in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-22-2012 2:55 PM by Carolpa. 48 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (49 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-13-2012 7:11 AM In reply to

• VANTAGE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-02-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 22
    • Bronze Member

Re: BS5 supports Apple Lossless

mbee:

Qobuz.com is already selling HD tracks in Apple Lossless file format. It's already possible, but not sure if the BS5 decode HD ALAC (iTunes do it, Airport Express don't, and I don't know about Apple TV)

The Apple TV (and iPhone, iPad and iPod) do not go above 24-bit 48 KHz. That's indeed better than a CD's 16-bit 44 KHz, but as you are no doubt aware, the BS5 (not the Encore, I believe) can go up to 192 KHz.

Still, if ALAC is implemented in the BS5, it's great news: no need for two separate libraries anymore if you want to share your music between your iDevices and the BS5!

VANTAGE

• 02-13-2012 9:07 AM In reply to

• Jobak
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-17-2009
    • Posts 19
    • Bronze Member

Doesnt work here after SW update. ??

• 02-13-2012 10:08 AM In reply to

Reading through this thread it seems the posts that say it works refer to ripping CDs. Is it possible the update only works at this pointy with the ripping device and not for transferring music?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 02-13-2012 11:43 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Doesn't work for me Sad.  The songs show up, and the bs5 pretends to play them, but no sound comes out of the speakers.  My bs5 was showing the update screen when i looked at it his morning so i do have whatever release was just pushed out.

Also, it doesnt surprize me that beoconnect doesnt recognize the ALAC file type - last i checked, it did not support flac, either.

Stan

• 02-13-2012 11:47 AM In reply to

Stan:

Doesn't work for me Sad.  The songs show up, and the bs5 pretends to play them, but no sound comes out of the speakers.  My bs5 was showing the update screen when i looked at it his morning so i do have whatever release was just pushed out.

Also, it doesnt surprize me that beoconnect doesnt recognize the ALAC file type - last i checked, it did not support flac, either.

Stan

No update for Beoconnect and the Beoplayer is worse.  As  usual, little coordination of updates and terrible documentation.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 02-13-2012 11:54 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

TripEnglish:

I think it would be funny if they reduced the gaps without eliminating them. 

Do you mean like FLAC?

Stan

• 02-13-2012 12:26 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

linder:

Stan:

Stan

No update for Beoconnect and the Beoplayer is worse.  As  usual, little coordination of updates and terrible documentation.

Actually I think the OP was misinformed somewhere.  No sense in blaming B&O when nobody could even prove the software update was intended for that.  The update changes some MOTS behavior with the Beo6 and allows users of the CD Ripper to rip to 320Kbps.  No mention of ALAC at all.

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 02-13-2012 1:46 PM In reply to

To double check:

1. I ripped another cd with iTunes to Apple Lossless

2. I ripped the same cd with Easy CD-DA Extractor to Apple Lossless

Both cd's are playing on the BS5; both are not recognized by the BS5e.

There is probably a difference with the most other users. I use Twonky 7.01 on a Ubuntu server (and not the 6.0.3x version)! For the insider; Twonky doesn't transcode the Apple Lossless file!

But this shouldn't be essential, Twonky server 6.0.30 detects the files also

• 02-13-2012 3:38 PM In reply to

Alex:

linder:

Stan:

Stan

Actually I think the OP was misinformed somewhere.  No sense in blaming B&O when nobody could even prove the software update was intended for that.  The update changes some MOTS behavior with the Beo6 and allows users of the CD Ripper to rip to 320Kbps.  No mention of ALAC at all.

Bang & Olufsen has been releasing software updates for BS5/BM5 for some time.  B&O is in the business of distributing software.  They could avoid these misunderstandings with timely updates of the specifications on the their website and they could also send an email to registered users explaining what has been updated.  Because of Beoworld, I usually know about updates.  I would be almost certain, that many owners of BS5/BM5 are not aware of the updates.  My BS5/BM5 is usually updated at about 2:00 am.  The reason I know this is because it is located in my bedroom and when the screen comes on, it wakes my up.  That is generally how I know there has been an update besides Beoworld.  The only time I get an email from B&O is when they are trying to sell me something or the monthly newsletter.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 02-13-2012 4:34 PM In reply to

The BeoSound 5 communicates to the user that there's been an update and explains in detail what new features have been added and which features may have changed. E-mailing clients is absolutely unrealistic. In my store alone I have a data-base of nearly 8,000 clients. The number of e-mails that bounce back from mass mailings indicates that an e-mail address is not a static form of contact. Add to that the high number of clients who won't give out their e-mail address - even for the utility of warranty information and other notifications. 

And of course the liklihood of a client randomly checking the website for updates isn't realistic either. 

Ultimately have the notification come through the product itself after the update has taken place is the best way.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-13-2012 6:19 PM In reply to

• grieg007
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Bergen, Norway
    • Posts 54
    • Gold Member

My BS5 was updated and I have the same problem as Stan. Song and cover art shows up, even on the Beo6, but Apple Lossless doesnt play. Strange that some get it to work and for others it isnt. Any thoughts?

• 02-13-2012 9:12 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I would think that if the software update officially supported Apple lossless, then the "latest release" screen would say so.  It must be some got the wrong version - I recall a few releases ago, I was "lucky" to get a newer release that had some new feature, but also crashed a lot and didn't work that well... However, it is nice to know that this is coming even if it is not hear yet.  I've been searching for something to convert my apple lossless into WMA lossless, and I wasn't finding it (although, admittedly, I was doing OK with the mp3s I created instead).  No need to search any longer if this is right around the corner.

Stan

• 02-14-2012 3:31 AM In reply to

This is why I think you can read the tags of an ALAC (apple lossless) file but can not play it on the BS5 : 

Both AAC and ALAC formats are stored in an mp4 container file.
    So they have both the same .m4a extension.
    This is like you have 2 paper  enveloppe's each containing a letter in a different language, but the address info on the enveloppe is the same. 
    I think the tag database is identical for both formats, only the data of the music is different. (MPEG4 tags)
    Thats  why the BS5 can read the tags of an ALAC file  but can not play it.
    It can play AAC files  without any problem (with the same m4a extension)
    So I do  not think apple loss less is supported  today

nico

• 02-14-2012 3:55 AM In reply to

• grieg007
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Bergen, Norway
    • Posts 54
    • Gold Member

Thats all fine, but why can some members play their ALAC (lossless) files after the update and some (like me and Stan) not?

• 02-14-2012 4:00 AM In reply to

Is it possible for the Members who can play ALAC to post some kind of versionnr of their latest firmware?

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 02-14-2012 5:18 AM In reply to

No idea why it is working for some ...
    maybe someone installed an extra  codec on the bm5, or is Twonky making a difference  ?

Carolpa said earlier in a post  : 
    "There is probably a difference with the most other users. I use Twonky 7.01 on a Ubuntu server (and not the 6.0.3x version)! For the insider; Twonky doesn't transcode the Apple Lossless file!" 

Carolpa, did you select the ALAC file with twonky or did you select it  on the BS5 screen ?

nico

• 02-14-2012 2:04 PM In reply to

nico vercammen:

No idea why it is working for some ...
    maybe someone installed an extra  codec on the bm5, or is Twonky making a difference  ?

Carolpa said earlier in a post  : 
    "There is probably a difference with the most other users. I use Twonky 7.01 on a Ubuntu server (and not the 6.0.3x version)! For the insider; Twonky doesn't transcode the Apple Lossless file!" 

Carolpa, did you select the ALAC file with twonky or did you select it  on the BS5 screen ?

nico

NO additional " Apple Lossless" codecs installed.

.m4a files are NOT recognized by the WMP on the BM5

For sure, the files were started in the BS5 menu.

• 02-17-2012 7:45 AM In reply to

*BUMP*

Can more than 1 person actualy confirm that Apple Lossless is playing on his BS5?

Karel.

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 02-17-2012 12:07 PM In reply to

Hi

On my BS5, I can play ALAC files directly via the twonky (BM). I can select the ALAC files it on the BS5 screen, but it's not playing.

• 02-17-2012 12:42 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Carolpa:

NO additional " Apple Lossless" codecs installed.

.m4a files are NOT recognized by the WMP on the BM5

For sure, the files were started in the BS5 menu.

Would you mind posting the software version of your BS5?

• 02-17-2012 1:32 PM In reply to

Bs5/bm5: 6.05.01.3357

Bs5 main firmware 1.33a

Bs5 boot firmware 0.04a

Bm5 ml firmware 2.36

• 02-17-2012 2:28 PM In reply to

• grieg007
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Bergen, Norway
    • Posts 54
    • Gold Member

Thats the same info as my BS5/BM5 that doesnt play back ALAC. Go figure!

• 02-22-2012 2:30 PM In reply to

• Jobak
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-17-2009
    • Posts 19
    • Bronze Member

Beosound 5 does not support Apple Lossless (yet).

People who can play Apple lossless files have a NAS drive or other server with DLNA software. Which is transcoding the lossless format to some else format, which can be played on Beosound 5.

• 02-22-2012 2:55 PM In reply to

Jobak:

Beosound 5 does not support Apple Lossless (yet).

People who can play Apple lossless files have a NAS drive or other server with DLNA software. Which is transcoding the lossless format to some else format, which can be played on Beosound 5.

Hi Jobak,

that's exactly what I also thought when I didn't get any positive response of any other user. 

I use Twonky and Twonky has this capability. It does this through a file called "transcode.db". But there is no such a file on my Ubuntu server. And if Twonky would transcode the Apple Lossless to another format, why can't I play these files on the BS5e or the Windows Media Player?

my BM5 versions updates were (latest to the first sw 6.0):

6.05.01.3357 - 6.0.5.00.3166 - 6.05.00.3125 - 6.04.00.2871 - 6.03.01.2599 - 6.02.00.1902 - 6.01.01.6524 - 6.01.00.6456

Page 2 of 2 (49 items) < Previous 1 2