in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-03-2007 2:36 PM by Flip. 43 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (44 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-07-2007 1:48 PM

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

iPhone or Serenata

Is there anyone out there who knows to what extent the Serenata is compatible with Mac OS X Leopard. More specifically: will Serenata work with iCal and Mail 3.0. Apple has rewritten these applications substantially. Notes and ToDos are now part och the Mail-experience and Notes can like before also be created in iCal. The synchronization between Mail 3.0 and iCal in my opinion a great thing and of course the iPhone will talk very nicely with both of these applications.

But what about the Serenata? Can we expect full compatibility? Will notes, calendar events, ToDo's and adresses sync? And what about emails?

Please, if someone know this, give me some info. I am about to buy an iPhone but the look and feel of the Serenata is so much better.

/Munin 

• 11-07-2007 1:53 PM In reply to

Re: iPhone or Serenata

the iphone is infinitely superior , the senata is a toy in comparison

popgear is grate™

• 11-07-2007 1:56 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Here we go!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-07-2007 2:12 PM In reply to

Haha, I have patiently been waiting for this topic to surface on the forums!

Although I have not yet used a Serenata, I don't think these cell phones can really be compared in the same league. The iPhone is stepping over the barrier of just being a cell phone and perhaps into something of a more pocket-size, touch sensitive, talking computer. Instead the Serenata is simply an ordinary phone which has a pimped out bass box underneath it and some nice MP3 player features - this is probably the single most comparable thing these phones could probably have in my opinion.

I cannot see how I could use a Serenata as my business phone. As already mentioned above, the Serenata is a bit of a toy really.

• 11-07-2007 2:19 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

While I'll buy neither I think that is somewhat unfair. I see the Serenata (and I believe it is pitched as) a high quality mobile music player first and a phone second (whilst obviously being a fashion accessory of the highest order - something the iphone cannot match - it will be the fashion acessory of the the masses). Neither appeal to me as I'm, as my wife will tell you, definitely not a follower of fashion - although I do like the Kinks.Big Smile

• 11-07-2007 2:21 PM In reply to

The Serenata is a lovely device and sounds better than any other MP3 player I have heard. It also has the very clever but ultimately not very useful speaker function. It has the benefit of a phone being fitted and is wonderfully tactile.

The iPhone is stunning and the software involved is incredible.

I'd have the iPhone! Embarrassed

• 11-07-2007 2:26 PM In reply to

iphone is amazing (I used it for several times) -- also the ipod touch is incredible (I am using it with the iphone application)

Serenata is beautiful and sounds great but it's not comparable.

In my idea: serene+iphone (daily life and work)

try internet surfing with iphone/ipod touch and never come back! 

• 11-07-2007 2:27 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Peter:

The Serenata is a lovely device and sounds better than any other MP3 player I have heard. It also has the very clever but ultimately not very useful speaker function. It has the benefit of a phone being fitted and is wonderfully tactile.

The iPhone is stunning and the software involved is incredible.

I'd have the iPhone! Embarrassed

Oh Peter - I'm disappointedErm

• 11-07-2007 2:30 PM In reply to

I'll qualify the last statement then - ...but I will be keeping my Nokia 3210! Laughing
  • 11-07-2007 2:46 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

If I get one for free I would choose Serenata. It looks good and have all I need from a cell phone.

If I have to pay I would choose iPhone. Much cheaper and I loved it when I tested it. The money I save would go to buy other B&O.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 11-07-2007 3:08 PM In reply to

Forget about both these phones and buy the xda orbit. Its the best phone ever.

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 11-07-2007 3:11 PM In reply to

these items are incomparable imho. two completely different things : if you want a goodlooking phone and good sounding music as well buy the serenata, if looks are not important as well as sound buy the portable mini compu instead; so I guess the serenata is more a private personal machine and the apple more of a business thingy

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 11-07-2007 3:13 PM In reply to

ArgyleMoss:
    Forget about both these phones and buy the xda orbit. Its the best phone ever.

An O2 phone?!

• 11-07-2007 3:30 PM In reply to

Puncher:
    Here we go!

I not even going to go there!!

:)
    "We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 11-07-2007 3:35 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

The Beonic Man:
    Puncher:
    Here we go!

LaughingLaughing

• 11-07-2007 3:36 PM In reply to

Munin:

Is there anyone out there who knows to what extent the Serenata is compatible with Mac OS X Leopard. More specifically: will Serenata work with iCal and Mail 3.0. Apple has rewritten these applications substantially. Notes and ToDos are now part och the Mail-experience and Notes can like before also be created in iCal. The synchronization between Mail 3.0 and iCal in my opinion a great thing and of course the iPhone will talk very nicely with both of these applications.

But what about the Serenata? Can we expect full compatibility? Will notes, calendar events, ToDo's and adresses sync? And what about emails?

Please, if someone know this, give me some info. I am about to buy an iPhone but the look and feel of the Serenata is so much better.

/Munin 

I guess this thread was inevitable but really it is impossible to compare the Serenata and the iPhone.  I have had an iPhone for 3 months and absolutely love it.  It is easy to use and seamlessly syncs with iTunes.  I especially like the iCal function.  Safari is a somewhat slow but I really like it for looking up phone numbers and addresses.  A few days ago, I was late getting to a restaurant.  I used Safari to find the homepage of the restaurant and touched the highlighted phone number which rang the restaurant.  Most of the time the iPhone recognizes phone numbers but not always.  I very rarely have to use the keypad because all I have to do is touch the phone number usually in the contacts.  It is also a great ipod and the iPhone is the best alarm clock I have ever had.  I suppose it sounds crazy to use it as an alarm clock on a daily basis but it really works well.  The iPhone is just really more useful.

As for design, I think the iPhone is incredible but that is a matter of opinion or taste.  I purchased a terrific case for my iPhone from Vaja cases which looks great.

My Serene phone is back in the box while I am trying to figure out what to do with it.  I really like the design and considered the phone as something really special.  However I have not used it since I bought the iPhone.

Each of these phone have their merits.  I like the design of the Serenata and like the idea of a music phone.  I hope B&O will produce a landline phone like the Serenata. 

Bill 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 11-07-2007 4:04 PM In reply to

Puncher:
    The Beonic Man:
    Puncher:
    Here we go!

LaughingLaughing

I am just going to sit here, quietly, with my superior operating system, watching all the posts with interest!
    "We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 11-07-2007 5:18 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I think these cell phones can be compared, as both pretend to be a browser, a phone and an mp3 player. Considering this, I think the iPhone is far superior to the Serenata. No doubt IMO. 

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 11-07-2007 5:19 PM In reply to

Are you using Safari or Firefox?
  • 11-07-2007 8:27 PM In reply to

The iPhone has to be better than a B&O mobile. I am having huge problems with the Serene and B&O have been  useless in fixing the problem many, many months after the problems surfaced. The Serene is full of bugs (at least mine is) and I suspect the Serenata may have similar problems.There is no doubt in my mind - go for the iphone - I will be dumping the Serene as soon as the iPhone is available in Australia. 

Patrick

• 11-09-2007 6:18 AM In reply to

You should visit your dealer and politely request that a new telephone be supplied to you.  If the salesperson can't or won't accommodate you, then speak with the Sales Manager.  If he can't or won't assist, see the manager/owner of the store.  If all else fails, contact B&O's regional office:
    Australia
    Mogras (Australia) PTY Ltd,
    164 Williams Road
    3181 Prahran
    T: +61 39 835 7700
    F: +61 39 813 3705

Finally, if the problem is still not resolved, contact B&O in Struer, even calling the Chairman's office.  Run it up the ladder.  Always try to encourage the person with whom you are dealing to resolve the problem, rather than threating, not to say that you would do that.

Bang & Olufsen must resolve the problem with your telephone, especially at the price they charge for the telephone.

I have a Serene, but I must say that I haven't had any problems with it, so B&O should make sure you don't have any with yours.  Generally, I have found that a B&O dealer will try it's best to resolve an issue.  After all, why would they want a dissatisfied customer? Usually, it's just complacency, but that is when you must be the motivator.  They know, or should know, how expensive it is in terms of advertising, marketing, sales, placement, etc. to win a  new customer, when it is so much more cost effective to try and retain an existing customer, you!  Use these points in your interaction with B&O at each level.

Note:  It may take a little doing to resolve your problem, but I am pretty sure it can be done.

Good luck!

• 11-18-2007 10:49 PM In reply to

waltoninn:
    You should visit your dealer and politely request that a new telephone be supplied to you.  If the salesperson can't or won't accommodate you, then speak with the Sales Manager.  If he can't or won't assist, see the manager/owner of the store.  If all else fails, contact B&O's regional office:AustraliaMogras (Australia) PTY Ltd,164 Williams Road3181 PrahranT: +61 39 835 7700F: +61 39 813 3705Finally, if the problem is still not resolved, contact B&O in Struer, even calling the Chairman's office.  Run it up the ladder.  Always try to encourage the person with whom you are dealing to resolve the problem, rather than threating, not to say that you would do that.Bang & Olufsen must resolve the problem with your telephone, especially at the price they charge for the telephone.I have a Serene, but I must say that I haven't had any problems with it, so B&O should make sure you don't have any with yours.  Generally, I have found that a B&O dealer will try it's best to resolve an issue.  After all, why would they want a dissatisfied customer? Usually, it's just complacency, but that is when you must be the motivator.  They know, or should know, how expensive it is in terms of advertising, marketing, sales, placement, etc. to win a  new customer, when it is so much more cost effective to try and retain an existing customer, you!  Use these points in your interaction with B&O at each level.Note:  It may take a little doing to resolve your problem, but I am pretty sure it can be done. Good luck!
    I have complained to my store and to the next level up (Regional Representative?) about the probleem. I have sent copies of my email to Streuer who did not even bother to reply until I made the point locally. There has been no follow up since all this happened about 2 months ago. I do not think it is the phone as we have two Serenes and they both misbehave. the phone books on both serenes and the BC6000 have been corrupted to the point that they are all useless. Not only am I about to dispense with the two Serenes but I have begun using the Telstra phone to replace the BC6000 as at least it is reliable for basic functions. To think $4,500AU spent on three phones (2Serenes and BC6000) and none work to any degree of satisfaction.

Patrick

• 11-19-2007 3:42 AM In reply to

The advantage of the serenata, is that it has ICE speaker and that you can use it as a music player, without earphones, if you are in your office or in a holel room.

If you are not going to use this feature... buy an iPhone. And by the way you can also listen to music loud on an iPhone... but sound is not good enough, the speakers is only good for voice - podcasts are fine.

p. 

• 11-19-2007 5:40 AM In reply to

wtlc2zpx:

The advantage of the serenata, is that it has ICE speaker and that you can use it as a music player, without earphones, if you are in your office or in a holel room.

If you are not going to use this feature... buy an iPhone. And by the way you can also listen to music loud on an iPhone... but sound is not good enough, the speakers is only good for voice - podcasts are fine.

p. 

To be fair, having heard the Serenata  I would get some form of dock that allows more bass reproduction and get an iPod. I would also want a radio function. The built in speaker is very clever and it sounds much better than one would expect, but it is not Hi-Fi. Using the earphones is far far superior.

• 11-19-2007 6:23 AM In reply to

• clifft
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Ballarat Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Founder

Having read all the posts on this forum regarding the Serenata, including the very good reviews from people who have actually touched and used it, I must admit I am still unsure whether to buy one.  I am going to be in London in 2 weeks time and had hoped to at least be able to check one out but no-one here is saying that that they will arrive in time so that is a disappointment. When are they likely to go on sale in the UK? They are not due out in Australia until at least May (read September !).  I have to decide whether to stick with my Serene (nothing wrong with that) and update my iPod or get an iPhone and just leave my old iPod in the car.  I suppose for me, the "killer application" for the Serenata must be compatability with iTunes on my Mac.  It must be capable of downloading my CDs from iTunes into itself without glitches, hassles or the need to load suspect third party software.  In other words, it must work as smoothly as my iPod or, for that money, it is a non-starter. I also felt, from reading the reviews, that texting and even dialling can be a bit fiddly and takes some getting used to.  I need to see one and play with it and then, probably, the B & O effect will take hold and I'll end up buying one!!  Cliff
Page 1 of 2 (44 items) 1 2 Next >