. Saying that, the Serene was tricky for me at the beginning, but now I can text without looking at the buttons anymore.

The sound really is incredible, especially in a small room. I just wonder what the battery life will be like.

• 12-03-2007 4:30 AM In reply to

• clifft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Ballarat Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

Henry,Indeed I went to Selfridges last saturday.  I was caught up in the Oxford St Festival.  I've never seen so many people and had to fight my way into the store!  Anyway I saw and handled the Serenata and loved it!  It was larger than I thought but felt lighter than I imagined.  I didn't get much time to play with the texting but dialling seemed ok.  The salesguy said it became easier as you got used to it (he would, wouldn't he!).  So, very tempted indeed once it reaches Australia but only if it works flawlessly with iTunes.  I will therefore be waiting eagerly for one of you guys to buy one (that won't be long, I imagine!) and give out your experiences.  Surely one who buys it will have a Mac and can say how well it works.  Cliff

• 12-03-2007 2:36 PM In reply to

• Flip
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-16-2007
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

They are on sale in London.  I collected mine on November 23rd.  Unfortunately, its my Xmas present so after checking it worked I had to give it back to Mrs Santa.
Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2