in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-06-2010 9:29 PM by auclutch. 28 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-22-2007 4:31 AM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Re: Problem with my Beosound 9000 CD changer

The IXOS cleaning CD is shaped like an ordinary CD except that it has 6 tiny clumps of cleaning fibres 3/4 of the way in to the centre of the disc, evenly spaced around the centre. Instructions are to operate the the machine to be cleaned on "play" for 15 seconds then remove the cleaning disc, touching the metal centre area as you do (to disperse static buildup?). I did not know that the manual advises against using cleaning discs, but since the machine was becoming unuseable and I would have had to pay for servicing it anyway it has paid off - no damage and the player works perfectly (at the moment, lol).

Dom
  • 05-22-2007 5:44 AM In reply to

• beofan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Wales
    • Posts 36
    • Bronze Member

Oops! You're quite right, manual does say cleaning CDs not recommended. However two thoughts occur, first IXOS couldn't market a product that wrecked CD players, and second maybe B & O just want to make sure they get all the service work, even if that is just wiping off some dust.

Dom
  • 10-25-2007 10:44 AM In reply to

Bought my Beosound 9000/ Beolab 8000 combo in 2004. Has been marvellous until a few weeks ago when it would not play CDs in any of the 6 positions. The CD mechanism would speed quickly to whichever disc was selected, the disc clamps would spring open but the disc wouldn't spin. Took onboard all the advice in this forum, ie. cleaned sensors, moved apart the disc clamps on all six holders, disconnected from the mains, etc. As reported by other posters I was also able to (eventually) get it working by constantly pressing GO when the PAUSE lit up on the display. Once working, all the discs would play in whatever order you wanted and the sound was as good as always. Whilst it was working I tried a CD cleaning disc but whenever it was switched off the problem raised it's head the next time I went to use it.

Eventually, I succumbed to visiting my local dealer, B&O, Bournemouth. They contacted their engineer and when I spoke to him he confirmed it was a well known problem with the 9000 series. The remedy was a new laser mechanism which he carried in stock and arranged an appointment for the following week. He came to the house and within 20 miutes had removed the old and fitted the new one and now I can have music whenever I want, again.

The cost was £211.50 inc. vat and fitting. I was expecting it to be a lot more than this so was pleased on that score but disappointed that it had only lasted 3 years as my old B&O 5000 system lasted 18 years.

Anyway, if there is a moral to this tale then it must be that at some stage in the process one has to accept that cleaning etc. will not always solve the problem (although for those that have been successful I envy you) and that a new mechanism is the only way to go.

• 08-06-2010 9:29 PM In reply to

I've had my beosound 9000 for 7 years now and I had the same problem for the past 2 years.  i've been reluctant to have the lens replaced (which is what B&O diagnosed the problem as).  they were charging USD 970 for the repair and it just wasn't worth it given the amount that we were using the bs9000.  

thanks to this article, I cleaned the top and bottom sensors (below and above disc 1 and disc 6) and voila.   problem solved.  Thanks.  lets hope it stays this way~~~

btw, just bought a BS 4 and love it~~~

BS1 x 2, BS 3, BS4, BS2000 x 3, BS2300, BS4000, BS9000, BL4, BL 4000 x 2, BL8000 x 2, BL2500 x 2, BL2000, Beocom 2, Beocom 6000 x 4, Beocom 1401 x 4, Beocom 1600 x 2, Beocom 2500 x 4, Beotalk 1200, A9 Keyring, Beo4 x 8, Beotime, Bottle Opener

2011 Wish List: BL3500, BL6000, BL5, BL9, active link, BS5, Beo5

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2