in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-13-2007 2:41 PM by burantek. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-19-2007 6:46 PM

• stevo4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Beocom 1 & Beocom 6000

I didn't realize these are almost the same phones?

As i understand it, the 6000 was the first generation and did not come with or need a base station to communicate with the other phones if you had them. The Beocom 1 looks the same but DOES need the base station to work at all - not just to communicate with other phones. (Meaning you can't plug the phone just into the wall and use.) I suspect this isn't the case and i have my info wrong, but when i saw the 1 today in the store, i was referring to it as a 6000 not realizing a Beocom 1 even existed.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

stevo

• 04-19-2007 6:53 PM In reply to

• stevo4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beocom 1 & Beocom 6000

Another question or two that the shop couldn't clarify:

What frequency does the Beocom 1, 6000 & 4 work on. The shop thought the 6000 was 900mghz, the 1  2.4mghz, and the 4 was thought to probably be 2.4mghz but he couldn't find any info to confirm in literature or the website.

Reason i ask is my current wireless home phone is a 2.4 and interferes with my wifi connection and i lose my online connection occasionally. Which brings me to the next question that is: Does any of the above phones have a 'channel change' button? My Panasonic phone has a button which will let me scroll through 1 of about 10 channels in case i have interference on one of the channels.  I'd like to either buy a phone that isn't 2.4 or at least can allow me to lock into a channel that won't cause internet interuptions.

stevo 

• 04-20-2007 2:16 AM In reply to

The BeoCom 6000 certainly works on the 2.4Ghz in the US

You certainly need a base for the 6000, you buy one base station and any number of 6000's up to six per base station. However when you buy just a 6000 phone you get a charger wall holder and in the early versions you could also have a desk charger which was actually a wall charger with the bracket reversed and laid flat on the desk. I am informed that the MK II BeoCom 6000 is not sold in the US, so you would not have seen the new style charger base.

So, if you decide to purchase a Beocom you need a base to connect to the PSTN

I have six Beocom 6000 around my house and a WiFi network which I use on channel 11, the default for most wireless routers is channel 6

In the US you have channels 1 to 11 and in Europe routers are allowed to use 1 to 13

Unlike television channels, some Wi-Fi channel numbers overlap with each other. Channel 1 uses the lowest frequency band and each subsequent channel increases the frequency slightly. Therefore, the further apart two channel numbers are, the less the degree of overlap and likelihood of interference. If encountering interference with a neighbour's WLAN or DECT phone ie Beocom 6000, change to a distant channel. Both channels 1 and 11 do not overlap with the default channel 6; use one of these three channels for best results.

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 04-20-2007 3:09 AM In reply to

• stevo4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

So, to recap as i understand it,  the phones do not have a way to change channels- i would just change the channel on my router and you believe all the phones work on 2.4mghz.

Re: the 6000 or Beocom 1, when i say Base station, i mean the black square box and not the part triangle shaped thing the phone sits in.  So, i couldn't buy a 6000 or Beocom 1 and just plug it into a phone line if i didn't want to set up a network (say, if i lived in a tiny apartment)?

Thanks, and sorry if i'm being a little dim.

stevo 

• 04-20-2007 3:34 AM In reply to

Stevo,

You are certainly not dim, these are just the sort of questions which I will provide Lee as part of FAQ for the Beocom in the near future.

So to your points:-

1) All the phones follow the DECT protocol meaning they run on the 2.4 GHz frequency, but there is no channels to change and this goes for almost all DECT phones. All the base stations have different codes when you register a handset, but that is just a side track.

2) If you do get interference which is fairly unlikely unless you place the two units next to each other, you can change the channel number on the router. You can change the channel number on all makes of router because that is part of teh international spec

I am trying to understand your statement about this "Black square box" Lets say you buy your first Beocom 6000, you get the trangle base, a small black power supply which plugs into the power socket, a "T" adapter which both the phone line and power plug into along with the cable from the base unit and your done.

You don't need a router or any kind of network to use any DECT phone. You just need a standard analogue phone line in you wall supplied by AT&T or whoever and everything you buy from B&O will work. If you also wish to setup a wireless network for your PC, then no problem, you purchase a wireless router with an ADSL modem in it, but you do NOT need a router of any type to use any DECT phone except if you decide to buy some of the new dual phones coming onto the market which allow the use of WiFi and normal phone line to make calls. B&O's are just PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) phones i.e. you standard analogue phone socket.

Regards

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 04-20-2007 10:22 AM In reply to

• stevo4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Thank you for clarifying all that. It made things very clear.

Sincerely,

Stevo

• 04-24-2007 1:38 PM In reply to

• stevo4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Does anyone know if there was a side by side comparison done with the Beocom 1 & 6000? I'm just trying to see what was changed/upgraded.

Steve 

• 04-24-2007 2:38 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

As far as I know, Stevo4, the main difference is the 6000 can have up to six handsets but the Beocom 1 can have eight. Don't ask me whyConfused

Niether is worth more than $2000.00 thoughWink

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-24-2007 2:47 PM In reply to

• stevo4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Thats very funny!

But is it the 6000 worth $276.? 

stevo 

• 04-24-2007 3:18 PM In reply to

Stevo,

If you purchase a Mark 2 version of the BeoCom 6000 for $276 you will be very pleased with it in my view.

If you also decide to purchase a second handset for somewhere else in your home you will be even more impressed, sharing phone directory etc.

I have 5 Mark 1 version and one Mark 2 version of teh BeoCom 6000 and they are excellent.

Regards

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 04-24-2007 3:27 PM In reply to

• stevo4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

What was the difference between mark 1 & 2?

• 04-24-2007 3:30 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

You asked for that one KeithWink

I'll leave you to answer it

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-24-2007 4:26 PM In reply to

Stevo,

Where shall I start, lets start by looking at each phone.

At the top on the Mark 1 you will see two black plastic spots, on the Mark 2 it is a socket for earphones.

Looking at the keypad of the Mark 1around the dial going clockwise from 10 o'clock you have "A" "C" handset symbol "V" black dot and on the Mark 2 in the same order you have "R" "C" handset symbol "A-V" "INT"

The two things which I find of real value with the Mark 2 over the Mark 1 is if you are on a call and a second caller tries to call and you have call waiting, but decide not to swap to that incoming call, when you hang up the first call it will display the caller ID details of the second call. Also making internal calls to another handset is much easier, on the Mark 2 you just press "INT" then turn the dial for the extension you want which is displayed in the screen.

A Beocom 6000 Mark 2 cannot be charged on a base, wall charger or table charger of a Mark 1, the lugs at the bottom of the phone are different to stop you doing it.

If you have a Mark 1 Beocom 6000 you cannot receive an external call during an internal call, but with the Mark 2 you can.

Also if you have a Mark 1 Baseline you cannot break into an existing call from another handset, it just comes up with the words busy.

Anyway these are the key differences, I hope it helps.

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 04-24-2007 4:53 PM In reply to

• joff135
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Somerset, UK
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

I just bought a new black pair of 6000s today with a Beoline...and the manual says that you can have up to eight phones in the system.
  • 04-24-2007 5:33 PM In reply to

The main difference between the Beocom 1 and 6000 is that the 1 has the facility to deal with two incoming lines. The manuals are on site.
  • 04-24-2007 6:01 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

joff135:
    I just bought a new black pair of 6000s today with a Beoline...and the manual says that you can have up to eight phones in the system.

Yes, that's just the new, small Beoline base that can take 8 handsets. The large black box and the pyramid charger/base station only take 6.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-24-2007 7:49 PM In reply to

• cozza
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 119
    • Bronze Member

Keith Saunders:

Also making internal calls to another handset is much easier, on the Mark 2 you just press "INT" then turn the dial for the extension you want which is displayed in the screen.

On the Mk1 you press the dot button, then turn the wheel. So they're the same in this respect. 

• 04-25-2007 2:04 AM In reply to

cozza:

Keith Saunders:

Also making internal calls to another handset is much easier, on the Mark 2 you just press "INT" then turn the dial for the extension you want which is displayed in the screen.

On the Mk1 you press the dot button, then turn the wheel. So they're the same in this respect. 

True, but what I was trying to say is on the Mark 1 there are written symbols printed above each number key and teh manual says if you wish to call internally you press the "Black dot" by the dial then the number key for the room you want, but this assumes you know which room is which number. With the Mark 2 there are no printed symbols or markings above the number keys. You press the "INT" key and turn the dial and it informs you of teh room. It is quite true you could also do it on the Mark 1, but most people did not know that for the aformentioned reason.

Keith

Regards Keith....

• 11-11-2007 9:21 AM In reply to

resurrecting this thread from way back...

and pls don't beat me w/ a wet noodle as i have read everything here and elsewhere including the pstn faq, but... i can't seem to get this thru my rather thick cranium.

so, my apologies in advance.

i have an unused 6000 mk1 w/ a charger (no base). i have been struggling to grab a "based" 6000 mk1 from ebay, etc... to the point where i am about to give up and just buy a beocom 1 new from b&o direct w/ a beoline 1 base. will my 6000 mk1 have an issue connecting up w/ this giving me a mix of 1's and 6000's on the beoline 1? -or should i go all beocom 1? or wait and try to get a "based" 6000 mk1? or??? (btw, i also have a beotalk 1100 that i would like to tie in -do i have to upgrade to a 1200?)

thx in advance,
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 11-11-2007 2:08 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hi Jeff, Your Beotalk 1100 has no bearing at all on your phones, it is a seperate entity.
    I don't think there is a problem mixing Beocom 1 and Beocom 6000, but I'm sure Keith will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Why don't you just get a second hand PSTN base? They crop up regularly on eBay here, not sure if it's the same in the states.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-11-2007 4:51 PM In reply to

thx for the reply...

i would certainly snap up a base, but would like to move fwd w/ several handsets and set up the complete network. otherwise i would just go with all beocom 4's -of which i already have one unit. (that may be the bigger issue -trying to consolidate to one "group" of phones, as i have the 4, a corded 1401, and the aforementioned 6000) i.e. -a bunch of "onesies."

i would like to get to the singular network, and i prefer the 6000 or 1's... or maybe even a 2. the 1401 and the 4 would become redundant and i'd likely offload them.

w/ regards to the 1100 vs. the 1200 - i have only ever read about the 1200 being compatible w/ the 6000 network (listening to messages on the handset). does the 1100 allow this?

thx again,
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 11-11-2007 5:57 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

Okay Im going to make this as clear as I can. 

BeoCom 6000 in the US: 
    -Up to 6 handsets 
    -Base station was intergrated in the silver pyramid. Also called as the master station (requires phone line and power). All aditional chargers for BeoCom 6000 were black bases with a silver ring/loop to hold them up (just require power).
    -One Line phone system. 
    -DOT button needed to use menu functions and page the other handsets. 
    -2.4 Ghz

BeoCom 1:
    -Up to 8 Handsets
    -Base station is separated from the chargers. Black BeoLine 1 is the base station (requires phone line and power). All the chargers are now in the aluminum pyriamid shape and only need power.  The advantage of the BeoLine is that you can also add BeoCom 2 handsets to the system.
    -Two phone line system
    -Menu is now accessed through the center button of the wheel and has a much more user friendly interface. More reliabale too. 
    -2.4Ghz

BeoCom 4:
    -Stand Alone phone. Not a system
    -Each phone requires phone line and power
    -1.9 Ghz
    -Alex
  • 11-11-2007 6:39 PM In reply to

all,

thx so much for the input so far. 

alex- you succinctly clarified the gray matter floating thru my head. i had come to the basic conclusions you enumerated. 

my issue was basically that if i gave up and bought the 1 and the beoline 1 -would the old mk1 6000 sync w/ the new beoline base. that i am still uncertain about (and the 1100 vs. 1200 issue)

in recent news... as i am a "retrobeo" guy i really don't want to go the new system route. as mentioned, i have been fighting my way to get another mk1 6000 w/ the master base... which is what i really want, and... which... 

drumroll... 

i finally accomplished about 1/2 hour ago -woohoo!

so 6000 mk1's here i come! i will prob keep the beocom 4 and use it somewhere, and sell the old 1401. now i just need to confirm that the 1100 will be ok (available on the network like the 1200 apparently is.)
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 11-11-2007 7:01 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Jeff.
    The Beotalk 1100 and Beotalk 1200 have nothing to do with your phone.
    You cannot hear messages on your 'phone from either of them.
    You could have a house with no phones and still use a Beotalk answer machine. You press the button on the answer machine to hear your messages from it's built in loudspeaker.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 11-11-2007 7:53 PM In reply to

hmmm...

i wonder how i made this mental link that you could chk your voxmail on the 1200 using a 6000 handset elsewhere in the house??? i swear i read that somewhere???

it sounds like i have been sweating this 1100/1200 issue for no reason.

well, i guess that is that, though it seems like that would be a nice feature -must have dreampt it...

thx to all for your assistance,
    • B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >