in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-08-2007 12:33 PM by Foghamshire. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-30-2007 9:55 AM

Beosat help required.

Hi Beopeeps

I have had a look at the downloads available and haven't found much to help I am afraid.

I am a proud owner of an Out Door Unit 90 (ODU90) and would like to plumb it into my B&O system.  I know that the early stuff is only suitable to analogue and the later digital stuff is not that user friendly and not at all compatible with my MX7000... BUT

I have no illusions of using the SAT functions on my Beo4 remote, I was intending connecting the dish/motor/polariser to my Echostar 7000 and use the output from that to feed my tvs in the house.  I currently have my Murdoch box in the attic relying on the RF output inline with the analogue signals feeding the TVs.  The downside of losing stereo broadcasts for satellite means I can keep all of the junk from under my tele so I have the slimline look of an MX7000 tv on rotating stand with Beocord 7000 compatible video. So it looks like it should from the B&O brochures.  How do the rest of you cope with spagettti hell?  I stripped all this out as by the time I added a freeview box with hard disc and a dvd writer with freeview it looked a right f***ing mess.  Grannies knitting sprang to mind.  If anyone has any bright ideas so I can get stereo back I'd be pleased to hear.  (any chance of using one of my MX4000s upstairs with a direct scart connection and then using the audio from that TV as the main audio feed using my Beolink stuff?)  Despite the loss of stereo on Sky I am happy to give up this convenience to clear the clutter from under my TV.

Sorry back to the point... I will put the Echostar alongside my other kit and pick an RF channel not used (I am running out!) and beam my pictures from loft down the aerial cables in mono.  I use some descretely placed 'all for one' remote control extenders to turn the channels over.  My Beosat ODU90 came with all the kit (gawd bless ebay) five core cables etc what I would like help on is the re-use of the existing wires rather than take everything to pieces and to replace them with new.  I assuem this wire has the requisite connections for motor etc can anyone translate the wire colours for me so I can connect up my echostar?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

• 07-30-2007 11:35 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: Beosat help required.

Gary, can't help you with your problem. Although I do have a Beosat cable if you need it. From memory it is a Scart cable to two Datalink Plugs. Not sure where it goes or how to connect it. It came with a load of MCL gear I got some years back.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-30-2007 1:07 PM In reply to

Hello Gary,

The wiring connections are listed in the installation manual and the manual is available for download.

Perhaps you can explain exactly what you are looking for ?

Regards Keith....

• 07-30-2007 1:23 PM In reply to

• BeoIce
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Recklinghausen, Germany
    • Posts 281
    • Founder

I have lots of manuals regarding BeoSAT and ODU90. If you require some special information, perhaps I can find it in the manuals.

Martin

BeoSound 9000 MK III, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 11, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoVision MX4000/MX7000 & BeoCom 4

Samsung UE40B7090, Samsung HT-WS1G, Technisat HD8-S, Sony PS3, Logitech PS3 IR-BT-Adapter & Lintronic TT455-RT-238

• 07-30-2007 1:49 PM In reply to

Keith/Martin

First of all can I thank you for your prompt response and apologise for not being clear in my original posting.

I want to use an ODU90 with wiring etc and connect it to my Echostar 7000, the wiring looks a bit of a nightmare. I think there is a six (not five as I have suggested) core cable.  What I would like to do is to use the existing wires to get to the back of my echostar and then make the following connections:

• +polorotor
    • -polorotor
    • +motor
    • -motor
    • Pulse feedback sensor
    • +5V connection to polorotor
    • Ground
    • Skew Adjustment

I expect the same connections will need to be made to the ODU90 as are available at the back of the echostar so I need to know....

- which colour wire does what?

Thanks again

Gary

PS a copy of the installation manual might also be useful!! Wink

• 07-30-2007 5:33 PM In reply to

From memory,the motor B&O used with the ODU90 was rather special,and may not work with the Echostar receiver.I'll go down to the vaults and check.

As to getting rid of clutter,why not hide all the periferal kit away somewhere and connect it to the tv via a Cat5 routing system.This will provide best quality picture and stereo sound,plus remote control! Maplin do something suitable.

Nick

• 07-31-2007 3:05 AM In reply to

Nick,

The Cat5 Hub sounds just the solution I have been looking for I assume you mean the milestone thingy from Maplins..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=47419&doy=31m7

How is this set up? Perhaps I ought to start a new thread.

Cheers

Gary

• 07-31-2007 1:52 PM In reply to

Indeed,a useful piece of kit.I think it's made by an outfit called Blue Delta Design.You can probably get more info direct from them,although maplins own techie folk are pretty helpful too.

As to your satellite tv problem,I think the ODU90 motor is a "tacho" feedback type,and may not function with your Echostar?

I remember that the B&O motorised system was rather temperamental,and it was essential to use their special downlead.So it probably won't be happy with the standard Echostar cable!

I'll see what else I can come up with

Regards,

Nick

• 07-31-2007 7:21 PM In reply to

here is the connections of on the sat

Satellite antenna

75 ohms, parabol dish ofr cable system, Power supply LNB
    18 V 300 mA, 14/18V or tone switch on coax

Outdoor control, 6 pin
    Pin1LNB select Low/High
    V out 12V / 100mA
    R out 26 ohms
    Pin3Gnd
    Pin5Polarizer
    Current range -50 mA +100 mA
    Relay mode
    12V/max. 100 mA
    Pin6Dish select
    Actuator control, 5-pin (with positioner module)
    Pin1Grid
    Pin2Motor+
    Pin3Motor-
    V out 30 V I out 1A
    I max. 2A
    Short circuit current 3.1 A
    Pin4Feedback DC
    V in 0-5.0V
    Input impedance 10kohms

Feedback tacho
    H level > 2.5 V
    L level < 1.0 V
    Input impedance 10 kohms
    Pin5Supply 5V/30mA ref.
    Decoder Video, 8-pin
    Pin1Composite cideo in (75 ohms)
    Pin2Gnd in
    Pin3Gnd out
    Pin4Composite video in 1 ( 75 ohms)
    Pin5Baseband out 2 (75 ohms)
    Pin6Baseband out 1 (75 ohms)
    Pin7Composite video out (75 ohms
    Decoder Audio, 8 pin
    Pin1Audio L in > 50 kohms
    Pin2Gnd
    Pin3Audio L out < 1 kohms
    Pin4Audio R in > 50 kohms
    Pin5Audio R out < 1 kohm
    Pin6Acces to service mode when connected to ground
    Pin7Future use
    Pin8Not used
  • 08-08-2007 12:33 PM In reply to

STIG

Thanks a lot

Trying to tie up the info in your mail to the requisite connections on my Echostar I have found out the following about my box...

Echostar Satellite Receiver Spec

Frequency range 950MHz to 2150MHz

Input impedance 75 Ohm

Signal level -25 to -65dBm

IF frequency 480MHz

IF bandwidth 36MHz

Variety of LNB polarity control; 13/18V, 0/22kHz tone, 0/12V,

LNB power & polarization

Vertical +13.5V - +14.5V

Horizontal +17.5V - +18.5V

22kHz tone Frequency 22kHz 2kHz

Amplitude 0.6Vp-p 0.2Vp-p

0/12 Volt Polarity switch

Azimuth & Skew control

6 Push terminal

(M1, M2, M.Pulse, +5V, GND, Skew)

Output power 36VDC, 5A max. (during 5 minutes) (SMPS)

Sensor type Reed or Hall effect switch

Ferrite control 2 Push terminal(+,-)

It appears that with the choice of LNB switching etc many of the connections I can fathom but I am not sure whether the Triax/B&O feedback tacho is compatible with the Reed or Hall effect switching - this remains a puzzle.

What do you think to my proposed connection sequence..

OUTDOOR CONTROL

Pin 3 B&O to GND Echostar

Pin 5 B&O to SKEW Echostar

ACTUATOR CONTROL

Pin1 B&O to GND Echostar

Pin 2 to M1 Echostar

Pin 3 B&O to M2 Echostar

Pin 4 B&O to MPulse Echostar

Pin 5 B&O to +5V Echostar

Assuming every thing is ok appart from the poloriser I suppose I could dump that in preference for a low threashold Quad band that won't need tuning up

Do you think I am on the right track?  Colours of wires would alos help!!

Your continued support is a blessing

Cheers

Gary

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)