in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-21-2007 11:40 AM by Beobuddy. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-19-2007 12:10 AM

Plasma or LCD versus Projector

Peter makes the following point in the thread 'Losing My Religion' (which is an excellent thread by the way): I must confess that I would actually get a projector rather than a bigger screen now. PeterI am thnking of getting a projector rather than a large screen and wonder what members think of the choices.  I would love not to have a screen dominating my living area. There are cheap projectors available now and they seem to give an adequate picture. I would be looking at incorporating it into a BC2, BL8000 setup.I would be interested in your thoughts.

Patrick

• 07-19-2007 2:33 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Re: Plasma or LCD versus Projector

I have a Sony HS60 projector, it's connected to a PC to play DVD and HD, sound currently goes in stereo to my Bl3's... Perfect cinema experience (apart from the sound which is still not in 5.1), the projector is 3.5m away from the wall (which is the screen!) and the image mesures 2,3m horizontallyand now I'm thinking of buying a small Beovision with cinema module in order to get 5.1 and connect everything to one system (the TV), but nothing in the range satisfies me (apart from the Beosystem 3, but I would like to connect it to a small panel, and that doesn't exist...)
  • 07-19-2007 6:52 AM In reply to

Hi 

it's very difficult to use the DVD in BC2 whit no TV to it...

• 07-19-2007 8:49 AM In reply to

In my opinion you should use a LCD / Plasma and a Projector (the projector lamp lifecycle is too short).

You can integrate the projector in the ceiling using a Future Automation mechanism (http://www.futureautomation.co.uk/projectormountsanddrops.htm) and a retractable screen (http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/models.htm).

For everyday use the LCD / Plasma and for movies you use the projector.

You can integrate all the products, LCD / Plasma + Projector + Screen + Curtains + Lights all together with your B&O System, i.e. a pair of BL5 (front speakers), BL3 (rear speakers) and BL7.4 (center speaker) controlled with the beo4.

Everything depends on the budget and the goal that you want to archive.

Hope that helps. 

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

Filed under:
  • 07-19-2007 10:22 AM In reply to

I was going through a similar choice about a year ago.  I opted for the plasma due to the amount of viewing we do.  The bulb life on a projector was too short (2,000 hours at best as I recall) and the lamps can be VERY expensive depending on the projector quality.  My setup  does give me the ability to add a projector in the future.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Roger 

• 07-19-2007 9:24 PM In reply to

The Stig - ver. 1.13:
    Hi it's very difficult to use the DVD in BC2 whit no TV to it...
    Why is this so? i guess it has something to do with the BC2 not having something to recognise

Patrick

• 07-20-2007 2:50 PM In reply to

it's because when it in DVD mode it controlled by the TV  by the scart connection, but it's maybe possible to control it by the AV-DVD function on beo4...

• 07-20-2007 11:58 PM In reply to

I think you can control it from the CD mode. It doesn't need to be connected to the TV via scart, it has SVHS as well. It is actually quite common in the US to connect it to non B&O TVs, projector acts pretty much like one.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-21-2007 12:07 AM In reply to

I have the exact same thoughts as you. I am using actually a Beo4 controlled Imac connected to a projector,  a 500$ Infocus IN72 non HD since I only watch DVD.

Lamps run up 2000 to 3000 hours and are typicallly very expensive. They loose brighness so some actually change earlier. If you watch TV day in day out this would become quite expensive, but for movie watching this is great solution. I actually had a screen but now use just the wall - works OK too. Overall picture could be a bit sharper, however that I think is related to picture size rather then projector. Doesn't bother me at all though.

So I would do both, a small TV and I would probably look at  BC6 26 (23 doesnt do surround) or BV7 32 after it has been upgraded (or get a good deal). I am hoping that one of them will make it to the US some time. Without TV you will not get surround and I am missing a Center right now. Vice clarity is not so great without.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-21-2007 11:40 AM In reply to

I think I'm probably one of the few lucky ones who owns a projector.

I have a traditional setup which existes of a 32" Avant RF DVD, 2x Penta III, 2x BL6000, Denon DVD2930, Epson TW700 (1280x720) and a electric screen.

I can lower the electric screen in front of the Avant, so I can still use the center speaker from the Avant.

The "problem" is that you see every detail if you are projecting on a 2 meter wide screen.

First I tried the composiet signal, but that was very disappointing.

The only useful output from the Avant DVD is the RGB out on scart 1. But it didn't satisfy me enough.

So therefore I have a Denon 2930 with HDMI and Component. This Denon can upscale the videosignal, even to 1080P, and has a very good scaler inside. Not every DVD player can upscale the signal in good quality. 

The Denon is connected to the Epson through a 15 mtr HDMI cable.

The audio goes through the digital lead from the Denon to the Dolby Digital/DTS board in the Avant.

If you have once experienced the picture of a projector then everything else looks small. Even a 50" doesn't give you the same thrill.

I know that if you have a BS3, the Denon can be controlled by the PUC. The Denon 1930/2930/3930 is on the list.

Beobuddy

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)