in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-01-2012 2:51 AM by chartz. 58 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-12-2012 3:12 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Re: Just bought a Beolab 5000

Well done! You're making me jealous now!

Very nice indeed.

Jacques

• 02-25-2012 4:20 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Now with Beomaster...

To be done: changing the hardened rubber feet, sanding and repainting the Beomaster bottom plate. There is rust around the rubber feet, caused by the rubber itself degenerating. The feet are riveted, unfortunately. I will have to thread the plate before spraying. 

I'll also have to find the special FM connector...

Jacques

• 02-27-2012 4:03 AM In reply to

@ Step1: you wrote you replaced the amp trimmers..do you mean the level pots at the bottom ?

Because i'm working on Leslie's and noticed one of the phono level pots is broken i'd like to replace it but this seems like almost impossible to reach...

They're located under the switches, it looks like one has to take the whole amp apart which is a disaster with all the tough wiring and no connectors...:(, so i was wondering if and how you managed..

• 02-27-2012 11:51 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

No I didn't replace the level trimmers, as these were fine after a clean! Not sure what advice to give but it does kind of look like a commited job! BTW If you find a new source of these overly large pots then let me know out of interest.... I guess Dillen / Frede are the folks to ask though!

Olly.

• 02-29-2012 5:09 AM In reply to

well...accessing them/being able to replace them seems to be the first and major headache.:)

I did email Frede with a pic of the, in my view, impossible quest but so far it has been remarkably quiet...

Well, let's see if someone knows the answer..

• 02-29-2012 5:29 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Hi,

I must admit to being a little afraid too. My Beolab works as it is, so I haven't opened it yet.

I did open the Beomaster tuner though! Nothing fearful here. I had to do much cleaning, there was a layer of white powder (white rust, or zinc oxide, due to damp storage conditions) all over the silver galvanised steel parts and the trimmers were black. Now my technique is to use Mr Clean for the metal parts, then when the surfaces are clean and shiny, I oil them slightly (Mobil One) and wipe them again.

Oil will also remove the black oxidization on the trimmers quite magically!

The DIN sockets were cleaned too because they started to oxidize. They look as good as new now (just one hour to do that!).

The bottom steel plate will be replaced completely. The real difficulty will be finding the correct paint!

I'll publish the photos when I get the palissander top from Martin. I also bought a new signal meter to replace the really hazy one that came with the tuner.

Could you publish a picture Paul please?

Jacques

• 02-29-2012 3:45 PM In reply to

Here should be a pic of the switch mechanics, seen from top, below the small pcb which can be flipped up.

The pots are located straight under the metal parts of the front switches and it seems not possible to reach from the bottom part of the beolab...

• 02-29-2012 3:56 PM In reply to

right under the metal parts with the springs (switch mechanics) is a plastic foil, under it are the pots...:(

• 03-01-2012 2:51 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Are you sure that the PCB won't lift up from below, after you unscrew the bottom plate?

Jacques

Page 3 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3