in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-29-2007 3:50 AM by BarryAndrew. 34 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-22-2007 1:12 PM In reply to

Re: Beolab2

Only time I would consider losing the lab2 would be if a pair of 5s or 9s came along.

The lab2 is a must have to complete the sound from any lab speaker imo.

• 09-27-2007 12:10 PM In reply to

• joff135
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Somerset, UK
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

Following my reply earlier to this thread...i have apparantly made a bit of a boo boo!

My dealer told me today that i can use Speaker 5 for Dolby Surround tv programs which he says that most tv is these days...i thought that i could only watch Dolby Surround on Speaker 3? My dealer said that in Dolby Surround the rear speakers will work in Mono and not Stereo...but they will work as rears and give a better sound than if i just have Speaker 3 turned on. 

Well...that means that i have not been using my rear speakers enough at-all...and i shall definitely be using Speaker 5 for tv films now and other programs too...although for certain tv such as The News and documentaries i think Speaker 1 is better.

• 09-27-2007 12:28 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Well then BarryAndrew, give the BL2 a go. Plug it in and alter the bass level settigs until you are happy with the sound. Then you can try connecting the BL2 directly to the CD player and have the BL8000's plugged into the BL2 (this is when the sound of the BL8000 will be filtered and changed) and have a listen to that sound as well.

I believe that you will achieve a nicely balanced sound with the BL8000's left unfiltered, with the bass simply turned down on them. See, i don't know how the DSS in the BeoVisions work - whether or not they filter the bass from the BL8000's when the BL2 is connected and registered or not... i don't know. All you can do is give it a go. Let us know how you go. Smile

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-27-2007 3:08 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

pedrompinto:
    Alex:

What!? BeoLab 5s or BeoLab 9s? I would have 5s any day over 9s unless I was really pushed for a more discreet design or cash.

I'd personally never add a BeoLab 2 to the 9s. All you're going to do is degrade the sound, the performance from the 9's 'subs' is better than that of the BeoLab 2 (although the 2 goes louder).

alex,

the bl5's seems to be huge in my living room... and i feel that i won't use them at 100%... do you know what i'm saying?

BeoLab 5s are never wasted. Don't forget they adapt to where they are placed, so you never get 'over-boomy' bass that would normally be characteristic of high-end speakers in a smaller space. You then end up with all the extra benefits the BeoLab 5s provide which no other speaker will give, even the BL9s don't show some of the really amazing sonic characteristics of the 5s.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 09-27-2007 10:44 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

You know what, i know what pedropinto is talking about, so i guess you've got to respect that his opinion is different to yours. They are double the price when it comes to the hard earned money. Everyone is different, and in most domestic setups, the BL9's would be more than sufficient. What if it's a small room? Thats ALOT of money for a speaker that may not be satisfactory aesthetically or if the user does not feel the need for that sonic perfection.

I read a post a long time ago that stated that the BL5's are only getting started where the BL9's would be out of breath, but in a smaller setup, who in the world is going to turn up their music that high?

• 09-28-2007 5:47 AM In reply to

You don't have to crack up the BL5's in order to experience them.

Even at moderate to low volume the BL5's are extremely detaild in their sound. Something that the BL9 or BL8000+BL2 combo cannot achieve..

Karel

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 09-28-2007 9:36 AM In reply to

I can add that my living room has 25sqm or so.; perhaps i need some more demos and if the dealer permits it, a live demo @ my place.

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 09-28-2007 11:49 AM In reply to

I risk the repetition of the point that I raised on another thread and of upsetting members which I truly do not mean to doSmile There is always something better in this game. If depth is required from a set of 8000's the suggestion that Beolab 5's would be better than 8000's and a subwoofer is not exactly helpful. I am sure that £10,000 will solve a lot of problems whether it be with B&O or anyone else. we all know that the BL5's are excellent but that doesn't necessarily enable me to buy them. It becomes a non argument but could eaily be improve by the suggestion that "if you could afford it then BL5's would be the real solution to your problem". Of course they would!!

I really like this site and those that contribute but we must have a sense of direction. For instance (given that the second hand price of a pair of Pentas from Lee are the same price as the sub woofer it could be add a pair of pentas to your 8000's and it will be great. From my conversation with Lee this morning he would prefer  the sub-woofer to the 8000's. The point that I am making is that both arguments are constrained within the same limit. You could raise the threshold a little so that some stretched to an ideal but not so much that it couldn't be achieved.

On a lighter note the F1000 arrived yesterday and although its only partly unpacked it truly is incredible. I am delighted!!

Please accept the point that I am not looking to upset.

Barry BV6-26,BC2300,Beolab8000,4000,3500,2000,DVD1
  • 09-28-2007 9:53 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I see what your saying, and Pentas would sound good wouldn't they! I've never heard them but i do know that they are not very pretty.

Have you considered a non B&O sub... in my opinion the BL2 is not the best value for money (sound wise) if your on a budget. It really depends on your taste. Everyone perceives sound differently. SO, I must repeat, GET A DEMO. Chances are, that you will not come to a satisfactory conclusion asking other people what speakers you should have.

• 09-29-2007 3:50 AM In reply to

Thanks David -- good point. However there is no harm in getting a bit of the background before you start doing the demos. If it hadn't been for this site I would not have known about the slight boominess when in music mode. Now I know about it I can listen for it and instead of rejecting the product can suggest that its turned down.

I can afford the BL2 its more a matter of whether it suits and as you say if it doesn't its time to go looking!

Thanks again 

Barry BV6-26,BC2300,Beolab8000,4000,3500,2000,DVD1
Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2