in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-07-2012 1:32 AM by joeyboygolf. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-25-2007 1:38 AM

• MC3
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-25-2007
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

Beolaba 6000 repair

Newbie here--first post

I've got a pair of Beolab 6000s from about 1996. The rubber surrounds in all four midrange speakers are cracked/torn. I would like to repair them, but the surrounds that are sold on ebay do not fit these speakers. I have some skill at this and I want to repair them myself and not send them to a dealer for repairs. 

The local dealer I talked to was hostile to the idea of selling me spare parts. I understand that he has a business, but instead of making a profit selling me spare parts, he ends up making no profit at all from me. In any event, the cost of repairs would be about the same as what I could buy the same speakers for on ebay, so it is definitely not worth it.

I understand that this is a known problem with Beolab 6000 speakers, but I see almost nothing about how to repair them or replace parts on the Internet. Does anybody have any suggestions for repair options? Can I buy the midrange speakers a la carte? Other posts on this forum seem to suggest that it is possible to purchase replacement speaker parts for a fairly low cost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I miss listening to my speakers.

• 10-25-2007 3:52 AM In reply to

Re: Beolaba 6000 repair

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It would be worth PM'ing Martin (username Dillen) to see what he can do for you as he has a lot of expertise in this area. He is based in Denmark but is a great source of hard to find parts and does a mail order repairs service.

Alternatively you could send the drive units away for a rebuild to Recone labs:

http://www.richardallanaudio.com/reconelab.new/index.htm 

I have not used them personally but several forum members have and I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Simon 

• 10-25-2007 3:58 AM In reply to

Try another dealer for spares. I have just fitted four new woofers to a pair of 6000's at a cost of £120 or so. Easy job which requires a torx screwdriver only. Takes about an hour to replace all 4.

Part number is 8480232

Regards Graham

• 05-11-2009 5:12 PM In reply to

what dealer did you go to as my 6000 has a rattly woofer how much are they each and did you buy them from the dealer at that price

thanksSmile

• 04-17-2011 4:02 PM In reply to

I tried to take the unit (wofer) out, but after retrevieving all 4 screws it seems that they were stuck/glued to the base.  Could you please guide me on this as I have no previous knowledge on the subject and there are no dealers in my country.

Cheers

• 04-17-2011 5:47 PM In reply to

Jimmy1963:

I tried to take the unit (wofer) out, but after retrevieving all 4 screws it seems that they were stuck/glued to the base.  Could you please guide me on this as I have no previous knowledge on the subject and there are no dealers in my country.

Cheers

I have replied to your email, Jimmy

Regards Graham

• 04-18-2011 10:33 AM In reply to

joeyboygolf, please could you share your advice?

It would be much appreciated as i still need to repair my ones.

Also in your opinion, which is the better option?

Refoaming the beolab drivers or buying new drivers from b&o shop?

Many Thanks in advance

• 04-18-2011 11:23 AM In reply to

ronnie1995:

joeyboygolf, please could you share your advice?

It would be much appreciated as i still need to repair my ones.

Also in your opinion, which is the better option?

Refoaming the beolab drivers or buying new drivers from b&o shop?

Many Thanks in advance

The original driver surrounds are made from a very flimsy rubber/urethane material. Replacement foam surrounds are very much stiffer and your speakers will have little or no bass! I have examples of refoamed 6000 drivers which were in a pair of speakers bought by me when I was in gullible mode!!! They sounded rubbish.

In my opinion, ALL the drivers MUST be replaced.

I believe that B&O advises that the speakers should be dismantled from the bottom up. ie Remove the amplifiers/power supply first and then the woofers. I prefer to start from the top.

Here is the advice I gave to Jimmy, sent by email but not private.

You need to remove the front panels starting with the top one.
    First remove and disconnect the tweeter (2 screws)
    Then remove the top panel (6 screws) by levering gently from the top of the panel. The sealing under the panel will act as a glue so expect some resistance.
    Then remove the first woofer and disconnect it (4 screws) followed by the second woofer (4 screws).
    The captive screw thread “widgets” may slide out of alignment but you can slide them back on re-assembly.
    Reverse the procedure to rebuild.
    You will probably find that the new woofers have been calibrated by B&O as +0.5dB and instructions are given to adjust the outputfrom the amplifiers accordingly. The process involves an audio signal generator which I do have.
    However, in my opinion, adjustment is not neccessary and the small base boost evident on real listening is to be very much appreciated.
    This is my opinion only and there will probably be those that disagree. It's a free country!!

Regards Graham

• 04-18-2011 8:07 PM In reply to

Ok, thanks for your advice. I think that probably the new drivers from the B&O dealers is my best option as i want to get back the beautiful rich sound that they were producing before, and a lack of bass would be awful for me, as that is the key part of the music.

Its a shame about their pricing. Over £120 for the 4 woofers alone.  Will have to do a bit of saving up.

• 04-26-2011 11:08 AM In reply to

What about These ones?  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rubber-repair-kit-B-O-Beolab-6000-4-pcs-glue-/270710128724?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3f0794c054#ht_500wt_922 

Are these going to give good sound? as the listing states that they are rubber and not foam?

• 04-28-2011 7:57 AM In reply to

• root
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 163
    • Silver Member

installed that rubber surrounds from goodhifi on my beolab 6000 speakers and they do sound good if mounted correct. I see no reason to buy new woofers, but it's up to anybody to decide what to do with their speakers.

Marcel

• 09-26-2011 11:51 AM In reply to

Hi

Hoping to get a reply since this thread is old. I have a B&O system. I have severail pairs of speakers among these, two pairs of Beolab 6000 which have  developed the rattling sound characteristic of blown woofer/midrange drivers. I need to replace these. The B&O dealers inthe USA I have so far contacted do not sell the individual drivers. I am a DIY person and it should not be a big problem for me to replace the (really cheap and cheesy) drivers. How can I get these and how much would these cost me?  I need 4 or may be 8 ...

Lesly

• 01-06-2012 5:09 PM In reply to

Hi there, if you still need them:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-repair-kit-B-O-Beolab-6000-4-pcs-glue-/250930223926?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3a6c9b5b36#ht_583wt_986  

I have installed these on mine and they are great, make sure you dont use too much glue and that after you have fitted and glued the rings, that you play music through them to ensure that they are seated correctly in the proper position.

If you need any help, let me know.

• 01-06-2012 5:12 PM In reply to

this link would probably be more use to youSmile

http://www.ebay.com/sch/good_hifi/m.html?_nkw=6000&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313 

• 01-06-2012 6:45 PM In reply to

After having some of these woofers replaced there was more to it then just swapping faulty woofers.

depending what serial number the speakers are you will need certain caps and resistors changing. (some of these being surface mounted)

then they needed to be re jigged using an oscilliscope.

Plus the woofers werent badly priced at £70 for 2. which in comparison to the price of a new speaker isnt a lot.

• 01-06-2012 7:34 PM In reply to

Did you get the caps and that done at a b&o retailer?

How old are your speakers?

• 01-07-2012 1:32 AM In reply to

Kokane81:

After having some of these woofers replaced there was more to it then just swapping faulty woofers.

depending what serial number the speakers are you will need certain caps and resistors changing. (some of these being surface mounted)

then they needed to be re jigged using an oscilliscope.

Plus the woofers werent badly priced at £70 for 2. which in comparison to the price of a new speaker isnt a lot.

You are confusing the woofer (bass speaker) with the tweeter (treble/mid range).

Unless the situation has changed recently,there are no extra components to replace with new woofers and full instructions are provided by B&O.

There are some components to replace with new tweeters. These are used to improve the protection circuit so that, in theory, the new tweeter does not blow again.  Again, full instructions are given in the box.

Regards Graham

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)