in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-21-2012 6:08 AM by Flappo. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-19-2012 8:09 PM

• synth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-31-2011
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Beosystem 3 - anyone have comments on it?

Hi

After much thought, I am seriously thinking about using BeoSystem3 for an AV solution.

The idea behind this is I want to leverage the AV video & sound engine for a centrally located and controlled AV system.

Talking to one of the local service technicians,  I believe the latest software version is solid.

It means I can update the video & sound ( tv & speakers ) as needed, and be able to have all my sources hidden away as well.

Does anyone have any stories or experience with the BeoSystem3 they would be happy to share please?

Thanks

• 02-19-2012 9:27 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beosystem 3 - anyone have comments on it?

Are you planning to use b&o speakers with it?

Also, are you looking at a new one? The hdmi version?

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 02-19-2012 10:17 PM In reply to

• synth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-31-2011
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

I have a BV 8-32  that I wanted to run from it, however I havent ruled out the possibility of buying a larger non-B&O tv that I can leverage the BS3 video processing capabilities.

Yes, it would be the HDMI enabled version. 

I looked at how you can run surround etc from a B&O tv, and then figured as I wanted flexibilty to connect an HDMI non-B&O Blu Ray player ( i.e. a Denon ), I figured a "video & audio engine" made sense, so I can mix and match sources and still have an integrated home. The idea behind buying the BS3 is having a "hub" that I can run video and sound from for the whole house.

I also have an older Avant tv I wanted to run in a different room, and hang some 6000s off it for sound. I wanted to build up my system to include some 8000 speakers for the main tv. Ironically, surround sound isnt a priority, but it would be nice to eventually have that capability.

• 02-20-2012 12:35 AM In reply to

Is there a new Beosystem 3 out? is the only difference with the HDMI vs DVI output?

Thanks

• 02-20-2012 8:01 AM In reply to

Was also looking at upgrading my friends BV4/BS1 to A demo but updated BS3, just for the HDMI. But the cost $6k still seems high for what is a prev-gen av unit whose total capabilities we will never use. So, with a heavy heart, we're gonna patch his present system with some remote hdmi switches and a multi-input component to hdmi adapter, and probably look at ditching the BV4 and BS1 and waiting for the new Apple TVs.

BnO: You're too slow!
  • 02-20-2012 8:31 AM In reply to

chickenceo:

Is there a new Beosystem 3 out? is the only difference with the HDMI vs DVI output?

Thanks

I would have thought there had to be some kind of upgrade to process 3D.

• 02-20-2012 5:12 PM In reply to

• synth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-31-2011
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

I have to say I dont consider 3D a priority in AV, but if someone loves 3D hey go for it.

I was going to pick up a 2nd hand BS3, as 6K is exorbitant, but 3K is closer to a reasonable cost. With exception of sub 1K Hi Fi gear, I dont think I've bought many things new, ever. I just cant fiscally justify the crushing depreciation.  Mind you, this mindset works to your advantage when you can pick up a good E39 BMW M5 for sub $25k, so the driver in me gives a nod of approval.

I do view B&O gear as a buy and hold proposition. Sure there is more stuff out there that probably has an edge in some areas, but I'd see B&O as a modern classic which in my eyes delivers technically , aurally and visually as well. I've never forgotten first hearing my parents Beocenter 7007 system and how clean it ( still ) sounds, and I think that hooked me after hearing other "hi fi" systems and the B&O was just *clean* and I thought - yes, I want one of those.

I have a technical background, so running cables and wiring the house for AV is fairly easy for me, so a BS3 appeals in conceptual terms as well, for the level of integration I'm looking at trying to acheive.

I guess some of the questions I had was did anyone experience the BS3's dying, were there known bugs that can be fixed with software upgrades, do people consider it a worthy AV engine beyond the fact that it wears a B&O badge, are there issues with linking it to non B&O sources?  FWIW - I am not wanting total end to end control from a single point like the BS3, if i have to start and stop my blu ray playewr from a separate remote its definately not the end of the world for me.

Any thoughts welcome   ;-)

• 02-20-2012 5:26 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

I think the BS3 is an excellent processor.

Mine is old but I keep the updates as current as I can (living 4.5 hours from a B&O dealer).

I use mine with 5s in front and 3s in the rear.

I really think it's a very good processor.  There are some Rotel and other brands that will handle B&O equipment but I like to keep it all in the family

I've had no problems with mine!

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 02-20-2012 5:34 PM In reply to

• synth
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-31-2011
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Great - thank you for your thoughts. I do also think its worth ( usually ) "keeping it in the family" regards B&O gear.

• 02-20-2012 9:01 PM In reply to

Me too, I am looking forward to pick up a used BS 3 to replace my old Lexicon. However, I wish price could come down a bit more. Big Smile

• 02-21-2012 6:08 AM In reply to

Does it still have problems decoding DTS HD ?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)