in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-20-2008 7:53 PM by StUrrock. 60 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-30-2007 4:24 PM In reply to

Re: DVDPEDIA

DVDPedia has been updated again...
  • 12-05-2007 10:05 AM In reply to

Yes, I'm linking to TS_Files, Quicktime files, files that I have converted from my EyeTV, etc. I have TV-series linked up -- DVDPedia itself doesn't contain a player, but will activate a file through the standard player that usually opens that file. You can set for full-frame playback and then you don't really care if it's QuickTime, DVD-Player, VLC or another program that's doing the actual playback.

What I'm most impressed by is the upscaling ability of the Mac mini from DVD to HD-Ready. (As I don't have a Full-HD panel, I don't know how that would look -- but 1360x768 looks stunning. 

• 12-05-2007 10:16 AM In reply to

Hi:

This is a kind of related question but not really. I do not really want to start a new one as it is not relevant to the forum as a whole. At present I want to create a budget but decent media centre in my flat. I have my PC attached to my Avant for watching movies and want to get a large HD rack for the storage of movies perhaps using the program you suggest to catologue them.

I do not know the specific name for this piece of equipment but I shall describe it:

It is basicly a cabinet for a number of IDE or SATA HDs in which you bolt internal HDs (in my case, ones from old machines that have no other purpose) and then hey-presto you have a cheap storage device. My friend has one made by a company called Icy Box but he bought it from the US when there - hence no import taxes. In the UK you can only buy cases wih single or two HD slots and I would like one with at least three or four. Does anyone know where I could get such a thing or is there a cheaper alternative - buying an old server off Ebay. I know very little ofservers and their storage medium so any help would be good.

Thanks

Graham

• 03-03-2008 7:19 PM In reply to

Does CDpedia work with Vista??? (Sorry about speak about windows here)

Could anyone explain his experiencie with CDpedia? How does work, features.... 

I have a big amount of CDs and I´m looking a good software to handle them phisicaly and digitaly.

Thanks in advance.

Rafa
  • 03-04-2008 5:31 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Graham1982:

Hi:

This is a kind of related question but not really. I do not really want to start a new one as it is not relevant to the forum as a whole. At present I want to create a budget but decent media centre in my flat. I have my PC attached to my Avant for watching movies and want to get a large HD rack for the storage of movies perhaps using the program you suggest to catologue them.

I do not know the specific name for this piece of equipment but I shall describe it:

It is basicly a cabinet for a number of IDE or SATA HDs in which you bolt internal HDs (in my case, ones from old machines that have no other purpose) and then hey-presto you have a cheap storage device. My friend has one made by a company called Icy Box but he bought it from the US when there - hence no import taxes. In the UK you can only buy cases wih single or two HD slots and I would like one with at least three or four. Does anyone know where I could get such a thing or is there a cheaper alternative - buying an old server off Ebay. I know very little ofservers and their storage medium so any help would be good.

Thanks

Graham

A RAID array... like Apple's Xsan?

A costly way of doing it, but it'll work. You'll need a server to go with it - which is where things start getting expensive.

Lacie are now producing 2TB external hard drives (with Firewire and USB). One of these + a MacMini or iMac + an Apple TV would be pretty cheap, and work brilliantly. The AppleTV is an absolutely brilliant Media Centre (and competes with anything else I've used, despite it's £199 price tag).

You can RAID array external hard drives together, producing many TB of storage. The iMac has a Firewire 800 port, allowing you to 'daisy chain' multiple Lacie Big Disk Extreme+ drives together to produce many many TB of storage (you could probably get up to 10 TB before things would start to slow down, although this would be pricey.

I store all my media on a 750 gb Firewire 400 drive, connected to a MacBook Pro and streamed to an Apple TV. Best media centre I've used...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-05-2008 12:08 AM In reply to

The NAS raid stuff is actualy not that expensive. An infrant NAS with two 500GB disks upgardeable to 4 is 900$. Buffalo is clearing out NAS with four 250gb drives for 500 or 600 ot something like that.

The infrant one offers a dynamic security level, if it recognises a harddisk failure it will move teh data to the dedicated spare.

Some of these including buffalo and infrant even support streaming services to itunes and friends.

More expensive then external drives but definitly interesting in my opinion.

Cheers

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-16-2008 6:11 PM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Re: DVDPEDIA help required on MacTheRipper

Hi. Am very excited about getting my MacMini tomorrow and using this fantastic DVDpedia on my BVIS7.

Used MacTheRipper(version2.6) in the past on my powerbook.Is it true that only version 3.0 will work on intel Macs?

It seems that getting hold of this new version requires jumping through hoops or are there any good alternatives?

• 03-16-2008 8:32 PM In reply to

I'm using version 2.6.6 with Leopard. No problems - it's from 2005.

• 03-16-2008 11:36 PM In reply to

The trouble with 2.6 is that it doesn't handle all DVDs. Some carry some sort of exxtra protection by adding so zalled "zero cells" which throw most ripping programs off.

I believe the current handbrake version can do 5.1 and if you set the quality high enough it might be a good alternative. And there is no jumping through hoops involved.

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-20-2008 4:47 AM In reply to

• Klas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Singapore
    • Posts 96
    • Founder

I have an iMac 24" that connects through n wireless to an airport n hub ~15m away.

The router connects through wire to my NAS - where i host all my VIDEO_TS files.

When i run the DVD player on the iMac i can't play the movies; sound jumps every 0.5sec and image rarely shows or gets updated....if i connect the iMac with ethernet to same router i'm not having any problems.....

Shouldn't n protocol be able to stream DVD quality?

I have mapped the NAS as a network drive - SMB - direct IP address - and this works well...

I can stream mpg files in reasonable response, quality but not pure DVD....

Is n protocol not fast enough? or is there something wrong with my wireless network set-up?  I run WPA2 security....and my iMac shows full signal strength to router

Klas 

Grant me the serenity to accept the B&O I can't afford

• 03-20-2008 7:53 PM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Thanks JK.

Have MTR 2.6.6 and the latest dvdpedia excellent so far.......... 

BVIS 7 40" with PUC controller wow!! Added Remote Buddy for functionality with Beo4 Double wow!!

Would love the Mac to perform automated tasks eg. rip a dvd automatically when a dvd inserted. Does anybody know any applescript experts?

Page 3 of 3 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3