in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-26-2007 10:06 PM by Wings. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-25-2007 2:02 PM

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

4th Wedesday of July

What should we discuss tonight..........??

The best cartoon ever (after the Simpsons of course)??

The future of popular music - we've had Rock 'n' Roll, Brit Pop, Prog Rock, Glam Rock, Punk, New Wave etc. etc. ....... continuing right through Git Rock in the mid '90's (lead by the biggest Gits of them all) and on it goes. The question is - is it over?, have we already heard all that is new and original?, are we now to suffer reguritation of old tunes to new beats?? Is there anything new and different to look forward to??

In the best traditions of elemental Physics, my quest for a new elementary component of matter that will finally explain why my theories never quite pan out. Maybe a newly discovered Punchino will finally balance my calculations.

Finally, now that I'm of an age and size whereby I'm actively having to consider starting to think about planning to take exercise [:'(] I have to ask - if exercise in general and swimming especially are meant to be good for me - Why are Whales so fat???

I'll let you choose.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-25-2007 2:20 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: 4th Wedesday of July

Best cartoon after the Simpsons has to be Road Runner. Never buy ACME products I say.Laughing

CraigSmile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-25-2007 2:27 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Oh what a nice new avatar Puncher! I like whiteSmile So much better than the vomiting morello cherry.
    I wonder, does anybody out there weigh their socks?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-25-2007 2:45 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

jandyt:

Oh what a nice new avatar Puncher! I like whiteSmile So much better than the vomiting morello cherry.
    I wonder, does anybody out there weigh their socks?

Andy T.

And its back !! ........... after nearly 40 years. Still inimitable even given the best of digital electronic wizardry. Yours for only ~£5000 LINK

You too can play the opening bars of Strawberry Fields or the middle of Nights in White Satin or a considerable chunk of Genesis or Pink Floyd (assuming you have a modicum of talent)..

(I assume you made the vomitting comparison because of your recent experiences).

I find that sock weighing, in these times of HDTV and Playstations etc., has pretty much died out as a pastime.

• 07-25-2007 2:57 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Craig:

Best cartoon after the Simpsons has to be Road Runner. Never buy ACME products I say.Laughing

CraigSmile 

Crap products........... but what about the delivery service???Surprise Second to none - same day, anywhere!! Top of mountains, middle of the desert ........... no probs. Should have concentrated on freight instead of products ........... DHL??, TNT?? ..... none can compete with ACME.

• 07-25-2007 3:05 PM In reply to

• JC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Yorkshire / UK
    • Posts 621
    • Founder

Sock weighing Erm Is there a certain way, one at a time and add together as a pair? A pair together? Or is this the way to pair all same coloured socks so the weight is distributed evenly to both feet? If it is the latter. Is there a formula for someone with a limp to correct the affliction with different weighted socks?

I feel i might have been missing out on hours of harmless fun here Whistle

Jonnie

• 07-25-2007 3:07 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Now that's where you're wrong.
    About a year ago I purchased some digital kitchen weighing scales for the weighing of B&O items I was selling on eBay.
    As it was a Monday I had clean, dry washing on the worktop waiting to be ironed.
    I unpacked the scales and systematically started weighing everything I could reach. Amongst other things I weighed a sock and noticed it was 20 grammes. Another was 23 grammes and that started me thinking.
    I ran upstairs and brought down a brand new sock.
    It was 28 grammes!!!Surprise

A couple of weeks earlier, I had taken off my shoes in my son's house so as not to dirty them. My son noticed that my socks were looking threadbare and he could see my toenails through them. I had these socks to hand and noticed that each one was 16 grammes.
    Now as I always buy the same socks in the same colour, in true Keith Saunders fashion I pondered long and hard.

Since that day, I have weighed all my socks after they have come off the washing line, and when they reach 16 grammes I thow them avay.
    This way I will never get to the position where a hole appears.
    You'll notice this sock has quite a lot of life in it yet!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-25-2007 3:10 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Not to mention the various types of socks - everything from NylonsEmbarrassed through "normal" socks to "fishing" socks. Hours of innocent fun (you may have to spend this time on your own - unless they're nylons of course, then you may have "internet" friendsErm

• 07-25-2007 3:12 PM In reply to

• JC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Yorkshire / UK
    • Posts 621
    • Founder

jandyt:

Now that's where you're wrong.
    About a year ago I purchased some digital kitchen weighing scales for the weighing of B&O items I was selling on eBay.
    As it was a Monday I had clean, dry washing on the worktop waiting to be ironed.
    I unpacked the scales and systematically started weighing everything I could reach. Amongst other things I weighed a sock and noticed it was 20 grammes. Another was 23 grammes and that started me thinking.
    I ran upstairs and brought down a brand new sock.
    It was 28 grammes!!!Surprise

A couple of weeks earlier, I had taken off my shoes in my son's house so as not to dirty them. My son noticed that my socks were looking threadbare and he could see my toenails through them. I had these socks to hand and noticed that each one was 16 grammes.
    Now as I always buy the same socks in the same colour, in true Keith Saunders fashion I pondered long and hard.

Since that day, I have weighed all my socks after they have come off the washing line, and when they reach 16 grammes I thow them avay.
    This way I will never get to the position where a hole appears.
    You'll notice this sock has quite a lot of life in it yet!

Were these socks wool, cotton or a mixture of fibres? Very important i would imagine.

Jonnie

• 07-25-2007 3:24 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Puncher:

Crap products........... but what about the delivery service???Surprise Second to none - same day, anywhere!! Top of mountains, middle of the desert ........... no probs. Should have concentrated on freight instead of products ........... DHL??, TNT?? ..... none can compete with ACME.

You say crap products but my Parents house has ACME roof tiles. Been on the roof for about 70 years now.

CraigSmile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-25-2007 3:26 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Nice of you to point that out, Jonnie.
    60% wool
    38% polyamide
    2% Elastane Lycra

The added benefit of sock-weighing is also eco-friendly as one doesn't need to throw out a sock which will easily do another two days!
    Doesn't really matter if you end up with an odd number of socks as, the next week, you may have to demote a singular sock!
    I wonder how many penguins I have saved by my ritual sock-weighing?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-25-2007 3:27 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Craig:
    Puncher:

Interesting point Craig.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-25-2007 3:29 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Now edited. Got a bit carried away.

CraigSmile 

• 07-25-2007 3:58 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Craig, you have PM

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-25-2007 4:59 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Can't read the truck - what does it say?????

• 07-25-2007 5:31 PM In reply to

• JC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Yorkshire / UK
    • Posts 621
    • Founder

jandyt:

60% wool
    38% polyamide
    2% Elastane Lycra

The added benefit of sock-weighing is also eco-friendly as one doesn't need to throw out a sock which will easily do another two days!
    Doesn't really matter if you end up with an odd number of socks as, the next week, you may have to demote a singular sock!

Andy T.

PenguinsConfused Do you send them the worn out ones to stop them getting cold Confused

Jonnie

• 07-25-2007 6:11 PM In reply to

Dear All:

The Looney Tunes (old) and the new are not bad; specially, Pinky and the Brain.  

Music will continue to evolve by taking from the old (the good stuff) and re-interpreting.  As Picasso said, good artist borrow, great artist steal.  

Dario

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 07-25-2007 6:16 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Puncher:

It says "SOCKS FOR AFRICA"

When they get less than the required weight, they are donated to charity and shipped en-masse by a collective of sock-weighers to less than fortunate countries where sock weight can be acceptably less due to the increased climate.

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-25-2007 6:27 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Puncher:

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-25-2007 6:33 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

JC:
    jandyt:

60% wool
    38% polyamide
    2% Elastane Lycra

Andy T.

PenguinsConfused Do you send them the worn out ones to stop them getting cold Confused

Jonnie

By not throwing out both socks together, I am therefore buying less socks and saving transport which is wrecking the atmosphere,thereby enlarging the hole in the ozone layer which is ultimately melting the polar icecaps and the friggin' penguins have nowhere to walk.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-25-2007 6:40 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

We could plug up the hole in the ozone layer with socks?

As for the Penguins, i'm sure they would welcome a bit of warmer weather.  I see them huddled together in the snow storms, and not one of them looks to be having a good time!

Hmm

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-25-2007 6:49 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I think the reason they huddle together is because of the lack of ice to walk on because of all you peopole out there who don't weigh their socks properly!
    No wonder they don't look happy.

Andy T.

BTW  Like an obsessed Beophile, I bought a Beomaster 1700, Beocord 1700 and a pair of vox S30s today for £16 plus P+P
    I think I'm turning into a museum!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-25-2007 7:08 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I like Tom & Jerry (sans socks)Erm

• 07-25-2007 9:23 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Puncher:

Finally, now that I'm of an age and size whereby I'm actively having to consider starting to think about planning to take exercise [:'(] I have to ask - if exercise in general and swimming in particular are meant to be good for me - Why are Whales so fat???

Big Smile Laughing Smile 

1.  Whales aren't fat; they're just solidly and muscularly built.

2.  Alternatively, if whales are fat, you're not a whale.

3.  Simpsons, Pinky & the Brain [in particular, its parody of Star Wars, The Third Man, The Island of Dr. Moreau, ABBA and Bill Clinton, and all the Pinky questions], Bugs Bunny [in particular, its parody of Barber of Seville -- remember Elmer Fudd's face when he thought he was growing hair only to discover it was grass?]

Stick out tongue Wink

• 07-25-2007 9:33 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Puncher:

Not sure if the products suffered from poor quality or abuse/misuse by Wiley Coyote.  Stick out tongue Wink

Agree with you concerning ACME's near instantaneous delivery service to even the most remote and desolate areas.  Have you noticed that Wiley Coyote NEVER filed a damage claim?

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >