in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-23-2007 1:10 PM by Dillen. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-25-2007 8:52 AM

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 07-25-2007
    • London
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

General advice sought...

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased a BeoCenter2400-2, with BeoGram 2400, a pair of S50 speakers, all housed in a lovely MC40 Cabinet. As it was an ebay purchase, and therefore sold as seen, there are a few minor niggles that I would like to ask some advice on. I have had a few different B&o systems in the past, all with their quirks, but would like to restore this one to it's former glory.

1. The right hand side of the volume display is not visible, as well as the displays for bass/treble etc - are these just blown bulbs, and if so, what are the recommended replacements?

2. One of the bass speaker cones is worn through, and although it plays OK, would be good to get a replacement- any ideas where you can get replacements?

3. I would like to ideally plug a seperate CD player, and also a lead for an ipod or digital radio into the 'Tape' input. Would ideally like a B&o CD player, but may have to wait for a while to find the right one- any suggestions? Also, is it possible to use some kind of plug that could go into the DIN socket, and give two (or more) RCA inputs for use?

Any comments, suggestions or advice gladly received,

Jeff

Filed under: ,
  • 07-25-2007 9:44 AM In reply to

Re: General advice sought...

Wiggster:

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased a BeoCenter2400-2, with BeoGram 2400, a pair of S50 speakers, all housed in a lovely MC40 Cabinet. As it was an ebay purchase, and therefore sold as seen, there are a few minor niggles that I would like to ask some advice on. I have had a few different B&o systems in the past, all with their quirks, but would like to restore this one to it's former glory.

1. The right hand side of the volume display is not visible, as well as the displays for bass/treble etc - are these just blown bulbs, and if so, what are the recommended replacements?

2. One of the bass speaker cones is worn through, and although it plays OK, would be good to get a replacement- any ideas where you can get replacements?

3. I would like to ideally plug a seperate CD player, and also a lead for an ipod or digital radio into the 'Tape' input. Would ideally like a B&o CD player, but may have to wait for a while to find the right one- any suggestions? Also, is it possible to use some kind of plug that could go into the DIN socket, and give two (or more) RCA inputs for use?

Any comments, suggestions or advice gladly received,

Jeff

1. It is just a bulb - the 2400 is quite difficult to open up - actually it is easy to open up, more difficult to put back together! The service manual is on site and i am sure Martin can advise re bulbs. Whilst apart, it is worth replacing the red capacitors. Again Martin has a kit for this.

2. I would get the drive units repaired - Recone Lab in Huddersfield are excellent. If you want new units, Wilmslow Audio do a good range of Peerless drivers. I would however recommend repair as the better of the two options. Again replace the capacitors in the cross over.

3. There is a lead for exactly the purpose you want! It switches between Tape and CD - it is called, originally, a CD Tape adapter. I am afraid the listing on site says nothing! I did have one and it works fine. I seem to remember that it has a din plug and then a din socket and a pair of RCA sockests. It uits the Beogram CDX very well. A CD3500 would match the 2400 even better though.

Welcome to Beoworld

• 07-25-2007 9:45 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Hi Jeff & welcome to BeoworldSmile

1. The bulbs have probably blown and member Dillen (Martin one of our esteemed technical advisors) can more than probably supply you with replacements. I'm sure he'll be along shortly with more detailed advice.

2. Best bet would be to refoam both woofers (the other one is probably also shot - if it is tacky then this is the case). Kits can be bought and it isn't too difficult to do if you have good basic DIY skills. If you need advice/help I can assist you here. Reconelab in Huddersfield can do the work, they are quite expensive but very good and highly recommended.

3. My personal recommendation for a B&O CD player would be a CDX which has phono outputs so will require a phono/DIN converter lead - available at any decent suppliers such as Maplins in the UK. Ipod connector leads are available from Lee at LifestyleAV. As for a way of connecting more than one item to the tape input I believe you would be best served using a CD/tape adaptor - not sure where you'd get one though but they do turn up now and again.

Chris.

EDIT :- Great minds and all that PeterLaughingLaughing

just beat me.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-25-2007 9:51 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Hi Jeff, Peter was correct in that the CD/tape adaptor does have a DIN connection and RCA inputs.

CraigSmile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-25-2007 9:55 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Never knew about the RCA/phono inputs Craig, do you have one?

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-25-2007 10:23 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Wiggster,

Welcome to Beoworld, nice system !

As already suggested, for the Beomaster 2400 (& -2) kits are available for recap'ing and for the panel lamps.

The cap kit is quite comprehensive, containing about 60 components. The lamp kit contains a full set of new bulbs of correct wattage. Both kits come with instructions.

The Beovox S50 speakers only have a couple of caps each but a kit is available for convienience.

PM me for details.

Martin

• 07-26-2007 4:08 AM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 07-25-2007
    • London
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like the jobs aren't too daunting after all!

Have checked for refoaming, and will certainly try my hand at a kit first before shipping the slightly weighty speakers off to be repaired. I have a perfectly good set of JBL's that I can use until then, as I don't want to cause more problems.

Just seen a CD3500 on ebay, and have put a tentative bid in- am a bit wary of old cd players though- are the lasers liable to deteriorate or break after a certain period of time?

Also, more questions come before the weekend- I am going to give the whole thing a thorough clean, after the usual warm lighly soapy water treatment, is there anything you would recommend for cleaning up the aluminum?

Thanks again, and am looking forward to cultivating a healthy obsession with this system!

Cheers

Jeff

• 07-26-2007 6:07 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I wouldn't worry too much about the laser on the CD3500. To all intents and purposes it is identical to the CD4500 but can be bought much cheaper due to the matt grey finish as opposed to polished aluminium panels - I have never heard of one of these going wrong. As it is a later generation to the CDX then I wouldn't envisage any problem for quite some time.

For cleaning your brushed aluminium panel I wouldn't use anything more aggressive than Isopropyl alcohol. Don't be tempted to use methylated spirits as this will affect the perspex panels if you encroach onto them, nor any abrasive metal cleaners such as brasso etc.... Soapy water will probably do the job well enough any way Smile

Chris.

• 07-26-2007 8:38 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Medogsfat:

Never knew about the RCA/phono inputs Craig, do you have one?

Chris.

Yes Chris I do have one. Due to the fact that my BS3000 only has 1 Aux connection and I need 2. So I have the Cable from my PC connected to the DIN and the Preamp of my Turntable connected to the Phono connections. Saying that though I ordered a Beoport from my dealer yesterday. So it I might not need it much longer.

CraigSmile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 12-23-2007 4:04 AM In reply to

• BeoMatt
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-13-2007
    • Norwich
    • Posts 51
    • Bronze Member

Hi Jeff, I also have a pair of S50's and a 2400 2 I purchased some replacement foam from http://www.freewebs.com/good_hifi/ quick delivery and very easy to repair I used some plastic glue from local diy store. They sound ok now they have been restored but a bit flat, even my S30's sound more dynamic, and they only cost a fiver from a car boot sale. Your 2400 display is due to failed lamps, solder some clear LED's they work well. Leads are all available on eBay from a few quid some better than others. Beomatt
  • 12-23-2007 1:10 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I'm afraid that mounting LED's won't work.
    Neither the discriminator lights nor the volume control will work correctly since these circuits are depending on the lamps wattage.
    The Beomaster may also suffer from a problem going into standby for the same reason (wrong 15V load).
    A lamp kit containing correct lamps are available.

Foam surrounds  (spiders etc.) are glued using nothing but speaker cement, a glue specifically made for this, incredibly strong and still flexible. Plastic glue hardens completely , it won't be flexible and will eventually crack, I won't recommend this.

Speakers with new surrounds will always sound a bit "dead" the first 10-50 hours or so, just like factory new speakers they will have to be "worked in" before losening up.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)