in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-03-2007 11:16 AM by Peter. 281 replies.
Page 7 of 12 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-16-2007 4:16 AM In reply to

Re: Beo 5 Countdown- who get the first one...?

• 09-16-2007 4:35 AM In reply to

If only Beo5 had had 2-way communication..

I don't watch TV

I don't watch satellite TV

So all the icons for the TV channels are useless to me ...but I have NMUSIC & NRADIO: can I see the channel name or track name on Beo5? NOSad

Imagine the dealer storing the names & logos for 3,000 radio stations [:'(]  and 40 Go of net music Hmm.

To be quite frank, I believe my Beo4 + Lintronic converter can do much more things than Beo5, like playing NRADIO when I press RADIO, or NMUSIC when pressing AMEM, with the ability to setup the whole thing on a quiet Sunday morning and without disturbing my dealer.

If only B&O had hired Tolga , they would have had a nice Beo5..well, nicer to my taste at least!

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 09-16-2007 9:41 AM In reply to

Just as a punt, and I've mentioned this before, I would be surprised if the Beo5 is not hard-wired for 2-way communication sometime in the future. The plastic IR transparent screen back is way too big for just transmitting one-way. Just look at the Beo4 window. There has to be a reason for that. (Wider open area to better recieve signals from various sources across the room and to speed up feedback - a fault the 1st generation 2-way products had).

I also suspect that this remote can do a whole lot more than pull up a pretty icon for the BBC or CNN. The fact that this is not in the current released specs may be because B&O not want to let the public know of forthcomming capabilities or products. For example, what would happen to Beoport, Beomedia 1, BeoSound 4 and Beocentre 2 sales if the public knew 2-way devices were somewhere around the corner?

All speculation - absolutely, but I would like to think the design clues are there.

10% 

• 09-16-2007 11:25 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Do you know, I don't think you're wrong there.
    When we were in Struer, the lady that introduced us to the Beo5 intimated that they may be looking towards two-way in the future but would not make a commited answer.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 09-16-2007 1:32 PM In reply to

• Philippe
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Santiago:

Salut Philippe mon ami!

Fresh news from my dealer:

Beo5 will be able to command any IR domestic device only by itself (so your option number 3 Yes -  thumbs up)...
    BUT
    only in the future ! Hmm
    B&O has not yet implemented the codes; the beo5 hardware is universal "IR ready", but not the actual software.

By the way, my beo5 arrives in two weeks Party!!!

Greetings. 

Thanks mon ami Santiago!

Hope everything's fine for you Yes -  thumbs up

Thanks for your tip : people around here say everything and its opposite about this new remote! But it seems the dealers are in the fog too!

See you,

Philippe

• 09-16-2007 1:56 PM In reply to

Hi,

after you have choosen the Light.. button, go to the next page with the triangle. There are the Lamp... buttons. After you have choosen the Lamp you can choos On/Off. In my case this is working but I can't dim the lamps.

• 09-16-2007 2:30 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hi Ed. I only have three LCs and so can set them as different light pictures on setting 1....setting 2...etc
    If I remember correctly, you have nine LCs , but are they in different rooms/zones?
    BTW, I have booked and paid for the ferry for my visit to your humble abode.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 09-16-2007 3:19 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I canBig Smile
    Lamp 2 then up and down on the ball doesn't affect the other two lights
    Doesn't seem to work on Lamp 1 though, so I guess it just needs setting up properly. We will get there eventually, we are still on a learning curve!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 09-16-2007 7:20 PM In reply to

Mr10Percent:

Just as a punt, and I've mentioned this before, I would be surprised if the Beo5 is not hard-wired for 2-way communication sometime in the future. The plastic IR transparent screen back is way too big for just transmitting one-way. Just look at the Beo4 window. There has to be a reason for that. (Wider open area to better recieve signals from various sources across the room and to speed up feedback - a fault the 1st generation 2-way products had).

I also suspect that this remote can do a whole lot more than pull up a pretty icon for the BBC or CNN. The fact that this is not in the current released specs may be because B&O not want to let the public know of forthcomming capabilities or products. For example, what would happen to Beoport, Beomedia 1, BeoSound 4 and Beocentre 2 sales if the public knew 2-way devices were somewhere around the corner?

All speculation - absolutely, but I would like to think the design clues are there.

10% 

I agree with you. A modern version of the legendary BeoLink 7000 is on my wish list for a long time. Not putting a two-way option on B&O's RC flagship the Beo5, would be insane. But my recent experiences with B&O's product strategy has deflated my expectations. Many promising products I bought turned out to be not upgradeable:

My first generation Beocenter 2 was not upgradeable to digital radio.
    My Beovision 50"/Beosystem 1 wasn't upgradeable for HD connectors. I had to switch to Beosystem 3 after 2 years.

The best RC's B&O created were BeoLink 7000 and the BeoLink 5000, which has a translucent display. We'll see if the Beo5 will be a worthy successor.

• 09-17-2007 9:00 AM In reply to

Mine is now up and running and I am delighted with it. I have almost all my zones working properly - I am still sorting out some equipment that uses a Link command but that is just time.

I have my DTV working and have a selection of channels with logos pre-programmed - I think the answer here is not to have too many or you get too many screens but to pick the one in the numerical area you watch most often and then use the arrow keys to navigate.

My analogue TV also has the 5 channels clearly marked with the logos and, most importantly, the radio channels all have logos. This has been a want of mine for some time as having DAB means that I have quite a few channels which I cannot see the name of unless next to the BC2.

The ability to have what is essentially a bespoke remote is great and is actually more useful in some ways than my Beolink 7000. No operating glitches yet though the set up did take quite a long time so I pity dealers with fussy customers. It should increase footfall in stores though!!

There does seem to be a plethora of Beo5 threads at present. I was wondering whether we wanted a Beo5 problem thread where queries can be raised rather than trawling through all the initial threads. We could make this sticky for a while till people got the hang of things. Would this be a popular idea?

• 09-17-2007 9:24 AM In reply to

For the channel logos, the idea is to create one menu per groups:

General Interest channels: BBC1,2, Channel4,...

Wheater: ...

News: ....

Music: ...

So when you want to choose a channel you click on DTV, Channel, Music, MTV

Another suggestion is to create groups per person in the family.

p.

• 09-17-2007 1:03 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Peter:

Would this be a popular idea?

Excellent idea. My Beo5 is due any day. I'm glad you guys are fully testing it before I start with the questions.

• 09-17-2007 1:04 PM In reply to

How do you define a button for Phono or A.Tape?
    I realy hope that I will be able to do this but havn't found it in the IR-commands.

/Ola
  • 09-17-2007 1:10 PM In reply to

Peter:

There does seem to be a plethora of Beo5 threads at present. I was wondering whether we wanted a Beo5 problem thread where queries can be raised rather than trawling through all the initial threads. We could make this sticky for a while till people got the hang of things. Would this be a popular idea?

Great idea Peter.  I would love to stick with this thread until most Beo5 startup issues are solved.

Best,

Erhan 

• 09-17-2007 1:28 PM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Mr10Percent:
    ...I would be surprised if the Beo5 is not hard-wired for 2-way communication sometime in the future. The plastic IR transparent screen back is way too big for just transmitting one-way. Just look at the Beo4 window. There has to be a reason for that.

Unfortunately, the Beo4 display only has one line of text, I think seven characters... I WISH the Beo4 had multiple lines of text, it would make for a helluva lot easier programming.

I do think that B & O has stumbled, and I DO mean stumbled in not allowing their userbase to configure their own Beo5's. It's nice that Dealers do it, but to obligate users to have dealer configuration is a total misstep.

-Sal

Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 09-17-2007 2:02 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

As far as I know Ola, the code for PHONO is the same as N.RADIO. This is what you have to use on the later Beo4 model.
    Therefore, you use the IR code for N.Radio but you can rename the button as phono by using text.
    A.TAPE is already in there, it's just called tape.
    Bit of a nuisance if you already use N.RADIO but there is a way round it.

Good idea Peter. I think we have 6 Beo5 threads going on at the moment.
    You'll have to title it carefully though.
    BTW I seem to have rekindled my interest in jazz since Saturday. Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli are excellent!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 09-17-2007 2:14 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Before I go to my dealers for Beo5 configuring, would it be useful to plan my set-up requirements. If so what advise would you give?
  • 09-17-2007 2:55 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Yes Richard, it's very important you go in prepared.
    I would draw some boxes, one for each room/zone and put in the boxes names of your controlable devices. Bear in mind that some of the older equipment will be changed to their modern counterpart. For example, Beolab Penta will be listed as Beolab 1 and my 7000 system's equivalent is Ouverture!
    Draw lines between the boxes for rooms that are masterlinked together.
    Another thing I would do is make a list of all TV/Sat/Radio channels you use.
    Think carefully about which buttons you use on your Beo4 and which you don't. I never use text button while watching Sky so I've moved it to a different page than all my Logos.
    I use AV an awful lot so have made sure it's visible whether I'm on Radio or TV or Satellite.
    A very handy thing that Beo5 can do is make a chain of commands. As I watch Sky+ recorded programmes all the time, on my Beo4 I have to press this sequence
    DTV---Menu---1---green, then if I want the sound in my passives in the dining room,---AV---DTV.
    I just have to press one button now called SKY+, all my recorded programmes are then on the Avant's screen!
    I recommend you sit down and watch telly as normal and write down all the buttons you use, play a tape or an LP then mute it coz the 'phone rang, exit your menu, play a CD, skip 3 tracks turn the TV stand round and so on and so on etc

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 09-17-2007 3:00 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

So can you mix, say DTV, CD buttons with SKY NEWS icon and also a button that will as you say, DTV--Menu--1---green all on the Beo5 screen at the same time?
  • 09-17-2007 3:07 PM In reply to

this is the menu of PS3 in Beo5.

I wrote to Beocare and ask if it can pilot PS3. They couldent say yes or no, so they will come back to me when they have sorted this out

Do they now that PS3 only use bluetoothWink

• 09-17-2007 3:36 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Well, yes and noConfused
    This is my lounge screen (Soory, Beo5 is well difficult to photograph)

Poor me, never win owt!

• 09-17-2007 3:39 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

When I press the second button down, which I have called 'Satellite' I am presented with this screen

Poor me, never win owt!

Page 7 of 12 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »