in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-06-2010 9:29 PM by auclutch. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-17-2007 6:39 PM

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Problem with my Beosound 9000 CD changer

Hi There
    Would anyone be able to suggest what the fault with my BS9000 CD changer may be please?  Symptoms are that when I press "Go" to play the CD in position "1" the disc will spin up,stop, spin again, but always stop, and then the  display will read "pause". Repeated pressing of "Go" will get the disc to start playing, but after the first track finishes the player will move on to CD2 and start playing that. It will then play that CD and 3 to 6 normally if required. However if the first track on CD1 is longer than normal (like a Pink Floyd album) it will move on to track 2 and play it correctly. Also if I opt to play any of the CDs 2 to 6 these will start up and play normally, but on returning to CD1 the fault is still there. It would appear to be a problem with the player "reading" the CD but it happens with any CD loaded in that position (1). This has me baffled, any suggestions please? For information the player is horizontal on a table top stand and the "arrows" on the back of the player are set correctly.

Dom
  • 04-18-2007 2:03 AM In reply to

Re: Problem with my Beosound 9000 CD changer

Very strange! Makes be think that it must be an alignment issue with CD1 but if that was the case I don't understand how it plays at all. If the behaviour is reproducible on a regular basis, I think it needs to be seen by B&O. I have not come across that one before but will ask around!
  • 04-18-2007 4:40 AM In reply to

it does sound strange to be just on cd1, i would have thought it would be on either all 6 or none,

as daft as it sounds try pushing apart the 2 cd holders (half moon discs) a good few times as if you were loading a new cd ,incase dust has tightened them,

its a long shot, but a free 10min fix if it works

good luck jay

jason

• 04-18-2007 4:51 AM In reply to

We have had similar problems with our BS9000 when it was purchased, it had difficulty reading discs and would spin up for a while and then stop and display pause. I also had to repeat pressing "Go" to get it to work. It now seems to be working fine. I think the problem is most likely to be dust accumulating where the cd reading laser is. When we bought ours it came to us absolutely filthy as we were given ex-demo instead of the promised brand new boxed BS9000. However now that it has been used a while it seems to be ok.We have also had simialr problems with our overture failing to read cds but after cleaning it works with no problems.

Some suggestions, assuming that dust is the problem:

Try changing cd from position 1 to 6 a few times and see if this helps - the changer moves so fast it may help remove dust.

Just generally clean the area where the cds are held with a slightly damp cloth with all water squeezed out from it.

Try either blowing around the reader area with your mouth (you could buy a can of compressed air however, they usually spray some liquid aswell from short distances so be careful if you try this. 

Good luck!!Smile

Jay's suggestion also sounds good, I will try that if it happens again.

Good idea Jay Cool  Yes

• 04-18-2007 4:58 AM In reply to

Does it happen with any cd that you put in position 1 or just certain ones. I had this fault once but it was the cd (not original but copy) that was at fault.

Regards Graham

• 04-18-2007 5:09 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

May sound daft but have you tried unplugging it from the mains? 99% of behavioural issues can be solved by unplugging from the mains for a while (as my parents would testify)...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-18-2007 6:04 AM In reply to

Killyp:
    May sound daft but have you tried unplugging it from the mains? 99% of behavioural issues can be solved by unplugging from the mains for a while (as my parents would testify)...

Laughing As a parent myself I completely agreeLaughing

Regards Graham

• 04-18-2007 6:23 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Glasgow
    • Posts 13
    • Bronze Member

Hi Dom,

I had the same problem a while ago but I can't remember if it affected all CDs or just CD1.

Just give the thing a good clean solved the problem - especially the sensors next to CD1 and CD6 (not the ones for the door - the ones in the CD "channel"). I think that although both ends look the same, only one of them has an actual sensor but I can't remember which is which.

Michael

• 04-18-2007 8:33 AM In reply to

I've experienced precisely the same problem.  I did all the things suggested by the other respondants, i.e. clean the discs, clean the sensors, power off/on and it did the trick.  Unfortunately I couldn't identify which specific action remedied the situation.

In response to some of the questions raised in other responses - in my situation, the problem was connected with all CDs including those which played normally at stations 2-6.

AP
  • 04-18-2007 6:09 PM In reply to

Turn the lights off in the room.

I thinks its light shining on the sensors.

If it works fine in the dark then you know thats it that.

Regards Brett
  • 04-18-2007 7:54 PM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions, looking behind the CDs there is a fair amount of dust so I am going to carefully clean it out (its a preowned machine that was in a showroom as part of a sales display). However special thanks to Jay because his suggestion of moving the half-moon shaped CD clamps seems to have done the trick, the lower one seemed free but the upper clamp felt like it was binding so I moved it up and down several times, further than simply loading a CD would do, and now the No1 CD starts and plays through normally. Many thanks to all of you.
    Dom.
  • 04-20-2007 2:52 PM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Just as a follow-up, thinking about it, the movement of the CD clamps must be part of the Cd reading process - if the clamps don't release properly then the player will not "see" a CD in that position, and so will move on to the next disc to play?

Dom 
  • 04-20-2007 3:12 PM In reply to

Cool

great news

jay

jason

• 05-18-2007 5:12 AM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

I spoke too soon saying that cleaning it had cured the problem - now it hesitating and going to "pause" on several CD positions :-(
    I can only think that some component (the laser?) is failing and not reading the disc. Have I read somewhere that early CD mechanisms were not reliable and now they are being replaced with a "mark 3" type? (think I saw a Beosound 9000 advertised on e-bay as "fully serviced and CD laser replaced). I will have to bite the bullet and disconnect it all [!] and take it to my local B & O agent for diagnosing and service (wallet starts to cry). Open to any comments please.

Dom
  • 05-18-2007 7:44 AM In reply to

has it been working fine for the last month, and just started playing up?

how often is it happening?

do you smoke?

does it happen on brand new cds as well as old faithfuls?

once a cd is playing does it play ok or jump as well?

what is the type number? (located behind the control panel)

jay

jason

• 05-18-2007 8:50 AM In reply to

Jay, 

Just wondering why you have questioned whether he smokes, because B&O do rigourous testing on the effects of smoke on their products so i would not have thought that would affect it in any way. 

TG
  • 05-18-2007 8:53 AM In reply to

tgibbs:
    Jay, 

Just wondering why you have questioned whether he smokes, because B&O do rigourous testing on the effects of smoke on their products so i would not have thought that would affect it in any way. 

TG

Drinks Great!!!! I was realy worried about it. Cool 

Rafa
  • 05-18-2007 10:44 AM In reply to

tgibbs:
    Jay, 

TG

i had a problem with my avant dvd mech a while back and was told by my engineer hed seen it before and it may be tobacco smoke, its been fine since i cleaned it and quit smoking a few months ago

i cleaned my house top to bottom to help me get through the cravings, i must admit i havnt heard of b+os rigourous testing on the affects of smoke, but when you see the oily film built up over time you would probably understand why i asked.

they say ex-smokers are the worst, im proud to say after 40 a day for 20 years i am that worstLaughing

if you dont quit for your kids, do it for your b+oWink

jay

jason

• 05-18-2007 11:39 AM In reply to

beofan:
    I spoke too soon saying that cleaning it had cured the problem - now it hesitating and going to "pause" on several CD positions :-(
    I can only think that some component (the laser?) is failing and not reading the disc. Have I read somewhere that early CD mechanisms were not reliable and now they are being replaced with a "mark 3" type? (think I saw a Beosound 9000 advertised on e-bay as "fully serviced and CD laser replaced). I will have to bite the bullet and disconnect it all [!] and take it to my local B & O agent for diagnosing and service (wallet starts to cry). Open to any comments please.

Dom

You can test the cd mech by entering a service code which are all available in the service manual which is in the reference section of the site. (available to Gold or silver members only)

I had a 9000 with the same symptoms as you describe recently and it was the laser that needed cleaning. Cleaned it, recalibrated and it worked perfectly.

Regards Graham

• 05-18-2007 1:30 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

In Struer we watched them load a machine with 120 fags which were lit and then sucked into a test chamber where various items were exposed to the fumes!
    I can spot the difference in a Beo4 which is from a smoking environment and one that isn't.
    I often buy knackered Beo4s from eBay and find that cleaning the *** reek from the dome foil inside is enough to restore them to working order.
    I am a smoker but NEVER smoke in my hoose, I like my decoration and my B&O too much.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-18-2007 3:56 PM In reply to

i was going to ask how they test the effects, although id have thought it varys on a few other factors ,room ventilation, filtered/non filtered, brand etc and the combination of dust , kitchen fat, smog etc over years of exposure.

as we speak im currently reconditioning a few pairs of cx speakers, its taking more work to remove the tabacco from the outer cases than it did to refoam them

jay

jason

• 05-18-2007 4:22 PM In reply to

Jay, Here is an overview of what testing is conducted at Bang & Olufsen. 

> http://www.beoworld.org/article_view.asp?id=61

I'm sure you will agree that B&O test their products very brutally which makes their products of an even higher quality. 

TG
  • 05-18-2007 5:29 PM In reply to

i read your link which does refer to sealed tv tubes, not open glass doors or cd/dvd mechs/lasers, i dont know for sure if tobacco smoke is or has ever been the cause of the beosound 9000 fault, but it stands to reason if dust can cause the beosound 9000s to play up then sticky tabocco smoke combined with dust must be worse

but seen as you mentioned it,the front of a beovision screen may be air tight but the back of a tv isnt sealed , it like all electrical goods need ventilation, circuit boards ,mechanisms, etc , so its inevitable there will be a build up over time.

jay

jason

• 05-18-2007 6:54 PM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Thanks to everyone for their comments but beodude is right, it was dust buildup - bought an "IXOS DVD/CD Lens Cleaner" this pm and ran it in the Beosound 9000 for 30 seconds and now (fingers crossed) it is playing all CD positions A Ok, [cheapest repair I could wish for]. I did vacuum the face of the player with a [special] soft brush a couple of weeks ago which seemed to improve things briefly- but what that must have done was redistribute the dust inside the machine, it then resettled on the laser-reader lens and the problem reoccured. Anyway its working fine now, must vacuum more often [lol]- and put a cover over the BS9000 while I'm doing it? Thanks again everyone.
    Dom
  • 05-21-2007 5:07 AM In reply to

• archie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Paris
    • Posts 497
    • Bronze Member

i have the same problem with some burning CD, CD's who was OK few month ago....

The manual say than cleaning CD are not OK for  BS 9000, How cleaning CD' work ?

thank you 

DU BEAU, DU BON, DU BO.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >