in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-05-2011 5:35 PM by Eystein. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-02-2011 6:03 PM

connecting the new AppleTV to a Beovision 7-32 Mk III. Got picture, where's the sound?

Dear all. 

I have read several threads on this forum on this very topic, and I have been unsuccesful in solving this problem. Therefore, I would appreciate any advice I can get. 

I have purchased a new AppleTV, and I do get picture, via the DVI port on AV4. The problem is that there is no sound. I tried to overcome this by buying a digital audio converter, specifically an HQ-CONV-OPCOAX, which has an optic input and a co-axial output. I then connected the co-axial cable to A1, to A2, to A3 and A4 - without any success. 

I have spoken to two local B&O dealers, who have not been able to help me resolve the issue. 

Having written to B&O in Denmark, I got the following answer: 

"For analogue sound connection on new Apple TV version you need to connect “Optical to Analogue converter”, Toslink and Phono cables.
    Also here it is necessary that you have the correct DSM and AP softwares, which your dealer can help with, and PCM must be set to ON in the Customer Service Menu. 

For digital sound you need to connect “Optical to Coaxial S/P-Dif”, Toslink and Phono cable, and again he correct DSM and AP softwares, and PCM set to ON in the Customer Service Menu. Please also note that only analogue sound can be distributed to link rooms."

I have three questions, therefore.

1. Since I already have the Optical to Co-axial converter, I wonder if some of you have been succesful in using this? What am I doing wrong, or not doing?

2. Have any of you purchased an optical to analogue converter, and been succesful in connecting the AppleTV? The 'audio socket' option on AV4, which is the only place I can connet the DVI cable, only allows "A1, A2, A3 or A4", and so I wonder whether this is an option at all? 

3. Is this at all possible, or should I give up? 

I do hope you can help, it would be the best X-mas present ever! 

• 12-03-2011 6:50 AM In reply to

• JC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Yorkshire / UK
    • Posts 621
    • Founder

Re: connecting the new AppleTV to a Beovision 7-32 Mk III. Got picture, where's the sound?

I have been trying to do this now for around 3 months and I have been thwarted in every attempt!!

I have pretty much given up now. It is rediculous that in these days of multiple ways of watching and listenning to media content that B&O is so behind in it's products that are only 2 or 3 years old! Considering the new price that these TVs commanded it leaves me baffled and dissapointed with the poor longevity and lack of support.

Jonnie

• 12-03-2011 6:54 AM In reply to

Re: connecting the new AppleTV to a Beovision 7-32 Mk III. Got picture, where's the sound?

JC:

I have been trying to do this now for around 3 months and I have been thwarted in every attempt!!

I have pretty much given up now. It is rediculous that in these days of multiple ways of watching and listenning to media content that B&O is so behind in it's products that are only 2 or 3 years old! Considering the new price that these TVs commanded it leaves me baffled and dissapointed with the poor longevity and lack of support.

Jonnie

Isn't the support you talk of in the OP? Directly from BeoCare?  You use a digi to analogue convertor, input the audio to the phone inputs for AV4, and off you go.

I haven't done it on a 32 as I have never had on, but it works fine on a 40 MKII so I would be suprised if it's not exactly the same.

• 12-03-2011 10:15 AM In reply to

• JC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Yorkshire / UK
    • Posts 621
    • Founder

I'd love you to come round and have a go!! I'll get the kettle on you may be here for a whileSmile

• 12-03-2011 11:42 AM In reply to

You may have already tried all the below, and I hope the post is taken in the spirit it's intended which is meaning to be helpful, not patronising.   Like I say I got this working on a 7-40 MKII using the method below.

Assign AV4 to "PC"

Plug ATV via HDMI to DVI convertor in DVI on TV.

Use Digital to analogue convertor like the one below, and plug the phono leads into the AV4 red and white audio inputs, which should be above the projector input.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cablesson%C2%AE-SAP-3-Digital-Analogue-Converter/dp/B002KHA1J6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1322930484&sr=8-4

Make sure PCM is on on the TV.

Make sure you have confirmed with your dealer that the software is all at the correct level to allow this to work.

• 12-03-2011 5:42 PM In reply to

Thank you so much for your advice, rednik. 

It is much appreciated, and it is indeed what I was planning to do. I am glad to hear that this proved succesful for your 7-40, which should mean I should have no problems on my 7-32. 

I follow what you mean by assigning AV4 to PC, and how you suggest I connect the cables. 

However, I don't grasp what you mean by saying "make sure PCM is on on the TV". This was also pointed out to me by B&O, in their reply to me. I really don't know how to turn it on, nor what it is. 

Could you please let me know what you mean? 

Meanwhile, I'm going to try and get the Opt-Analogue converter you mention. 

Best regards, 

Eystein

• 12-05-2011 5:35 PM In reply to

Seeing as I started this because I could not find a single thread on these forums where this particular issue had been resolved, I'm going to add this final post. 

It works.

The trick was to convert the optical sound from the new Apple TV via a "Gefen TV Digital Audio Decoder with Dolby digital". This decoder has both co-ax and optical input, and converts the digital sound input down to 2 channel L/R. It did cost about 100 euros, however, but it is likely to be less expensive if you shop around on the web. 

Purchase this decoder. Thereafter, plug the analogue sound into the R/L input on AV4 and you should get both sound and picture as I did. 

No further adjustment on the menu was required. 

To summarise: You'll get the picture buy purchasing an HDMI to DVI cable, and connecting this to the DVI input on AV4. Get an optical-optical cable, the above decoder (D/A), and plug the analogue sound into R/L on AV4. On the B&O menu, choose "options", then "connections", then "AV4", and adjust "source" to STB/DTV or PC, leave "none" for audio socket and IR socket, and finally put "DVI-I" for the HDTV. Push "go", and you should succeed, as I did. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)