in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-15-2011 9:38 AM by Bulgarien. 60 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-19-2010 12:05 PM In reply to

Re: Penta High End! A project

As "Made in Western Germany" hints, they must be pre-1991, and "4086" means probably week 40 in 1986.

Nokia used to own TV factories in Germany as well before concentrating on mobile phones, and this "SEL" speaker factory might have been something Nokia bought out at some time, and the name was changed. Anyway it was probably just an OEM product made to B&O's specs and it might have been manufactured by several sources.

-mika

• 07-19-2010 6:40 PM In reply to

As far as I know, the original OEM manufacturer used to be HEAS. My Penta's have unit's with exactly the same label on the back. It's identical in every aspect, except for the brand name, which is ITT in my case.

• 07-26-2010 5:27 PM In reply to

What I do know for sure is that if you order a new driver from B&O, you get a HEAS unit.

I'm currently in the proces of fitting a pair of high quality metal-dome tweeters in the Penta's, which is surprisingly easy. I'm now calculating the modifications I have to make to the cross-over. So far (no mods to the filter) the high's are much more detailed and brighter. Putting the Penta's in a very different playing field.. The tweeters I'm using are a pair of Visaton DSM25FFL's.

Keep you posted!

• 07-27-2010 4:04 AM In reply to

Wow, thanks for the info on the tweeters, I simply adjusted the treble level on my BeoCenter 9000 as the linear treble response was quite ...poor, especially compared to the bass response of the Pentas. I'm going to have a look at the specs of the tweeter you chose, being no technician, I haven't touched anything in the filters yet.

Keep renovating ...Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 07-27-2010 4:17 AM In reply to

I'd start with recapping the crossovers before thinking about the tweeters (or anything else for that matter). I didn't see / hear any need of further modifications after that.

-mika

• 08-08-2010 9:07 AM In reply to

Chasepoes, have you done any mod to the treble filter section after replacing the tweeter itself?

I soldered the mid & treble driver wires/connectors with silver, and as mentionned before, couldn't hear any difference. My technician friend replaced the bottom speaker cable connectors with gold platted connectors, and I could'nt hear any difference either..Big Smile

• 08-08-2010 7:00 PM In reply to

Chrisreunion:

Chasepoes, have you done any mod to the treble filter section after replacing the tweeter itself?

[...]

Yes I have. I've shorted a resisitor (I think it was R3, have to check that) It's the only resistor in the high-section that is placed in series with the tweeter. This brightens the overall sound of the Penta (Even with the original tweeter).

Have now placed a Visaton DSM25FFL tweeter in my Penta's and it sounds great. Mounting it is very easy. Just remove the frontplate from the Visaton unit and use the screws from the original tweeter to fasten the membrane...Put it in and voila!: A set of Penta's with a metaldome tweeter!

• 08-09-2010 9:43 AM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

Thanks. A modern tweeter will be my next shot :-)

http://www.impactaudio.co.uk/product.asp?ref=546

Visaton DSM25FFL

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 11-12-2011 4:12 AM In reply to

I'm digging out this thread to say that after one year with my PentaVox speakers, I decided to follow other members' advice & replaced all capacitors on midrange & bass-treble filters, with :

Mundorf electrolytics 68 uF/100 VDC (none was available in 400 V to match the original dimensions)

Audyn Cap MKP polyprop. 5,6 uF/400V

Jantzen Cross cap MKP 8,2 uF/400V

Jantzen Cross cap MKP 22 uF/400V

Jantzen Cross cap MKP 27 uF/400 V

Although they were all larger/bulkier than the originals, I managed to solder them all on the boards, and after the first 10 minutes, playing music with the new caps, the 3 of us in the room were in awe...That cost me EUR 75 for the caps, and was worth every cent!

The Pentas sound alive again, the treble level adjusted to +3 on my BeoCenter 2 went down to +2 (I didn't replace the original tweeter, but admit that if set to 0, the treble sounds like the original Penta of course, which means " a little bit behind" the rest of the range).

The "new" sound is really full, my speakers are 3.6 m apart from each other, and there is a real wall of sound, the bass is still impressive, but now the mids are lifelike, and treble are..treble!

The most impressive change was in the stage that is no longer "left/center/right", but much more "far left, left, mid-left,center,mid-right, right and far right" when you're playing good recordings & classical music. So I can only highly recommend this cap upgrade, especially on the Pentavoxes & Mk 1 BeoLabs of course.

Now that the mids have been refoamed, back connectors soldered with silver, all caps replaced, what's left to do technically speaking? Replace the treble unit? Or simply adjust the treble level on the BeoCenter/Sound like I'm doing now?

My next step for the final touch will be cosmetic: I need to replace the frets! They are 25 years old, after all!Cool

• 11-12-2011 6:24 AM In reply to

Well done and glad you like the results! Yes -  thumbs up It is sometimes hard to convince people that replacing 15+ years old crossover caps in complex speakers like the Pentas WILL make a difference audible to anybody, while tweaking things like interconnects is mostly just that, tweaking...

The treble level is obviously a very personal taste; I was happy with mine the way they were designed. Did you read the other thread where Die_Bogener described his mods? I think it was either shorting a resistor or altering a cap, but in any case you can make them brighter if you'd rather keep the Beocenter at +/-0 Smile

-mika

• 11-15-2011 9:38 AM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

Thank for your help and replay to my tread

Your description of the NEW SOUND i our Penta  is fantastic.  Specially the treble is a weak point in the Penta and Im  but glad to hear that new cap fixed that problem.

Page 3 of 3 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3