in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-20-2007 2:53 PM by Jandyt. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-19-2007 7:47 AM

What I really want is Beolab 3s on steroids!

I love my 3s and can't imagine ever getting rid of them.I have them hooked up to a black BL2  in preference to the BL9 which I just couldn't get on with sonically [hollowed midrange here]

The  sub, to me, has a 'valvey' sound when playing music...soft,ill-defined bass.Impressive for tv viewing but far from ideal for faster stuff.It's settings,positioning etc has been optimised as far as possible,in my listening environment.

So,if there is little likelihood of a mk11 musically tweaked B&0 sub then what about a bigger BL3? That would be perfect.I love the life,musicality,involvement,relative speed and versatility of the 3s.

So imagine a similar design approaching the size of a BL2.Perhaps with a more high tech,lighter,quicker drive unit.Whilst maintaining the sonic signature of the 3s.Still realitively compact,maintaining the versatility of placement.I can just imagine them on twin-columned pedastals [a la 40" BV7 stand] or sat on my desk.

I'd buy a pair in a heartbeat!! 

• 08-19-2007 8:04 AM In reply to

Re: What I really want is Beolab 3s on steroids!

It is a shame that B&O seem to have designed the BL2 to sound 'impressive' to Joe Public,rather than musically satisfying.

In the same way that dealers are allegedly told to dem systems with the Loudness on,which is the default factory setting.

It does seem a bit at odds with having a critical panel of Golden Ears!

Anyway,all will be forgiven if you add  BL3.5s to the range ;-)

I would,of course,be happy to test the prototypes and provide suitable feedback...

Sign the petition for BL3.5s.Maybe they could be called Beolab 6..or 8...

• 08-19-2007 9:36 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Don't we all! In all honesty i beared the same concept in my mind when i first saw pictures of them and was surprised at how small they were in real life, but what you're suggesting will never happen! Well... i should never say never, but extremely unlikely. I presume the designers of the BL3 considered the size of the speaker relative to the sound that they wanted the speakers to achieve.

I question your opinion on the BL9's sound. What are you comparing the sound to? Attend a few live performances, audition some SERIOUS speakers such as the BL5's and i'm almost certain that you'll discover that the perceived "hollowing midrange" is actually a very realistic timbre.

It may also be that the demonstration you received of the BL9's was plagued by a lack of 'run in' that they require within the first few days of listening. I experienced this hollow sound when i heard them the day after they were rolled into our local dealer.

I agree with what you say about the BL2. It should sound ALOT better, but keep in mind that it is only their second attempt at the subwoofer. In my opinion, B&O should consider altering their design philosophy for the next sub they release.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-19-2007 10:13 AM In reply to

I had the 9s at home for a week,played them for 10-12 hrs a day, desperately wanting them to break in before I made a decision.The top end sounded very hard too.

Better not mention the  breaking in phenomenon in front of the Beoworld naysayers.

A complete relief to listen to the 3s after.

I  am also not a fan of the BL5s. Never heard them sounding musical.I prefer the 3s.Others have heard them performing well though.There are plenty of better sounding speakers out in hi-end hifi land [some of which I have owned] but not for £10k.

I did quite like the bass of the 9s,but that was it..I have done some basic modifications to transducers  in the past [with good results]  I'm sure the heavy looking drive units of the sub are limiting it's potential.

BL3.5s or a better sub is what we need. 

C'mon B&O... 

• 08-19-2007 10:54 AM In reply to

I love my BL3s and my BL5s. I have the 5s set up with a generous distance to the back wall, and a meter from the side wall, in a room which is quite ideal for audio. Must say I'm very pleased with their sound, on the acoustic music I listen to.
    I'm using an untraditional source, though, as I run them through a Konnekt 24D from t.c. electronic, which takes lossless files from my Mac and sends them on to the BL5s through S/PDIF.

The BL3s get their signal through LINE IN or Powerlink, depending upon what I'm using as a source. Very pleased with their sound, and don't really need more bass to them (but then I'm not bass hungry).

But yes - the BL2 is ready for an overhaul - or else you could get a subwoofer from another brand, quite a few are using ICEpower amp's, and it should be possible to integrate it with a B&O system without too much bother. I'm sure there are people on the forum with experience in that respect.

(Slightly OT to go in defense of the BL5s in a BL3 thread, but they're simply standout excellent speakers for music, in my opinion.)

• 08-19-2007 11:00 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Synergy:

I had the 9s at home for a week,played them for 10-12 hrs a day, desperately wanting them to break in before I made a decision.The top end sounded very hard too.

Better not mention the  breaking in phenomenon in front of the Beoworld naysayers.

A complete relief to listen to the 3s after.

I  am also not a fan of the BL5s. Never heard them sounding musical.I prefer the 3s.Others have heard them performing well though.There are plenty of better sounding speakers out in hi-end hifi land [some of which I have owned] but not for £10k.

I did quite like the bass of the 9s,but that was it..I have done some basic modifications to transducers  in the past [with good results]  I'm sure the heavy looking drive units of the sub are limiting it's potential.

BL3.5s or a better sub is what we need. 

C'mon B&O... 

YOUR NOT A FAN OF BEOLAB 5'S?? Surprise Oh my goodness. I really think you need to attend some live performances to be reminded of what the instruments actually sound like! Stick out tongue Listening to music, is just that, not bass and top-end. Bang & Olufsen is SO MUCH MORE than that.

• 08-19-2007 12:24 PM In reply to

Once upon a time I was a musician so am well aware of what live music sounds like ;-)

I have also been to many gigs over the lst 40 plus years and listened to countless setups and used to sell hi end hifi.Even worked in a B&O shop over 20 years ago and been on their training courses...

Always  underwhelmed with the 5s whenever I have heard them at dealers :-(

I'm sure they can sound as good as some people say but a lot dealers have far from ideal dem facilities.

So,I have very good ears thanksyou.

Besides,I just want some BL3.5s or an updated sub.

Roll up,roll up...sign the petition. 

• 08-19-2007 1:03 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I think something is going wrong! BeoLab 3s sound much duller to my ears than 5s, which have far more 'zing'. Cymbals sound a bit flat and lifeless on the 3s (digital is the best word to describe it), and sometimes harsh. BeoLab 5s sound much more 'alive'. I don't know how you managed to have that experience, but maybe all the setups you heard them in had something in common? Maybe they were all connected to a 3200 or 4, rather than a 9000 or BC2 and therefore connected with an analogue connection.

RE the 3s, It sounds to me more like you're used to a sound with marginally OTT midrange. The 3s have a bit of a lump around 800 Hz - 1.2 KHz, and hence the mid frequencies are often a bit too in-ya-face. Sounds good with a lot of music, but generally, I found it can get a bit coarse and wearing after listening for a while.

9s and 5s however, have a much flatter response overall, and to my (musician's) ears, they sound far far more natural, and just leave the music, rather than imprinting their own sonic signature on the sound (less so on the 9s).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-19-2007 3:00 PM In reply to

Of course,the 3s are far from perfect and not the last word in transparency,but I do like their coherance,especially at lower volumes.

We also have the 8000s but I prefer the solidity and more natural top end of the 3s.Mine don't sound bright at all,partly because the room isn't acoustically reflective/live.

The 9s really were pretty unlistenable here. 

A BL2/3 hybrid could be fantastic.Better drive units,cute looks,relatively compact,more transparent.

Like a mini BL5,sound wise,but with SOUL ....man.

• 08-19-2007 10:43 PM In reply to

An intersting story on the BL9's. I had the opportunity to experience them in a big room. 20m x 10m. They were set up with about 5m to the wall behind them and about 4 meters to the side walls.

There is no way a domestic speaker of this size should be able to fill a room this size, but the 9's did it with ease. I even had the switches of the 9's on the in corner setting (least amount of bass).

The scenario was a euphonium recital. The music chosen by the performer was quite eclectic and dare i say a little self involved. However, the performance was amazing. For 2 of his pieces he used a backing track and BL9's provided the sound. Totally extraordinary. After the performance he said to me that in all the times he had performed those pieces he had never had the backing track sound so "real".

After the performance i had the opportunity to really turn them up and let them stretch their legs.... Low bass (although a little confused), clear clean treble and articulate mid's, and much more sound than would ever be required in a domestic home.

jazz

• 08-20-2007 12:33 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Synergy:

Of course,the 3s are far from perfect and not the last word in transparency,but I do like their coherance,especially at lower volumes.

We also have the 8000s but I prefer the solidity and more natural top end of the 3s.Mine don't sound bright at all,partly because the room isn't acoustically reflective/live.

A BL2/3 hybrid could be fantastic.Better drive units,cute looks,relatively compact,more transparent.

Unsure Synergy, your posts are perplexing me as to how you could be listening to the BL9's and BL5's and perceiving the sounds the way that you've described here. The BL3's are incredible. The BL9's are twice as good. The BL5's are indescribable.... to 99% percent of the people that heave heard, and commented on them. The BL5's have been mistaken many times for live performances and the sound of a real band.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that our hearing does deteriorate as we get older, and it is something that i dread happening to me. Sad

• 08-20-2007 1:59 AM In reply to

David:
    Synergy:

Unsure Synergy, your posts are perplexing me as to how you could be listening to the BL9's and BL5's and perceiving the sounds the way that you've described here. The BL3's are incredible. The BL9's are twice as good. The BL5's are indescribable.... to 99% percent of the people that heave heard, and commented on them. The BL5's have been mistaken many times for live performances and the sound of a real band.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that our hearing does deteriorate as we get older, and it is something that i dread happening to me. Sad

First synergy's musical credentials are questioned, and then aspersions are cast on his hearing. You're on a roll, David!

You're making some quite broad generalizations here, David. I have listened to the BL9s in what B&O considers the perfect setting. I own the BL3s and BL5s.

Saying that the BL3 is the speaker that belongs at the bottom of the ranking is wrong, in my opinion. In fact, for pure fidelity and depth of sound it is quite astonishingly good - AS LONG AS you don't ask it to work at top output.

The BL5s are superb speakers, world class. They do have the ICEpower amp's on the mid- and top drivers, and there's discussion in hifi circles as to whether ICE is ideal for that.

The BL9 seems to be seeking to eliminate this by using hybrid amp's on the mid and top, and it's been quite successful. But these are three speakers that would, ideally, be used differently. Matched to rooms and listening situations, and for which they are ideally suited when used right. You can put BL5s in too small rooms where they'll sound forced, and you'll look silly with BL9s as your PC speakers or near-field monitors, for instance. You get my point.

If you listen closely to the BL5s, when they are playing a recording with high-frequency sounds (for instance woodwinds/brass going at it) -- then tell me what you hear, in detail, and I'll tell you how good YOUR hearing is. 

• 08-20-2007 2:18 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I did not put the BL3's at the bottom! They are as a whole not as good as BL9's, hence they are hlaf the price. Sorry to be so blunt, but this is forum. I don't deliberately tread on peoples toes! Sad

• 08-20-2007 3:08 AM In reply to

David:
    I did not put the BL3's at the bottom! They are as a whole not as good as BL9's, hence they are hlaf the price. Sorry to be so blunt, but this is forum. I don't deliberately tread on peoples toes! Sad

Nah, it's OK. They were some really broad assertions, though. Quoting you: The BL3's are incredible. The BL9's are twice as good. 

I think we're looking at a "starting to become complete" range of acoustic speakers, from a lower powered to a high powered model. Each with their pro's & con's -- but all doing the job nicely when used right. I think synergy likes the BL3s because he's a musician. Just as the musician who used the BL9s for background was amazed at how well he played along with that background.

The acoustic lenses are great. Also because you can actually play at lower volumes than you otherwise would, and still catch the details -- which means I won't destroy my hearing too soon. I hope! 

• 08-20-2007 3:29 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Ah bad wording woops! It's got to be the lens that turns the sound into something so very real.

I was only thinking last night, that so long as i only listen to B&O my hearing should be preserved, because when i was watching the TV i noticed that i had the volume quite low, but could hear every word and nuance. Brilliant Big Smile

• 08-20-2007 4:16 AM In reply to

David,you have overstepped the mark with your assertion towards me.Sure it's a forum,but to insinuate that my hearing is fccked and hence my opinions lack validity is downright OFFENSIVE.Shame on you.

They are my opinions based on what I have heard in various environments over the last couple of years.My aural and design crieria may differ from yours but don't get offensive because we have had different experiences or I don't toe the B&O hierarchical line.

My ears are fine DUDE.

• 08-20-2007 5:33 AM In reply to

David

I think something is getting forgotten here.

It's about enjoying the music.

If the Beolab 5 sounds better to you, and you prefer it to other speakers then it is a better speaker for you. Some people may agree, others may not and that's cool.

If the Belab 5s aren't to synergys tastes, then he is right too. There is no law that says he must like them. He has heard more high-end speakers than I ever will and I respect his opinion and yours.

It is about how each of us hear music as individuals and what our tastes are. We are here to offer each other advice but I do think in your enthusiasm to get your point across to Synergy you have overstepped the mark a bit and implyng that his hearing has must have gone through old age is just plain rude.

Perhaps an apology would be in order?

Simon

• 08-20-2007 6:28 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Of course there is personal preference, but saying BeoLab 3s are more natural than BeoLab 5s is like saying a Lotus can go as fast as a Bugatti. BeoLab 3s have a much lumpier response than the BeoLab 5s, response graphs would be absolute proof of this. The BeoLab 5s are MUCH more faithful than the 3s, although that doesn't necessarily make them better speakers from a listener's point of view...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-20-2007 7:34 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Synergy:

David,you have overstepped the mark with your assertion towards me.Sure it's a forum,but to insinuate that my hearing is fccked and hence my opinions lack validity is downright OFFENSIVE.Shame on you.

They are my opinions based on what I have heard in various environments over the last couple of years.My aural and design crieria may differ from yours but don't get offensive because we have had different experiences or I don't toe the B&O hierarchical line.

My ears are fine DUDE.

Oh my god shame shame shame i AM so ashamed i did not realise that my post would offend, and of couse i apologise! I'm very sorry and i did not mean to direct any negative comment to you! [:'(] I need a white flag smiley.

I got caught up in a moment of shock, i have never heard, what i consider, one of the worlds greatest speakers and achievements being poo pooed in such a way. But again i'm sorry, Synergy. Alex is quite right in highlighting the difference of what people perceive as being good sound.

• 08-20-2007 8:44 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

wirralsimon:

David

I think something is getting forgotten here.

It's about enjoying the music.

If the Beolab 5 sounds better to you, and you prefer it to other speakers then it is a better speaker for you. Some people may agree, others may not and that's cool.

If the Belab 5s aren't to synergys tastes, then he is right too. There is no law that says he must like them. He has heard more high-end speakers than I ever will and I respect his opinion and yours.

It is about how each of us hear music as individuals and what our tastes are. We are here to offer each other advice but I do think in your enthusiasm to get your point across to Synergy you have overstepped the mark a bit and implyng that his hearing has must have gone through old age is just plain rude.

Perhaps an apology would be in order?

Simon

Well im not sure an apology is in order actually!! 

Fact is if one starts a post that indicates that the BL5 have never impressed and the BL9- well nothing of note there!!!  what does the poster think the response will be from individuals that have bought these items!!

He might well be right, although one wonders why the bl3  have not recieved the all round good acclaim from so many ( outside of B&O)that the BL9 have received

In any event individuals will defend their purchases if the poster is correct or not and, as i presume he is a slighly older individual should have realised what human nature is by now!! and very often its  acse of what one has is always the best! and the reference to age and hearing deficiency was not made to lower the standing of the poster- it is of course a fact that hearing goes downhill after 25!

• 08-20-2007 9:09 AM In reply to

Alex...I never once said the 3s were more natural than the 5s.I said musical.By which I mean the conveyance of emotion and intent,whilst having an ability to involve the listener.In contrast to the 'accurate' camp.

Unless someone else said the 3s are more natural? 

Also,I have qualified my various comments at each point.I even said that I am sure  the 5s can sound as good as others say,I just haven't heard it.

David,apology accepted.

The original point of my post seems to have been lost.

A shame that many forums spiral into petty ego/pseudo intellectual battlegrounds with the familiar faces often being the worst culprits.

On that note I will depart from Beoworld.

• 08-20-2007 9:15 AM In reply to

Would really be a damn shame if you leave BeoWorld over this, Synergy.

I found it very refreshing that there would be a member with a musical background as a performer on the forum, and hope you'll reconsider. I think you can bring a lot of important insights to the discussions here!

And as to your original point - yes, the BL3s can do with a little precision assistance at the bottom. I have never owned a BL2 myself and haven't really listened much to one either, but from what I understand they are good for film, but not quick and precise enough for music.  

And it would be great to have a sub-woofer shell that matched the casing of the BL3s ... 

• 08-20-2007 10:07 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Oh no! Please don't leave the forum on that note, i will feel terrible, and it was simply a misunderstanding between posts, not petty ego stuff, that isn't what happens in these forums, Beoworld is an excellent place to exchange information and opinions, and i have learnt SO SO MUCH about Bang & Olufsen since i joined. For your own sake you must stick around. Don't forget the great odds of winning a prize each month! Smile

• 08-20-2007 11:14 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I don't think anybody should be leaving the forum just due to a difference in opinion.

Everybody's entitled to their own beliefs, and even if others strongly disagree with them (as is the case here), you should stick by your opinion, and not let it affect you in unwanted ways...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-20-2007 12:13 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

I don't think anybody should be leaving the forum just due to a difference in opinion.

Everybody's entitled to their own beliefs, and even if others strongly disagree with them (as is the case here), you should stick by your opinion, and not let it affect you in unwanted ways...

If one posts on a forum one has to accept that individuals will interpret the post differently and they wont always like what one has to say and will always defend the product that they have bought. Is this really a reason to leave a forum!!!  come on!

Obviously, one is sorry if an individual feels one should leave as a result of this ( obviously with some they have very easlity hurt feelings and surely a professional individual will show he is just that -and brush the negative comments to one side and with that professional knowledge- use it to form a detailed debate!

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >