in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-03-2007 10:51 AM by Flappo The Grate. 59 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-28-2007 4:23 PM In reply to

Re: Beolab 6000 or 8000 - your opinion.

No room (or spare £10,000!) for Beolab 5s ! I want column speakers rather than wall mounted ones but will probably stick to just fronts initially.
  • 10-28-2007 4:56 PM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

To me, the BL6000 will always be a rear speaker. You may hook it up with the BL2, but there is still very little mid-range available. The 8000 is the smallest of the column speakers that will fit my job description - and they work quite well with the BL2. The BL6000 is also beaten by the less expensive BL4000, but the WAF-factor is lower (even on the floor stand, which will close the price gap). The BL6000 could be okay for a link room, but again, the BL4000 is a more musical choice.

The fact that the minimalist elite, reading their glossy interior magazines, often use them as main speakers have done nothing but harm to the audio quality image of B&O.

Roger 

• 10-28-2007 5:35 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I voted 8000s but am probably a bit biased.
    I have Pentas at the front and 8000s at the rear, from my Avant.
    Many would say that 8000s as rears is a bit of an overkill but often I listen to the sound from my 7000 system in speaker 4 mode. I actually like the double stereo sound for CDs and Classic FM! Plenty of good bass from ther Pentas and I feel that both sets of speakers are design icons. Even if the 8000 sound was as lacking as the 6000s, I would still get 8000s. Gorgeous!!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-28-2007 5:52 PM In reply to

Like many others I would immediately pick out the 8000s because they are indeed classic B&O and make such a statement with functionality and performance to match. For this reason I have voted for them in your poll. However, if you had included the 4000s then I would have chosen those first and the 8000s second. This is because you will be using them in a study, which is not the main living area of your house. The 8000s are a bold statement for a study and overkill, more suited and primarily designed for a main living area setup. In a study I would use 4000s wall mounted without hesitation. Since your preference is column speakers only then I think it is clear already that you will buy the 8000s. The votes, the comments and your own heart and instincts all point to that. I think you just needed that extra push and confirmation about your own thoughts. Go for it Peter and enjoy. I used the 8000s for many years with a BeoSound 2300 and to say they were incredible is an understatement. A pure, classic, unrivalled choice.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 10-28-2007 6:07 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Peter:
    No room (or spare £10,000!) for Beolab 5s ! I want column speakers rather than wall mounted ones but will probably stick to just fronts initially.
    if you plan to get rear speaker anyway, I think you can take any of the two right now and get the other one later to complete the system. As a collector, I guess that you will possess them both in the future, so you still can put them together in one setup. 

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 10-28-2007 7:52 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I too chose the 8000's as i think they are pretty much the best all round speaker in the range if you consider pricing.  They also have a small 'footprint' so can fit into pretty much any space.

I do like the 6000's though - but i agree the styling is less unique.  Would anyone buy the 6000's if they were updated in any way?  Would anyone change the design of the 8000's to bring them more up to date?  

Is it time to discontinue, or do we think these speakers are akin to the Porsche 911 - a true classic that should keep going forever?

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 10-28-2007 8:40 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

9 LEE:

Is it time to discontinue, or do we think these speakers are akin to the Porsche 911 - a true classic that should keep going forever?

Lee

I think this question is easyly answerable: as the BL8000 (and the BL6000 too) keep selling very well, they won't be discontinued and therefor is already a (design-) classic.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 10-28-2007 10:23 PM In reply to

A classic never dies. Lee mentions the Porsche 911 which is a car I have always loved, even more so when I got to drive a Carera 4 for 6 months some time back. This is a car with more than 40 years of refined engineering. Many classic B&O products will always remain timeless for much the same reason; years of dedication striving for perfection in form and function. The 8000s have made their mark and are without doubt a top of the line speaker. They stand proud. My own love affair with B&O has always been about the styling of their products. For this reason, my choice will always be the speaker that best compliments its surroundings.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 10-29-2007 3:39 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

From a technical point of view, I think it could be interesting to know about eventual technical troubles prior to an eventual purchase.
    I never serviced a pair yet and never owned any of them but
    I wonder if anyone ever encountered electronic faults or the
    likes with either the 6000 or 8000 or are they just technically rock solid ?

Martin

• 10-29-2007 11:36 AM In reply to

Dillen:

From a technical point of view, I think it could be interesting to know about eventual technical troubles prior to an eventual purchase.
    I never serviced a pair yet and never owned any of them but
    I wonder if anyone ever encountered electronic faults or the
    likes with either the 6000 or 8000 or are they just technically rock solid ?

Martin

Of the couple of dozen or more pairs of 6000's and 8000's I have had over the last couple of years, I have only had one with an electronic fault. A mains relay!

However, a surprising number have had blown tweeters and even more surprising, the sellers have been blissfully unaware! Even to the point of demonstrating what they believe to be the exceptional sound quality of the speakers???

The sound quality of 6000's and 8000's is not exceptional at the best of times, even less so when one or both tweeters are blown!

As design statements, they are both wonderful, especially the 8000's, which are a favourite of mine. From a sonic point of view, they are both decidedly mediocre and easily eclipsed by B&O's older designs.

Why is it that we are expected to part with at least £5k to improve on 25 year old designs? I have a pair of S80's running via an MCL2P which sound much more realistic than the so called improved models where most of the sound comes from the tweeter and the mid/bass drivers must only be there to block up a hole in the cabinet!Devil

Regards Graham

• 10-29-2007 12:31 PM In reply to

Fair point! I do have some S120s which are spare - maybe I'll see what they sound like! I'll have to find an amplifier!!
  • 10-29-2007 1:21 PM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

I agree with you, Peter: the 8000 are the most beautiful speakers ever made. They make so much of a statement, without being intrusive. A true masterpiece (in silver/charcoal, of course) and one of the main reasons why I remain a loyal customer.

I do really hope they won't be discontinued. I bought my first pair just when they were released and now it is such a comfortable feeling to know I still can buy some new, just in case. Of course, in large rooms they may lack some bass and they don't have the acoustic lens. However, I would not want to depart from mine. When (if?) they will be convincingly upgraded (e.g. ICEpower amps enabling to enlarge the cabinet volume and improve the bass), I will replace mine and will definitely keep using 8000s for many, many years.

By the way, do you know whether they will be upgraded?

Cheers, js

• 10-29-2007 1:26 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

I think im almost alone in voting neither product!

From a looks perspective there is no doubt the 8000 wins, there are so many facsimile 6000 now that this type of design is no longer unique.

The problem is that B&O for the prices it charges has to be taken more seriously as an audio /video company; the 8000 amplification module is base at best- matched to rather poor small paper drivers and B&O have to start making serious products now- and indeed they are doing so-but speakers the size of the ones in my clock radio just are not going to 'do it' anymore for B&O and it is these 'iconic' products that are doing more harm than good now when purchasers look at what quality can be acquired for the kind of money asked for a pair of 6000!!

Obviously, the 8000 still sell; it looks good- at least try and update it with decent speakers and amplification- such an 'upgrade'may not yeild such huge benefits given the limited audio characteristics of an aluminium tube- but they should try. The  B&O policy of charging ever increasing prices for a 18 year old design- poorly technically executed, even at inception- will no longer work

Serious hifi buffs dismiss B&O as being 'all show and no go' and yet as B&O lovers we know this not to be true, the BS3, BL9/5 ect are up there with the best of it, but when one hears individuals eulogise about the 6000 for example one begins to wonder if the doubters are not right!

• 10-29-2007 8:19 PM In reply to

355f:

I think im almost alone in voting neither product!

From a looks perspective there is no doubt the 8000 wins, there are so many facsimile 6000 now that this type of design is no longer unique.

The problem is that B&O for the prices it charges has to be taken more seriously as an audio /video company; the 8000 amplification module is base at best- matched to rather poor small paper drivers and B&O have to start making serious products now- and indeed they are doing so-but speakers the size of the ones in my clock radio just are not going to 'do it' anymore for B&O and it is these 'iconic' products that are doing more harm than good now when purchasers look at what quality can be acquired for the kind of money asked for a pair of 6000!!

Obviously, the 8000 still sell; it looks good- at least try and update it with decent speakers and amplification- such an 'upgrade'may not yeild such huge benefits given the limited audio characteristics of an aluminium tube- but they should try. The  B&O policy of charging ever increasing prices for a 18 year old design- poorly technically executed, even at inception- will no longer work

Serious hifi buffs dismiss B&O as being 'all show and no go' and yet as B&O lovers we know this not to be true, the BS3, BL9/5 ect are up there with the best of it, but when one hears individuals eulogise about the 6000 for example one begins to wonder if the doubters are not right!

I think you make some excellent points here and I find myself agreeing with you. Its far too easy to get carried away with B&O and put them on a pedestal, I always do it. But in fact, to remain at the top you need to keep producing the goods. The 8000s, lovely as they are, probably are completly out of date, lets be honest. Keep them in the range for sure, but have a fair and honest asking price. If you can get them for a good price second-hand then go for it but I would never buy a pair brand new now. 6000s I don't like at all because of their performance. The BeoLab 3's are quite impressive but the 4000s are what I would recommend for this setup, again, second-hand if you can.

Simon. 

• 10-30-2007 6:14 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

A bit off topic: I remember that speakers which actually attracted my attention to B&O (early 90s) were neither BL6000 or BL8000. In fact it was their passive speakers, namely BeoVox CX100 together with my friends Beocenter 9300, I think it was – I was totally amazed what sound (clarity/power) these small speakers produced in his little student den. Next, though the era of tape was about over, I was totally stunned by another friend’s BeoCord – either 8000 or 8002 or 9000 can’t remember now : he copied some of his CDs on a tape and played it for me through his B&O speakers (BeoVox S?) and I had never heard a better tape recording! What was the last proverbial nail to the coffin of my ‘other-brands-thinking’ was when I heard the Pentas (of my CX100-friend’s brother at a party I was invited to). Though I was sold I was definitely not solvent when BL6000/8000 hit the market … better to stop with old memories.

They are both good speakers, but I agree with the more critical opinions voiced above.

• 10-30-2007 7:06 AM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

I have voted for neither - not because of age and there is no doubt about the style, but the performance can be matched with alternatives.  I prefer the sound of the older M and S (not the shop!) RL and C speakers driven by an MCL2P if necessary as already mentioned in a previous reply.  I have a pair of wall mounted P45s that provide a very clear sound and can be picked up used with an MCL2P for about £150! 

Having said that, at the end of the day all our ears, eyes and musical tastes differ!  One should try and listen to the options and decide on the solution for the particular individual(s) and the environment - eg, volume, curtains, carpet etc.

• 10-30-2007 2:26 PM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

I´ve voted for 8000 front and 6000 rear.

I bit out of topic: I understand some of the points expressed here but somewhat differ on the critical perception of the iconic 8000 and 6000s. I've owned BL6000 for 6 years, with my BS9000. Recently I decided that I needed an upgrade and went for  BL9s and BL3s as rears. My dealer took my old green BL6000 in 1,000€. On top of that I got a very decent discount in the new speakers. Which speaker could retain such a value after that much time? My surprise was that rwo months after, my dealer sold those old speakers in 1600 euro plus taxes!!!

My point: These speakers are an investment. Very few other gear can be sold at those prices after that much time. I will certainly sell my BL9's in the future, when I finally decide to buy the BL5s. And I'm sure I can and will recover most of the money I spent on those, and by then I'll have enjoyed them so much.

Gustavo

• 10-31-2007 8:11 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

But B&O could easily improve the sound of the 6000s by going that bit further. Seperate woofers and midrange drivers, ICEPower amps, more cones for bass reproduction (so the cones don't reach their maximum excursion so quickly).

Don't get me wrong, the BeoLab 6000 is a beautiful speaker and sounds fantastic considering what it is, but it could SO easily be much, much more.

The 8000 is a much more viable 'hi-end' loudspeaker (which it's price would suggest). However, it could again, be improved with a little better technology behind it. Why they don't swap the amps for ICE Power modules to increase internal cabinet volume and therefore tune them lower (producing deeper bass) and allowing them to fit seperate bass and midrange drivers, rather than one pair cones handling all the frequencies up to around 2.5 kHz.

Having said that, they are still very impressive considering their size and are fantastic in surround sound setups. BeoLab 3s kinda highlight the limitation of the technologies in the BL8000/6000 though...

Peter, did you consider BeoLab 4000s?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-31-2007 1:09 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

But B&O could easily improve the sound of the 6000s by going that bit further. Seperate woofers and midrange drivers, ICEPower amps, more cones for bass reproduction (so the cones don't reach their maximum excursion so quickly).

Don't get me wrong, the BeoLab 6000 is a beautiful speaker and sounds fantastic considering what it is, but it could SO easily be much, much more.

The 8000 is a much more viable 'hi-end' loudspeaker (which it's price would suggest). However, it could again, be improved with a little better technology behind it. Why they don't swap the amps for ICE Power modules to increase internal cabinet volume and therefore tune them lower (producing deeper bass) and allowing them to fit seperate bass and midrange drivers, rather than one pair cones handling all the frequencies up to around 2.5 kHz.

Having said that, they are still very impressive considering their size and are fantastic in surround sound setups. BeoLab 3s kinda highlight the limitation of the technologies in the BL8000/6000 though...

Peter, did you consider BeoLab 4000s?

Amen Alex! I think the same as you in this question about the 8000´s... I purchased my new 8000´s last week and i truly love them!

And yes they are High End speakers but could have a slight update i think....

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 10-31-2007 3:29 PM In reply to

I have also always thought that B&O could make the BL6000s sound better, but in doing so the BL6000s would of course begin to compete with the BL8000 and BL3 range.

Peter, have you considered BL3s?

• 10-31-2007 3:43 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I voted 8000's as front & 6000's as rears.

Both beautiful speakers but the 8000's are still the best looking speakers ever designed IMO. The 6000's have proven to be too easy to copy due to their simplistic & elegant design whereas the 8000's are unmistakable in any setting. Sound wise they are both very much ahead of anything of similar design by other mainstrean manufacturers which is where the real value lies IMO. I think as B&O owners we tend to get sucked into the trap of comparing these with other B&O speakers when in reality the best comparison is with other brands where both of these excel in terms of design/build quality/price (including resale value) & longevity. Very few manufacturers can compete on all 3 points I've mentioned.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-31-2007 3:46 PM In reply to

• JC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Yorkshire / UK
    • Posts 621
    • Founder

I have 8s and 6s. I have just bought a pair of all black 6000s. They look stunning, I agree the sound isn't exactly  stunning. Ah but how they look makes me smile every time I gaze at them.

We had some friends up from darn South at the weekend. How they waxed lyrical about the system and the speakers made me realise how lucky I am to be able to afford such luxuries. So much so one of them is off to B&O Marlow to look at the range with a view to purchase.

Happy Jonnie Smile

• 10-31-2007 6:33 PM In reply to

8000s all day long, they are too good a package to ignore and if the price is right are most certainly a long term speaker which will still suprise you from time to time.

6000s are stunning but once you have listened to the 8000s.. theres no return!

Design wise.. I would probably say the 6000s have the upper hand as they are simply beautiful to look at but then again so are the 8000s Cool

• 11-01-2007 2:19 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

The 6000's stand apart from the pack as rears when they are freestanding and the beautiful aluminium can be seen in all it's glory. I've nevr really had a listen to 8000's and am curious as to how they fair against 4000's which are almost half the price.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 11-01-2007 9:40 AM In reply to

Hi Peter,

No doubt you've listened to both extensively - there cannot be any doubt that the 8000's sound better, so lets put that aside!

With an AV9000, I would go for a classic look, which rules out red blue and, imho, grey.

Black looks good in both models, although the speakers blend into the background much more in black if you have a dark room.  This may or may not be desirable!

In silver/black I think they look great and catch the eye.  I hate the silver with silver fret BL6000's though - silver/black is much better.

I can't remember if the AV 9000 is taller than the BL6000's, if it isn't - then they are probably the best look for a study, not too obtrusive.

If you were looking for the best sound, and trying to get the best performance to cost ratio, I would say that BL6000 with a BL2 beats a pair of 8000's any day.

Also, unless it was for aesthetics, I would say there is never a need for 8000's as rears.  They don't do enough, unless you want a perfect SPEAKER 4 balance, which again isn't that necessary imho!

Having said that, BeoLab 3's on the floor stands do it for me but that wasn't part of the question! 

Cheers,

Martin

BV7-40MK4BR,7-32,6-22,6-23,6-26,BSnd5,9000,BLab9,3,4000,2,BCom2,6000,Btalk1200,LC2s,Lutron

Page 2 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >