in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-18-2008 11:17 PM by Russ. 43 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (44 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-27-2007 1:35 PM

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Beosystem 3 & Third party panels

With beosystem 3 being more widely in the market now it was originally thought that this would be the answer for those who wished to operate a third party plasma, be it panasonic commercial panel or a pioneer.

Thats what appealed to me about it but having bought it I stumbled upon so many issues I bought the BV4!

So , are there any clever souls out there who have been able to get excellent results with a third party panel and control everything with beo4; Or am i correct in thinking that B&O has effectively stopped this - hence the need to buy a bv4! - and what is the picture quality compared to BV4( which we all know is the D9/10 pana variants)

• 08-27-2007 2:52 PM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Re: Beosystem 3 & Third party panels

I am more than happy with my setup, BS3, Panasonic TH50PH10, orginal B&O alu frame, auto contrast and switch on/off works. picture quality is great. The only thing which I don't have is the contrast screen, but I really don't miss it.

Karsten 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 08-27-2007 3:14 PM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Hello Karsten,

That sounds very nice; did your dealer do the entire setup or did you "do it yourself"?

Is the B&O frame standard available? Did you mount it yourself on your screen?

Do you have any pictures?

Regards,

Bieele 

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 08-27-2007 4:13 PM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Hi Bieele,

it was a DIY project :-), I was able to get a frame and the mounting cabinet from a damaged BV4-50 very cheap...I don't think you can get them as spare parts from B&O.

The G10 panel fits into the old mounting cabinet not perfectly but more than good enough for fixing it. It looks like a BV4-50 in any detail, so photos will not show you any new details.

Karsten 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 08-28-2007 8:16 AM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

Hello All,

I integrated a TH-42PH9 into an empty BV5 cabinet and connected it to the BS3. This weekend I 'reshaped' the original BV9 autocontrast sensor that it fits the BV5 IR cover on top of the cabinet and I can guarantee it was a nightmare. I had to cut a part of a 4-layer PCB and reconnect it again. I also ordered the cable from the BS3 which is connected to the BV9 motorstand, this way my BV5 is also BS3 motorstand controlled. I still have some work to do on the center speaker but at least I can enjoy the great picture which is produced by this system. Everything is working as it was a BV4/BV5, so why spending more money on the 'original' if this seems to work just fine. I'm also planning to integrate my STB and an Apple TV into the empty space originally taken by the BV5 electronics.

If someone is planning to do the same as me, I'm always willing to help out, because there's a lot to do. For example, you have to make a adapter to hang the monitor into the BV5 cabinet. I made an Autocad file to have this laser cutted.

...But I don't think that there are a lot of people who will do the same effort as I did. I had to make a choice before I started this 'project'. Or I'll buy a BV9 (but too big and expensive for me) or I look for a second life BV5. The second choice was not an option because I wanted the quality of the 9th generation Panasonic and at least HD-ready and future proof.

This left me with my DIY project and I don't regret at all.

• 08-28-2007 8:24 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I'm extremely impressed reading this, KUDOS to you! Well done, and what a fabulous idea. See if you can squeeze a BL 7.4 inside!! lol Stick out tongue

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-28-2007 11:00 AM In reply to

kawo:

I am more than happy with my setup, BS3, Panasonic TH50PH10, orginal B&O alu frame, auto contrast and switch on/off works. picture quality is great. The only thing which I don't have is the contrast screen, but I really don't miss it.

Karsten 

Karsten - How did you get the on/off to work?

I have a BeoSystem 3 and a Panasonic TH42PV500 (2 years old plasma). My picture is actually worse with the BeoSystem 3, but I am sure that is because my panel isn't the best to use with the BeoSystem 3. I am planning to change the panel - which panel should I go for? I have heard something about a "special" cable between the BeoSystem and a Panasonic Panel - is there such a thing?

Because my panel is a consumer panel (with a built in tuner) - whenever I turn it on I always have to again select HDMI input from my panasonic remote to get the signal from my BeoSystem 3. Does the TH50PH10 and other commercial panels "start-up" using a HDMI input?

Christian 

• 08-28-2007 12:10 PM In reply to

• frog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

The commercial panels switch on via the serial cable - the video signal comes through a DVI connection. As the BV4 panel is just a commercial PW (or PHD) Panasonic panel - expect everything to work as if it were.
  • 08-28-2007 12:37 PM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Christian,

I would go for a Panasonic commercial panel like mine as you will be able to get connected and controlled by the BS3 with most of the functions of the BV4.

For your Panasonic there is a "Hotel-Mode" available, there you are able to preselect HDMI as the default input if you switch it on (or leave it in stand-by). I don't know the details how this works but I know that it works...

Karsten 

• 08-28-2007 2:17 PM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

David:
    I'm extremely impressed reading this, KUDOS to you! Well done, and what a fabulous idea. See if you can squeeze a BL 7.4 inside!! lol Stick out tongue

Thanks for your reaction!
    Call me stupid but I don't have a clue what you mean by KUDOS.
    And yes, I was thinking about building in a speaker other than the original one, but I started with the speakers/amplifiers from an broken avant which I bought for 100 euro. I also used most of the parts from the motorstand.

If you're not rich, you have to be clever.
    This is my way of collecting the B&O stuff I always wanted but never had the potential to buy it.
    So now I have a timeless BV5 with upgrade possibilty

The only thing I'm still missing is this wonderful Beo5, and maybe a projector and a HD STB and...

• 08-29-2007 5:08 AM In reply to

How can I control on/off on my Panasonic TH42PV500 with my BeoSystem 3 / Beo4 ?

You have the Panasonic TH50PH10 panel - do you think getting the TH50PF9 - Full HD panel would work aswell or could I end up with a similar result which I currently have with the picture actually being better without the BS3?

Christian 

• 08-29-2007 8:50 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

chrisped:

How can I control on/off on my Panasonic TH42PV500 with my BeoSystem 3 / Beo4 ?

You have the Panasonic TH50PH10 panel - do you think getting the TH50PF9 - Full HD panel would work aswell or could I end up with a similar result which I currently have with the picture actually being better without the BS3?

Christian 

It will work in the same way but if your using SD sources the picture may not be as good with a full hd panel.Be interesting to see how the BS3 has bee updated( if at all) to cope with this!

• 08-29-2007 1:01 PM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Software Version 3.1 lists the G9 Full HD panel, so that should work!

Karsten 

• 08-30-2007 7:33 AM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Hi 355f, I have a two-year old 45" Sharp AQUOS LCD connected to the BS3 via a DVI cable. I just took out the Sharp AV system and replaced it with the BS3. I don't have the capacity to control the AQUOS as I don't know how it's utilising codes or whether B&O supports it or not, so I turn it on and off manually. However, it has a beaauuoootiful picture --- contrast could be better though. I believe the new Sharp sets are 1200:1 (mine's 800:1), but the new sets have a shiny front, and I prefer the no gloss-look --- no reflections --- and with 170 degree viewing you can't complain.

Regards 

Mike 

• 08-30-2007 9:01 AM In reply to

kawo:

Software Version 3.1 lists the G9 Full HD panel, so that should work!

Karsten 

Do you know how I could switch on/off my plasma using the BS3 / Beo4 - so I wouldnt have to use my panasonic remote?

Christian

• 08-30-2007 2:33 PM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

If you go with the comercial version and connect the RS232 cable between both the BS3 will switch on/off the panel

Karsten 

• 08-31-2007 4:16 AM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Karsten, is the list of panels available on the Internet? I'd like to know if the Sharp LC-45GX is there; or something similar of Sharp's.
  • 08-31-2007 6:50 AM In reply to

Does anyone know if Pioneer has any new commercial KURO panels that would be a good match with the BS3 ?
  • 08-31-2007 7:37 AM In reply to

• Corvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 124
    • Founder

355f:

With beosystem 3 being more widely in the market now it was originally thought that this would be the answer for those who wished to operate a third party plasma, be it panasonic commercial panel or a pioneer.

Thats what appealed to me about it but having bought it I stumbled upon so many issues I bought the BV4!

So , are there any clever souls out there who have been able to get excellent results with a third party panel and control everything with beo4; Or am i correct in thinking that B&O has effectively stopped this - hence the need to buy a bv4! - and what is the picture quality compared to BV4( which we all know is the D9/10 pana variants)

I intergrate a Pioneer 127cm and Sony HD set top box with the bs3, bc2 & bs9000. all works seemlesly with the Beo4 utilising a Lintronic box. I couldn't be happier and even control lighting and curtains with the beo4

• 08-31-2007 8:30 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Goldfrog88:
    Karsten, is the list of panels available on the Internet? I'd like to know if the Sharp LC-45GX is there; or something similar of Sharp's.

The reason for my original post is that it would seem B&O have made it very difficult to control anything other than the BV4 or the panasonic commercial screen on which it is based-  this of course is done for a reason!  Its a great pity that they do not offer options to control otehr panels.

For sure you will not be able to control Sharp or pioneer - in fact anything other than panasonic

• 08-31-2007 9:03 AM In reply to

When you nean the contrast and colour functions you are right. But it is possible to control the on/off function for a handful screens. I don't know exactly the screens but I have seen them in the PUC software at my dealer. The Sony Screen is available and it is working with on and off.

Frank 

• 08-31-2007 10:59 AM In reply to

I'm wondering if there's a different behaviors here between European and American BS3's.  I live in the US, and called B&O HQ about non-B&O displays.  They said they'd work fine as long as they were in their listed in the selection menu.  He claimed even the brightness/contrast controls would work (at least on Samsung LCD's), of which I'm sceptical.  I also caught a glimpse of supported displays, and it looked quite extensive (several models of Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, among others).  Projector support seemed limited to Sim2 and Samsung, although I think both panel and projector outputs would work, without on/off control, for any DVI-compatible display.

Others in the US agree with me?  Any of you outside of the US think I'm right about things being more restrictive where you are? 

I just ordered a BS3 myself with a commercial Panasonic display.  I'll give a full report of my experiences once it's set up.

-- Paul

• 08-31-2007 11:09 AM In reply to

Paul - what commercial panasonic model did you go for?

• 08-31-2007 11:09 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

frank2u:

When you nean the contrast and colour functions you are right. But it is possible to control the on/off function for a handful screens. I don't know exactly the screens but I have seen them in the PUC software at my dealer. The Sony Screen is available and it is working with on and off.

Frank 

Well i suppose what im trying to say is that after spending the huge sum reuiqred for beosystem 3 one would at least like to control on /off of a panel!

However, many find the image quality is far better if they bypass BS3 altogether- Hence the overal menaing of my post. And it would seem you need either a bv4 or a panasonic commercial panel in order that

1. you can turn it on and off!!

2. the picture quality is better with bs3 than without it!

3. you can control auto contrast and most picture function without the need of another remote or lintronic

• 08-31-2007 11:39 AM In reply to

chrisped:

Paul - what commercial panasonic model did you go for?

Panasonic TH-37PH10UK

-- Paul 

Page 1 of 2 (44 items) 1 2 Next >