in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-12-2007 9:37 AM by KellyJoe. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-17-2007 1:00 AM

Beocenter 9000 Tuner Issues

Hi, 

Let me first introduce myself.  I am avid music listener who is new to the B&O world.  I have been mesmerized by them for years but could not afford even a used machine.  Several friends have known of my interest for a while and when one moved recently she passed on her first B&O.  So my inherited Beocenter 9000 has some issues.  Namely the tuner is on the blink.  I have basic electronic repair skills and am also willing to be sent to a reputable repairer.  The radio when you tune manually sounds like it scans the entire fm scale but does not lock onto any station.  When you stop on a freq it just has static.  When you tune back to opposite way you started you can hear it run through all the stations again.  Stop and you just get static.  Any suggestions as to the cause.  And a fair cost on the repair.

thank you in advance,

Kelly Joe 

• 08-17-2007 1:46 AM In reply to

Re: Beocenter 9000 Tuner Issues

Kelly:

Did you inherit the antenna for this unit aswell? The tuner doesn't lock/receive very well with out the antenna. If you haven't got one plugged it.. this may be your problem.

Derek

• 08-17-2007 9:58 AM In reply to

Yes, I inherited the antenna and all the manuals and cables.  The antenna is plugged in.

thank you, 

Kelly Joe

• 08-17-2007 12:39 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Hi Kelly Joe and welcome to BeoworldSmile

There was another thread about this some time ago but I cannot find it - I'm fairly sure the outcome was a replaced tuner though. Our resident expert on these machines is member & technical advisor joeyboygolf (Graham) who I'm sure will be along shortly to offer some sound advice. (no pun intendedHuh?)

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-17-2007 3:04 PM In reply to

Never seen this problem before so difficult for me to be of much assistance.

Are you sure that you have an FM aerial plugged into the co-ax socket? What type of aerial are you using?The 9000 series have two aerial inputs, one AM and one FM.

Your problem sounds very much like it's aerial related.

Regards Graham

• 08-18-2007 1:23 PM In reply to

Hi, what do you mean with 'sounds like it scans the entire fm scale' ??
    If basically you don't receive any fm station at all whatever way try the MW /LW to start with...
    Also check the coaxial connection: a known weak part and it should have a little pin in the middle which sometimes breaks (resulting in no 'contact' with the aerial cable.
  • 08-20-2007 4:26 PM In reply to

What I mean by scan is like this.  It is sounds like when you quickly turn the tuning knob on an analog tuner.  You just skim over the stations and you can hear them as you go by their place on the dial.  I did try the MW/LW or AM side hear in the US.  All I had was static and I did have the B&O AM antenna plugged in.  By the way does anyone know where I can source the large plastic ring and gasket that goes around the woofer on a S-120 Beovox speaker. 

Kelly Joe 
  • 08-26-2007 7:03 PM In reply to

Does anyone have any other ideas before I send it to the repair shop?  Also my thanks to the fellow forum member who helped locate the retaining ring for my S-120's.

Kelly Joe

• 09-06-2007 4:41 PM In reply to

The tuning is carried out by the computer,which scans through the band locking onto stations depending on signal strength and frequency feedback from th tuner module.From your discription,it seems that no feedback is reaching the computer,although it's obviously tuning!

I suspect a small processing chip has failed,I've come across this before.A service engineer with B&O experience,should be familiar with this,and sort it out at reasonable cost

• 09-12-2007 9:37 AM In reply to

You are exactly correct.  It turned out to be microprocessor chip.  I sent it in to a service center and that is what was reported back.  Thank you for all the help.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)