in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-06-2011 6:27 AM by camper. 36 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-08-2007 11:09 AM In reply to

Re: Beocom 6000 - European compatibility issues?

meandmyshadow,

You are mis-understanding my statement, Phil and I are talking about the PSTN (Public switch telephone network) or to you and me the local phone exchange, not the B&O base or handset.

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 05-08-2007 11:33 AM In reply to

Sorry, yes I did in that case but perhaps you also misunderstood the advice I was trying to give.  If the local exchange has changed it's software protocols, older versions of the B&O PSTN base may require a SW update to talk to the updated exchange correctly.
  • 05-08-2007 1:25 PM In reply to

• PAJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 49
    • Founder

Hi Meandmyshadow,

I have now tried the connection with three different basestations.  A very old triangular base, a slightly more recent triangular base (but still MKI) and as of yesterday, a more modern black plastic BeoLine base.  Eachl have different software revisions but all show exactly the same problem.  For this reason I think that it is unlikely that it's a software problem.  Obviously it's always a good idea to be on the latest SW revision although it's not always convenient to do the "dealer visit".  I live 120 KM from the nearest dealer and invariably it means leaving equipment with them and making another roundtrip two weeks later! 

--Phil

• 05-12-2007 3:36 AM In reply to

• PAJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 49
    • Founder

Keith, I made several tests yesterday at two different friends houses.... here are the results.
    House A:
    With 6000 base
    Voltage at rest -54.5V 
    DC Dialtone -8.5V DC and remains steady 

Same test but with a Siemens DECT Phone
    Voltage at rest -54.5V 
    DC Dialtone -13V DC and remains steady 

House B: 
    With 6000 base 
    Voltage at rest -54.5V DC 
    Dialtone -8V DC and remains steady 

Same test but with a France Telecom "badged" DECT Phone 
    Voltage at rest -54.5V DC 
    Dialtone -18V DC and remains steady 

In both cases the 6000 performed perfectly. The signal fails at ~ -7V DC so perhaps both were fairly close to failure but the voltage did not degrade. Both of these houses are much further away from the exchange than my house is. I have called France Telecom and I am now waiting for a technician to visit. 

I will keep you updated on progress.

--Phil

• 05-13-2007 3:13 AM In reply to

• PAJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 49
    • Founder

Keith,  the engineer arrived and confirmed the voltage drop.  We then went together to the exchange (with the beocom) and tested the circuit in the exchange..... exactly the same!  In the engineers words this confirms that the "wiring" is in perfect working order.  The exchange was split into two sections... the first a huge rack of end terminations and the second a locked room (behind a cage wall))  containing the rack mounts of cards and the batteries.  In France the transport part of the service is subcontracted and the technician was one of these sub-contractors.  The responsibility for the "techy" stuff is with France Telecom and so he has to write a report so that a more highly qualified engineer can come and enter the inner sanctum.  Another 7 days I fear!

--Phil

• 05-13-2007 5:20 AM In reply to

Very good Phil,

We now know for sure that the problem is with the line driver in the France Telecom Exchange which we had both really thought was the case from the begining. So we must both wait another 7 days for this more senior engineer hopefully to change the line driver.

What your tests also show is that whilst the fault is at the exchange, the BeoCom 6000 does draw more line current than most other makes of phone because even with the faulty exchange line driver, the voltage drop is greater with the Beocom 6000, this is basic Ohms law in a DC circuit which is Volts = current x Line resistance where line resistance is normally constant..

Looking forward to hearing that the problem is fully solved in 7 days

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 05-13-2007 1:13 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hear hear Keith. We've ben watching this story since the old site I think.
    We wait with bated breath!

Andy T,

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-28-2007 4:42 PM In reply to

• PAJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 49
    • Founder

Keith Saunders:

Very good Phil,

We now know for sure that the problem is with the line driver in the France Telecom Exchange which we had both really thought was the case from the begining. So we must both wait another 7 days for this more senior engineer hopefully to change the line driver.

What your tests also show is that whilst the fault is at the exchange, the BeoCom 6000 does draw more line current than most other makes of phone because even with the faulty exchange line driver, the voltage drop is greater with the Beocom 6000, this is basic Ohms law in a DC circuit which is Volts = current x Line resistance where line resistance is normally constant..

Looking forward to hearing that the problem is fully solved in 7 days

Keith..

Hi Keith,

Just to keep you up to date. I had a conversation this morning with a France Telecom engineer and he agreed to install a new card in the exchange...... two minutes later and the problem is solved. I now have a steady -15 vDC under load. It's taken an age to get it sorted but it's a happy ending. 

Thanks for all your help.

--Phil

• 05-28-2007 5:06 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Nice one Phil!
    And glad to hear the problem wasn't related to a B&O product.
    Hasn't Keith been a star?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-30-2007 5:37 AM In reply to

• PAJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 49
    • Founder

Hi Andy, he certainly has.  It's important to have a few good techies in any forum which performs any useful function (other than idle chat).  

Thanks again Keith.

--Phil

• 09-02-2011 7:31 AM In reply to

Can BeoCom 6000 mk1,  bought in England, work in Italy? Thanks

• 10-06-2011 6:27 AM In reply to

• camper
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-05-2011
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Keith Saunders:

From a PSTN line view point I think the UK, French & German Basestations are the same. They do each have different type numbers however which you may wish to check.

UK Type 0636

Germany Type 0632

France Type 0639

Keith..

Hi Keith,

this is a relaunch of the old theme.

I´ve brought a BC 6000 Mk I with it´s pyramid base station/loader, manufactured about 1999 in Germany, to France now. The handset has got a software update on 2.50, but the base station is original.

At first the complete set said nothing at all, but after I´ve changed the wiring in the RJ11 plug in, the set worked for in- and outgoing calls, but there is no caller ID visible. Instead there is a flashing black line.

CLI is active, because on a testwise connected Siemens Gigaset it is working. When I connect the 6000 handset to the Gigaset base station, there ist no caller ID, too.

Is it possible to "update" the base station for use in France with CLI, or what to do?

Additional question:

If not for the MK I, is the MK II with it´s small pstn base usable in whole Europe with full usability?

Thanks for answering.

Gruß vom camper

Filed under:
Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2