in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-24-2007 12:56 AM by soundproof. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-14-2007 4:13 PM

building home theater system

can anyone please comment on the following system I am considering for my home theater (USA).

this is a dedicated home theater (though small in size) 16 feet x 12 feet (12 feet in the TV direction).

TV - debating between a Panasonic TH50pz700U (consumer reports best buy) vs. Pioneer Elite 50 inch.  any comments please ?

sound system:

BeoLab 3 (2 front, 2 back)

BeoLab 2 - subwoofer

BeoLab 7-2 - central

BeoSystem 3 - receiver

putting my life savings into buying this system, so want to be 100% sure.

can someone pl advise if the above sound system is justified for a smaller theather room (16 feet x 12 feet) ???

is it possible to perhaps buy a different brand/make RECEIVER ? (other than bang and olufsen - this is obviously to cut down on the total price), something that is compatible with BeoLab3/Beolab2/Beolab7-2, or is it a stupid thing to do ?

thanks a lot in advance !

Filed under:
  • 09-14-2007 5:07 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Re: building home theater system

Before I start, let me say that your proposition is a lust-worthy one.

The only comment I have is that having BL3's in the back would be a waste of a rather wonderful speaker. 

I think you can save a bundle by putting a pair of BL4s on their pole stands as rear speakers. BL3's in the front are wonderful though. Everything else is great as well.

Have you considered talking with your B & O Dealer about whether a used Beosystem 1 would be a better choice to save money and for your needs... Though, if this is going to be a growing B & O Addiction, a Beosystem 3 does seem to take the cake.

That's my $0.02.

-Sal
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 09-14-2007 6:22 PM In reply to

There were some discussions that the BL 7.4 is better suited to go with acustic lense speakers, better speach clarity then with the BL7.2. But for the Plasma installation, this one seems to be difficult to install.

Did you consider the new Beovision 7? That seems to give the biggest bang for the buck, keep in mind that the BS3 officially doesnt suppport Pioneer and Panasonic screens so personally I would go all the way B&O rather then connecting non supported screens.

Lastly, I wouldn't waste the BL3 for the back, I think Bl4 or Bl4000 should do the trick unless you do it for design reasons.

Cheers
    JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 09-14-2007 10:05 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

I think you're on the right course here, except that I would go for the 7-4 as my center channel speaker.  In the space you describe, the 7-1 or 7-2 would muddy the front 'stage'.

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 09-15-2007 8:57 AM In reply to

I would reccomend:

TV: BV4-50 or 4-60 or BV7-40

Central Speaker: BL7.4 (Yes you can put it on the wall with any problems, it gives you a more detailed speech; useful if you see many movies)

Front Speakers: BL9 (perhaps you wouldn't need a BL2; i'd have to ear it for yourself)

Rear Speakers: BL3 or BL4000 

I would definitely recommend BeoSystem 3 just because it's the last version of the product and with it you can in the near future connect so many new devices, like iPod, Apple Tv, PSP3, etc.etc.

I know, the BL9 cost more than the BL3s, so if you cant's afford it just use 4xBL3s and a BL2 (subwoofer); personally i'd buy a pair of bl9 and in the future a pair of bl3 to act as rear speakers; it's all a matter of investment.

1st things first, so, decide which tv you'll buy (if you buy a BV7-40 you don't need beosystem 3 just right now, because you can connect the speakers to the tv)

I hope this would help you clarify the possibilities... or not.

Why don't you go to your local dealer and test the system; always see and hear before you buy.

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 09-16-2007 5:11 AM In reply to

pedrompinto:

1st things first, so, decide which tv you'll buy (if you buy a BV7-40 you don't need beosystem 3 just right now, because you can connect the speakers to the tv)

Note that you cannot combine BV7 and BS3. It is one or the other.

As you are in the US, the BV7 has a BS3 integrated, for those outside the US, it is worth waiting for the release of the MKIII.

A good combination as well, is BV7 + a Projector... this really is Cinema. 

I'd never spend all my money on this, but rather buy things one after the other. 

• 09-16-2007 5:56 AM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Having used both 7.2 and 7.4 in a similar size space I would recommened 7.4. I also use BL3's as rears in my setup and had BL3's as fronts before I upgraded. What you're looking at (BL3's front/back) is an awsome setup. As for the screen, the latest spec BV4-50" is fantastic, consider the integration with the control and that the light sensor will optimise the picture to the surroundings. This doesn't work with non B&O screens. If upfront cost is an issue start with BeoSystem3, screen, BL 7.4, BL3's front and then build gradually.

• 09-16-2007 12:29 PM In reply to

wtlc2zpx:
    pedrompinto:

Note that you cannot combine BV7 and BS3. It is one or the other.

As you are in the US, the BV7 has a BS3 integrated, for those outside the US, it is worth waiting for the release of the MKIII.

A good combination as well, is BV7 + a Projector... this really is Cinema. 

I'd never spend all my money on this, but rather buy things one after the other. 

BeoSystem 3 + BV4-50 or BV4-65

If the user buys BV7 MKIII (it has already BeoSystem 3) he doesn't need to buy another one.

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 09-24-2007 12:56 AM In reply to

solaris:

can anyone please comment on the following system I am considering for my home theater (USA).

this is a dedicated home theater (though small in size) 16 feet x 12 feet (12 feet in the TV direction).

TV - debating between a Panasonic TH50pz700U (consumer reports best buy) vs. Pioneer Elite 50 inch.  any comments please ?

sound system:

BeoLab 3 (2 front, 2 back)

BeoLab 2 - subwoofer

BeoLab 7-2 - central

BeoSystem 3 - receiver

putting my life savings into buying this system, so want to be 100% sure.

can someone pl advise if the above sound system is justified for a smaller theather room (16 feet x 12 feet) ???

is it possible to perhaps buy a different brand/make RECEIVER ? (other than bang and olufsen - this is obviously to cut down on the total price), something that is compatible with BeoLab3/Beolab2/Beolab7-2, or is it a stupid thing to do ?

thanks a lot in advance !

Hi Solaris,

Looks like a very nice setup you are planning.

You may want to use BeoLab 4000 as rears and a BeoLab 7-4 as center, as suggested by others in this thread. The money you save on the rear speakers can go towards your screen/processor. Given the width of your room, I'd say that your choice of BeoLab 3s as front speakers is a good choice and they will deliver.

As to the screen, you can definitely consider one from another brand. Do check with your dealer as to which screens go best with BeoSys3 if you select that as your processor. Also be aware that BeoVision 7 in the US comes with the BeoSystem 3 integrated, which means you will get the processing you require should you pick that.

Personally, I would pick a plasma screen -- and BeoSys3 goes well with a selection of other brands. As to using another receiver/processor, that's a pickle, since your speakers are active. You would have to be able to control the volume output level of each channel as you set up your system. There are various receivers capable of doing that, but you would have to check around, and non-B&O dealers may not have a lot of experience with that.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)