in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-18-2008 11:17 PM by Russ. 43 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-31-2007 12:07 PM In reply to

Re: Beosystem 3 & Third party panels

After one has done the setup for the screen, does anybody really need the contrast and colour functions again? I never used them as I had the Avant. And I never use them now. Is there a difference between the DVDs? Or DVD and cable?

• 08-31-2007 12:25 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

frank2u:

After one has done the setup for the screen, does anybody really need the contrast and colour functions again? I never used them as I had the Avant. And I never use them now. Is there a difference between the DVDs? Or DVD and cable?

You are correct I never even look at the settings on the BV4. I was just disspointed that I was unable to get what i considered the best picture without buying the BV4.

What one wants to know is- with a third party panel is the picture better when you use the BS3 or better with the panel connected dircetly to source and how does any of those configurations compare to picture quality on the BV4 Thats what was happening to me: hence my bv4 purchase

• 10-14-2007 12:23 PM In reply to

I am interested to know whether there are any issues with connecting a commerical panasonic to the beosystem 3. Specifically, i have a beosystem 1 connected to a panasonic plasma and there are two annoying consequences 1. the panasonic lists the input which intereferes with the curtain and 2. there are black bars on the left and right side of the screen. Note my panasonic plasma is a not a commerical model; but it has a vga port.

I am planning on getting the 65 version commericial but am concerned about the above issues.

• 10-14-2007 4:25 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

Black bars should not be visible on an HD program.  If not HD, with my local cable (Cox), the STB settings manage the non-HD signals.  It offers several viewing options for non-HD, including stretch and black bars.  You might check your STB settings.

Ray

• 10-15-2007 12:38 PM In reply to

• Cleo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-04-2007
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

i´m just looking for a cabinet of a BV9 to place my BS3 and a Panasonic TH50 PF9EK (full HD panel) in it. Has anybody done this before.

Ciao Cleo

ciao cleo

• 10-16-2007 5:09 PM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

I ordered an empty BV5 cabinet to do the same with a 42" Panasonic plasma. My major problem was that I couldn't order the metal plate to connect the plasma to the cabinet. I had to make it myself because B&O didn't have an ordering number for this part. Maybe you will have more luck with the BV9 partnumbers.
    For the rest, I had to order a cable to connect the BS3 to the motorstand which is in fact an Avant stand. I also ordered the original BV9 contrast sensor but I had to reduce the size to get it into the smaller BV5 sensor housing. You won't have the same problem.
    I also used the original speakers and amplifiers from a broken Avant because they are the same as in a BV5. I still have to make the controller PCB to get the center speaker working. I'm also planning to include my STB and also an Apple TV in the space where the original electronics used to be. My BS3 will be mounted on the wall, just behind the BV5. At the moment I can watch TV without the center speaker, but I'm using my front speakers instead.
  • 10-17-2007 5:35 PM In reply to

but what about the center speaker / acoustic lense of BV9 - surely that is not part of the cabinet?
  • 10-17-2007 10:55 PM In reply to

Frank said: 

>...And it would seem you need either a bv4 or a panasonic commercial panel in order that...

>...3. you can control auto contrast and most picture function without the need of another remote or lintronic

Well, I have my Panasonic TH-37PH10UK commercial plasma hooked up, and auto-contrast isn't working.  The contrast control is greyed out, and the display doesn't seem to respond to changing light.

So, anyone have luck with this?  I've also heard that B&O sells their own DVI card (for 4x price).  Is this what's needed?

Other than auto-contrast, it works great.

I live in the USA, which I feel I should mention since there seem to be definite differences between the US and European BS3s.

-- Paul

• 10-19-2007 12:36 PM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

chrisped:
    but what about the center speaker / acoustic lense of BV9 - surely that is not part of the cabinet?

Indeed, this will not be a part of the cabinet but you will be able to order it seperately. Just look it up in the service manual, you will see all the parts in there.

Good luck!
  • 10-19-2007 1:57 PM In reply to

• Cleo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-04-2007
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

were can I download the service manual to collect the parts ??Yes -  thumbs up

Ciao Cleo

ciao cleo

• 10-19-2007 4:12 PM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

Or you must be a silver/gold member or you have to ask your dealer if he can help you out.
  • 10-19-2007 4:38 PM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

beopaul:
    Frank said: 

>...And it would seem you need either a bv4 or a panasonic commercial panel in order that...

>...3. you can control auto contrast and most picture function without the need of another remote or lintronic

Well, I have my Panasonic TH-37PH10UK commercial plasma hooked up, and auto-contrast isn't working.  The contrast control is greyed out, and the display doesn't seem to respond to changing light.

So, anyone have luck with this?  I've also heard that B&O sells their own DVI card (for 4x price).  Is this what's needed?

I live in the USA, which I feel I should mention since there seem to be definite differences between the US and European BS3s.

-- Paul

Hello Paul,

I had exactly the same problem with my 42" D9 panel. I changed the setting 'monitor autodetect' in the customer service menu to 'no'.
    The BS3 went into safe mode but after resetting it, the autocontrast worked as it was a BV4. I used the original Panasonic DVI board.
  • 10-20-2007 12:17 PM In reply to

• Cleo
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-04-2007
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

.... he couldBig Smile

Ciao Cleo

ciao cleo

• 10-22-2007 12:27 PM In reply to

Hello Beogen,

I'm very interesting in your BV5 project. Is it possible to get some Pictures of your self-made BV5?

With best regards tvcfan

• 10-25-2007 5:12 PM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

tvcfan:

Hello Beogen,

I'm very interesting in your BV5 project. Is it possible to get some Pictures of your self-made BV5?

With best regards tvcfan

I was going to open a new topic as soon as I finished this 'project' but I just changed job so I don't find the time to finish my center speaker.
    Are you planning to do the same?
    Just give me some time to gather the pictures I already made.
  • 03-17-2008 5:08 PM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

beopaul:
    Frank said: 

-- Paul

I was searching the forum to see if there was a list of compatible plasma panels to be used in combination with the beosystem 3.

This thread was the best I could find. I have still 2 questions after reading this thread:

- Can the problem described above be solved? If yes: How does the BS3 get the light information: through the IR detector? Or do I need to order something special for that?

- Is there a list available of compatible plasma screens? Do the Panasonic 10th generation screens work properly?

Thanks for the info!

Bieele 

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 03-17-2008 5:45 PM In reply to

I am not so sure autocontrast is a good thing - it would be better to have the panel ISF calibrated instead. In this case you get the optimum performance at a specific light level. Granted - it is not automatically changing depending on the light level etc, but compare the two at the same light level and you should see the difference.
  • 03-18-2008 11:01 PM In reply to

cowtwn:

I am interested to know whether there are any issues with connecting a commerical panasonic to the beosystem 3. Specifically, i have a beosystem 1 connected to a panasonic plasma and there are two annoying consequences 1. the panasonic lists the input which intereferes with the curtain and 2. there are black bars on the left and right side of the screen. Note my panasonic plasma is a not a commerical model; but it has a vga port.

I am planning on getting the 65 version commericial but am concerned about the above issues.

Not to worry. I have a 65" commercial Panny plasma 9UK (previous generation) connected to a BS3 through the panel's DVI input and it works just fine, including the auto contrast adjustment feature. What really surprised me, however, is that when I first connected the screen to the BS3, the latter automatically identified the screen as a BV4 65-9. I figured I would have to at least select the screen from a menu, but the BS3 "sees" the plasma as a BV4 through the RS232C cable and feeds it accordingly. Obviously the electronics are identical, at least from the BS3's viewpoint. Conventional wisdom among B&O dealers is that the BV4 has different and superior glass than the corresponding Panny commercial model, but I am not convinced by that argument. I don't find the PQ of the 65" Panny to be in any way inferior to the 65" BV4.

• 03-18-2008 11:17 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Cowtwn,

the prevailing sentiment is that if you are using the Panasic MONITOR and attach the RS-232 connection as well as the DVI video cable, the BS-3 will treat it exactly as it does the Panny's cousin BV-4.

Chrisped,

when using a BV-4, the panel comes with a sticker on the back with a list of calibrated settings which are then entered into the BS-3 so that it 'knows' precisely how to adjust for that individual panel.

ISF calibration is a terriffic thing to pay to have done for you.  Anyone serious about video ought to be willing to do so...the 'Auto Contrast' feature is still important, since lighting conditions in most viewing rooms are not constant.  The BS-3/BV-4 are designed to compensate for how our eye responds and our brain interprets as lighting conditions change through time.  ISF guidelines indicate that calibrations be done while the room is lit for normal viewing.  If one has a dedicated, light controlled room, this would be enough, but if one has a nice waterfront home with an amazing view of the Ocean/Lake/Fijord, then the light in the room at 2pm on delivery day won't be the same as it is for 'movie night'.  BS-3 is intended to account for this.

Russ 

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2