in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-29-2011 5:52 PM by David. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-09-2011 3:42 PM

• David
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • UK
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Sad [:(] BeoMaster 3000 Popping

Recently my cherished BeoMaster 3000 has been popping and cracking.

If I’m using Phono or Tape input and its been on for about 10 minutes (enough time to heat up) it will start popping and eventually gets unlistenable. If i put the unit into standby for a while and then back on it will still be popping but after a while unlistenable again.

Interestingly it does not start popping if I’m using FM and when it does pop on the other inputs the STEREO light comes on and the 2 light above STANDBY are on (The ones witch normally indicate FM signal strength)

I have talked to a few people and they seem to think it might be the power supply; maybe the radio uses a different part of the supply. I have opened it up and couldn’t see any sign on a burnt out capacitor.

Any ideas on what’s wrong with it? And more importantly how do I fix it!

Filed under:
  • 12-10-2011 2:24 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Re: BeoMaster 3000 Popping

Hi David, and a warm welcome!

Well, this may be a transistor going belly-up, or a bad resistor carrying voltage to a transistor!

The only way to find out would be to monitor the signal... Does this happen on one channel only?

Don't discard one or several bad solder joints though. Inspect the PCB with a magnifying glass.

Jacques

• 12-10-2011 12:51 PM In reply to

• David
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • UK
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Thanks very much, I hope to join in the dissuasions on the forums. :)

It happens to both channels, I don't have an oscilloscope, nor the technical know-how to trace the fault. I may have to consault one of my friends! I don't suppose there would be a replaceable component? I can de-solder and re-solder easly. It was suggested to me that I should re-flow the board!

I have tried looking on eBay for a cosmetically damaged beomaster 3000 but no hope! People look after their B&o equipment to well, rightly so!
  • 12-29-2011 5:52 PM In reply to

• David
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 02-03-2008
    • UK
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Does anyone have any ideas?
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)