in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-27-2008 7:43 PM by Peter Pan. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-05-2007 6:41 PM

• sharif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Can I use a Non B&O Sub with a Beosound3000 and Beolab6000's.

Hi Friends

I hope someone can tell me if this is possible and how.

I live in the UK and have just purchased the above system, but I would to have a little more bass at higher volume's.

Love to own a Beolab2 but cant afford one.

Is it possible to do this?

If so, how?....what do I need?... where can I buy?......and any recommendations?

....or shall i go rob a bank and buy a beolab2

Thanks in advance!!!!! 

FOR EVERYTHING ELSE......THERES B&O

• 10-05-2007 11:14 PM In reply to

• Joe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-03-2007
    • SoCal
    • Posts 74
    • Bronze Member

Re: Can I use a Non B&O Sub with a Beosound3000 and Beolab6000's.

You can use a non B&O sub with your current setup. You need a 0898117(Aux adaptor). I know we have this part in the states and it should be in the UK as well. Its like the 6270302(Stereo Adaptor) except it has 4 RCA leads(in & out) instead of two(in only). The other end of this cable, which is a DIN connector, will plug into the BS3000 PL socket. That means you need to split the PL going to the BL6000s. Your local dealer should also have this part available, forgot the part number. Hope this helps.

Joe 

Its not just a product, its a way of life...
  • 10-06-2007 3:44 AM In reply to

Keep your eyes open for a second life BeoLab 2, you should get one for somewhere between £1000 & £1200.  Trust me, it will be the best thing you buy and you will never regret it.
  • 10-06-2007 3:57 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

meandmyshadow:
    Keep your eyes open for a second life BeoLab 2, you should get one for somewhere between £1000 & £1200.  Trust me, it will be the best thing you buy and you will never regret it.

Bl2 is the easiest choise but in terms of music not the best. The secondlife prices are also much higher (around 2000,- euro's (1500pounds)), so I would suggest to look at a also good looking and better performing B&W pv1.

http://www.novomusica.com/fotoinst.php?id=77

also availeble in nice Piano Laque, White/Silver and Silver with a black front like this one

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 10-06-2007 7:06 AM In reply to

• sharif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the info.....I have spoken to B&W today...but no one seems to know what lead I would need to connect the Pv1 and where I can buy one from.

I have spoken to my  B&O dealer who is not at all interested in helping me purchase a Non B&O Product.( to be expected I suppose), but he may be able to help if I can obtain a part number.

Does any one no where I can buy the part I need and/or the part number? 

• 10-06-2007 7:16 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

I found this posts from peter pan...

Dear Peter,

If I want to use B&W PV1 active subwoofer connecting to B&O BeoSound 9000 (in your case the 3000) + Beolab 8000 (6000) without using additional amp, how's your suggetion about the cennection & calbles?

answer

Look on this. Buying adapter in a Bang & Olufsen store.

• 10-06-2007 7:33 AM In reply to

• sharif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Thanks again.....I see from the diagram, the lead connecting to the sub has no part number. Do I need to have this cable made up?

• 10-06-2007 8:21 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

You need to make that din to phono cable yourself, but with a bit of help from you B&W or B&O supplier it is a very easy job.

• 10-06-2007 8:46 AM In reply to

• sharif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

I take it the diagram is correct.....I dont want to blow something up!!!!

Is there anyone out there who has made such a lead and can confirm the configuration?

Also, will the PV1 switch on and off with the system as do the BL6000's or will I need to do this manually.

Sorry to ask so many stupid questions. I am new to this and don't want to get it wrong and damage my equipment. 

• 10-06-2007 2:50 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Hi,

I have exactly the same setup at home:

- Beosound 3000

- Beolab 6000

- non B&O active Sub

I have a DIN->RCA-cable-adapter from one of the Beolab 6000 to the active sub and it works! I bought the cable from my local dealer.

BUT: There will be no frequency filtering which means that the Beolabs still have to play the complete bass spectrum parallel to the subwoofer which can sound a little bit, ehm, unbalanced if you have good ears and a bad room ;)

And I have to switch on the sub manually, it has a Thomessen amplifier module but I cut off the mainpower manualy because I'm using the sub only when I want to hear a little bit louder :)

And because of the Beolab 2: It's just too small for the right punch ;)

B&O can NOT betray the laws of physics so more bass means a bigger subwoofer system which doesn't give up on the 1st real punch (I just love that).

So overall I'm very happy with this combination and if I have the money some time I think I'm gonna buy Beolab 8000 or the 5. But when I do this my girlfriend (or my future wife) should better be on a holiday trip :)

• 10-06-2007 3:38 PM In reply to

• archie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Paris
    • Posts 497
    • Bronze Member

hello

you can find easy this kind of cable on ebay and with the BW you can choose the frequency cross over to married with your BL6000

http://cgi.ebay.de/Fur-Bang-Olufsen-beolab-8000-powerlink-cabelsplitter_W0QQitemZ110175927585QQihZ001QQcategoryZ30888QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem 

DU BEAU, DU BON, DU BO.

• 10-06-2007 7:56 PM In reply to

• sharif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for all the info....but after much soul searching I decided to buy a Beolab2 this afternoon.

So glad I did........System now sounds awesome.

Thanks again guys 

• 10-07-2007 4:44 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

sharif:

Thanks for all the info....but after much soul searching I decided to buy a Beolab2 this afternoon.

Thanks again guys 

I can respect that, because it's very hard to put a non-B&O item into you B&O collection Smile. Last year I had to choose between the BV6 and a Pioneer Kuro and it was very very hard to choose, because all my other component are all B&O. In the end I choose for the Pioneer, because of the better and bigger image. After that non-B&O item it was easier to buy other non-B&O items (such as a hdd recorder), but sometimes I wished I had taken the B&O (integration with my other equipment and the pretty looks). 

Wish you much fun with your BL2

Rogér

• 10-07-2007 8:03 AM In reply to

Does the red connection here allow the PV1 to switch on an off automatically?
    Barry BV6-26,BC2300,Beolab8000,4000,3500,2000,DVD1
  • 10-07-2007 8:11 AM In reply to

Beobird:

Great diagram! Thanks! 

• 10-07-2007 8:28 AM In reply to

• sharif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

I have contacted loads of people yesterday trying to find a solution to this problem. I also looked at beotech website for the wiring diagrams but as I am no technician I found it hard to get my head around.

A lot of people on this forum say that B&O can supply the leads required but every dealer I have spoke to have all told me no! I contacted B&W and emailed them this diagram and the wiring diagram, but the answer the salesman gave was complete jargen. B&O can supply a din splitter but not the din to RCA lead which is the one you need.

Looking at the diagram and the wiring diagram form beotech, it looks like the wire is the right signal output so it would not turn the sub on and off. You need phantom power for that but its not shown on this diagram.

In the end, I gave up and bought BL2.  

If there is someone on here who has bought a Din to phone lead or has made lead should post there details on here and maybe make them to order as there is no one i contacted yesterday ( inc Maplins) who are prepared to make this lead. 

• 10-07-2007 8:37 AM In reply to

• sharif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

I see you can buy this cable from ebay and B&O itself, but what about the cable from the din to RCA? Where do you but this from?

• 10-07-2007 8:38 AM In reply to

• sharif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Beobird:
    sharif:

Thanks again guys 

I can respect that, because it's very hard to put a non-B&O item into you B&O collection Smile. Last year I had to choose between the BV6 and a Pioneer Kuro and it was very very hard to choose, because all my other component are all B&O. In the end I choose for the Pioneer, because of the better and bigger image. After that non-B&O item it was easier to buy other non-B&O items (such as a hdd recorder), but sometimes I wished I had taken the B&O (integration with my other equipment and the pretty looks). 

Wish you much fun with your BL2

Rogér

Thanks Chap!!! 

• 10-07-2007 9:00 AM In reply to

Possibly being stupid here, but looking at the diagram above, surely not doing anything with the feed from the red wire means that you will only get the left channel going through the sub. Pin 2 is ground and pin 3 left and pin 5 right.
  • 10-07-2007 9:27 AM In reply to

• sharif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Peter:
    Possibly being stupid here, but looking at the diagram above, surely not doing anything with the feed from the red wire means that you will only get the left channel going through the sub. Pin 2 is ground and pin 3 left and pin 5 right.

Why do think I bought a BL2!!! This diagram is so confusingConfused  I personally thought the same thing, but do you join the left and right feed together to get a stereo bass sound?

• 10-07-2007 10:09 AM In reply to

In my complete ignorance I thought that as the red wire didn't go anywhere it was there to confuse the B&O system that it was B&O that was present -- from what you are saying, Peter, this is a one side of the stereo only arrangement.

This is rather annoying to say the least. The 8000's have RCA compatibility and fire up on a signal (according to the manual) is this likely to happen with non B&O sub-woofers. A Non- B&O subwoofer should be the easiest to put in the system because of the abundance of active equipment.

In an RCA arrangement you would expect two pins and not one and the sub-woofers would have two sockets to take left and right. Do you think this was drawn this way to illustrate the wiring of one of the pins with the red and (another)ground going to the other pin?

Barry BV6-26,BC2300,Beolab8000,4000,3500,2000,DVD1
  • 10-07-2007 11:14 AM In reply to

• sharif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-05-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

BarryAndrew:

In my complete ignorance I thought that as the red wire didn't go anywhere it was there to confuse the B&O system that it was B&O that was present -- from what you are saying, Peter, this is a one side of the stereo only arrangement.

This is rather annoying to say the least. The 8000's have RCA compatibility and fire up on a signal (according to the manual) is this likely to happen with non B&O sub-woofers. A Non- B&O subwoofer should be the easiest to put in the system because of the abundance of active equipment.

In an RCA arrangement you would expect two pins and not one and the sub-woofers would have two sockets to take left and right. Do you think this was drawn this way to illustrate the wiring of one of the pins with the red and (another)ground going to the other pin?

If you look at the PV1 sub for example it only has the one input. A stereo input. This is now common on a lot of subwoofers. On this diagram it is only showing one channel input from what I can seen. The red wire is not there to fool anything as it is not connected to anything.

The other point is that a small amount of current is sent down one of the pins in the PL cable which tells the 8000's to turn on, not the signal. 

I have had enough of trying to get my head around this!!

• 10-07-2007 12:45 PM In reply to

Beobird:

Before anyone is attempting to make this PL - RCA cable, it is not going to work!!! The wiring on the PL-plug is mirrored.

The blue wire should go to pin 1.

Red wire to pin 4. 

• 02-27-2008 2:11 PM In reply to

DoubleU you hav wrong:

The blue wire should go to pin 1. Red wire to pin 4.

Thes is out from DIN 7 pol AUX, not from DIN 8 pol PowerLink

http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32157&PN=0&TPN=4

Peter Pan

• 02-27-2008 4:43 PM In reply to

It doesnt matter what plug you use, 7pin AUX or 8-pin PL.

Both will fit and work.

In this drawing pin4 (solder side) is your right signal, pin 1 is your left signal. Pin 3 (blue wire) is not used.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >