in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-22-2011 4:04 PM by paul. 63 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (64 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-30-2011 5:08 AM

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

THE BEOWORLD PRIZE DRAW - PLEASE READ

Dear BeoWorld Members,

It's with a heavy heart that i'm going to have to admit that the prize draw is really becoming too much for me.  It takes a huge amount of time to source, clean, test, then photograph products and upload images and descriptions.  Then, it takes two whole evenings to write, draw, prepare and then actually sit in front of a computer for the evening actually doing the draw (giving Botty moral support you understand) - then it takes me 2-3 weeks to collate everyones info, get shipping quotes, pack and post - then collect shipping payments and make sure everyone is happy with their prize.

It's usually the third week of the month by the time this is done, whereupon i have 5-7 days off - then it all starts over again.

I'm pleased to say (in a  way) that LifeStyle AV has gone into the stratosphere and is expanding over the coming months in many ways, which is taking around 12 hours a day, 6 days a week of my time.  Sundays are the only day off to spend with my wife and children - and when i end up spending the day catching up with BeoWorld Prize Draws instead of seeing them, it makes me quite sad.

Whilst I'm doing all this and not seeing my children grow up, i find it somewhat disheartening when we get no more than a handful of people bothering to turn up online for the draw.  It all started as a big buzz and people were genuinely excited - but now i feel nobody really cares that much.  It's just a 'hold your hand out and see what lands in it' once a month for many people. I fully understand this - it's a normal human reaction and is commonly phrased as 'the novelty has worn off'.  These things happen and i fully accept that.

What i'm proposing is a quarterly draw - starting at the end of January 2013 and three-monthly from there on.  The reason for this is that nobody can then feel aggrieved or cheated that they joined as Gold for the monthly draw over the last few months, only to find they'd been 'duped' and the goalposts have changed during their membership period.  If we make it clear from January 2012 that in 12 Months time the draw will be quarterly, nobody can complain and can choose to opt in or out of Gold Membership as they see fit.

This will also save BeoWorld a fortune.  We constantly have absolutely no money in the bank as the draw sucks the life out of it - and when bills come in it's always myself who ends up paying them out of LifeStyle AV's money. We're talking about thousands of pounds a year here, so when people moan that BeoWorld isn't independent -  that's correct  LifeStyle AV props it up, to the tune of around £1,000 a month on average. 

In all the time BeoWorld has been re-launched in its current format the membership prices haven't gone up by a penny.  However, operating costs sit at five times what they used to.  Without a small surplus of cash in the bank we can't buy the lastest software, develop the site and move forward.  This has always been the main aim for me with regards to BeoWorld. Always improve, always have the very best.

Anyway - that aside, there are my thoughts.  If i was retired, i'd have no problem at all as i'd have all the time in the world to devote to the Prize Draw and find ways of the site becoming more financially independent.  However, I haven't - and something has to give.  This is my suggestion and i'd appreciate your feedback.  It's taken me almost a year to get to this decision and write this post - and i'm very sorry as i feel i've let everyone down.

Kindest Regards

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 11-30-2011 5:31 AM In reply to

• EdouardG
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 339
    • Gold Member

Re: THE BEOWORLD PRIZE DRAW - PLEASE READ

Hi Lee,

That won't be a problem for me if the prizedraw is quarterly.

As you mention it, family + company leading are the most important things in life.

If you need some time, don't hesitate to ask for my help when needed (as mentionned in an email I sent you) cause even if, as a lot of beoworld members, I'm busy, I think that one small help + one small help + one small help = 1 x big help.

Take care,

E d o u a r d  G

• Beovision 10-40 Orange MkII / Motorised stand / DVB HD T2/C MkIII
    • Beolab 5 Black
    • Beosound 8 Black
    • Beocom 2 MkII (Polished Alu)
    • Earset 2
    • Earset 3i
    • Form 2 Black
    • Beotime (Alarm Clock)
    • Keyring
    • Beo 6 / Wall charger
    • Beo 4  

°°°°°°°  2nd Prize Draw Winner - November '11 / Beolab 3000 N.O.S  °°°°°°°
  • 11-30-2011 5:41 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Not a probelm for me - it was always a "nice to have" rather than a reason to be here.Smile

Obviously not wishing to deprive your kids of your company, but -

Is there a prize draw tonight???DevilLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 11-30-2011 5:43 AM In reply to

I do not feel it is a problem, especially with so much notice. I use several forums, none has a price draw.

Out of curiosity, what are all the costs associated with (excluding the price draw)?

P.

• 11-30-2011 6:01 AM In reply to

• Todd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-01-2009
    • Columbus Ohio
    • Posts 136
    • Gold Member

Hey Lee,

I'm not a Gold member but your honesty and obvious dedication too Beoworld; Its members at this forum and specifically to the prize

draw has actually encouraged me too become a Gold member ASAP! So despite the prize draw becoming quarterly You've actually

motivated me to support this site and hopefully ENCOURAGE YOU NOT TOO THINK YOU'VE LET US DOWN...YOUR FAMILY SHOULD BE FIRST!

Be Encoraged!Smile

Todd

• 11-30-2011 6:02 AM In reply to

Very fair and well put. 

• 11-30-2011 6:22 AM In reply to

No problem at all. I've always been a gold member primarily to support this unique community. The monthly draw has been a nice (in fact a VERY nice) bonus. Anything that can help keep this community going should take priority...

Thank you Lee (and others) for generously putting so much effort into Beoworld. If I can help in any way please do keep me in mind.

Kind regards, Eric

September 2009 1st prize winner.... 

• 11-30-2011 6:34 AM In reply to

As the majority of the posters here so far i am also a founder member of the website and gold member of course. I love prize draws although i have never won anything all these years Hmm.

But Beoworld is a source of inspiration, relaxation and solutions to numerous problems regarding our favourite equipment. So it is clear for me. I will continue to support it in the future. Cheers Smile

-Dimitris

• 11-30-2011 6:43 AM In reply to

• hebo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 305
    • Founder

Hi Lee,

Won't be a problem for me.

Put your family first, and thanks for all those exciting evenings...

/Hebo

BV10

• 11-30-2011 7:18 AM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 85
    • Founder

Hi Lee,

Personally I would be a bit sad to see the monthly draws go, but I respect your decission about this.

I would not mind if the cost of Gold membership was increased so there was a small profit to Beoworld.com in order to develop this fantastic site further if that could be an alternative to continue the monthly draws.

No matter what is the final decission I enjoy this site tremendously and will continue with my gold membership.

All the best

Thomas

7-40 Mk3, Beo5/Beo4, Avant32DVD, BS3K, PentaIII, BL4K, BL Active w/BL2500, Avant28CTV,Beoport, AppleTV, 2xBC6K

• 11-30-2011 7:50 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Would rather that than the subs go up tbh so no probs here!

Olly.

• 11-30-2011 8:16 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Lee, this is just fine, no problem! Please enjoy some real quality time with your family.

I always try my absolute hardest to participate in the draws but have difficulty because of school work and many other commitments.

It looks like you have our full support! If you need any remote help, do not hesitate to ask!

Smile

Evan

• 11-30-2011 8:28 AM In reply to

Lee,

I joined 'Beoworld' over two years ago as a 'Gold' member and since then have found the thoughfulness and generosity of the members almost astonishing.  The site has been a source of amusement, information, cameraderie and indeed friendship, as it has introduced me to a number of people I would never have met.  In some ways, it has even changed my view of the world, as so many people willingly give their time to help others.  These 'random acts of kindness' are what make us truly human.  If my continued subscription helps to maintain a site with such displays of altruism, I will willingly continue to pay regardless of whether there is a monthly, quarterly or even no prize draw.

As someone who has seen a number of relationships collapse under the pressure of work, I fully understand and support your decision.

Cleve

• 11-30-2011 8:35 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Lee,

I am a new "Gold" member but I didn't do it for the prize, although of course I'd be happy bo be drawn from the hat!

I did it because everybody here is so nice and friendly that I wouldn't want the site to close its doors... and the information is so precious!

So yes a quarterly draw will do just fine. One's family is indeed the most important thing in life, and it does come first.

Jacques

• 11-30-2011 8:47 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

I am currently doing a job that puts me in the exactly the same situation and I am doing everything I can to change job asap. Lee, do not wait a year to implement the change - that's a year of the most important aspect of your life lost forever. If you get the odd member leave because that's not what they signed up for ( I would imagine this would be a handful) - so what?

Another option would be to delegate the task to a volunteer who is local to you - maybe someone who is retired?

Cheers

Nigel 

• 11-30-2011 8:47 AM In reply to

Cleviebaby:

Lee,

I joined 'Beoworld' over two years ago as a 'Gold' member and since then have found the thoughfulness and generosity of the members almost astonishing.  The site has been a source of amusement, information, cameraderie and indeed friendship, as it has introduced me to a number of people I would never have met.  In some ways, it has even changed my view of the world, as so many people willingly give their time to help others.  These 'random acts of kindness' are what make us truly human.  If my continued subscription helps to maintain a site with such displays of altruism, I will willingly continue to pay regardless of whether there is a monthly, quarterly or even no prize draw.

As someone who has seen a number of relationships collapse under the pressure of work, I fully understand and support your decision.

Cleve

Cleve's words could be mine, quarterly draw and higher membership fee no problem, I lost one family working my but of and forgetting what family is about, so Lee just do it.

Søren

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 11-30-2011 9:38 AM In reply to

• Foxtrott
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Vienna, Austria
    • Posts 500
    • Founder

Dear Lee,

I can only second what has already been said here... I for my part have no problem with quarterly draws or a higher membership. When the reduced number of draws contributes to put Beoworld on a more solid base, even better.

But most important: Family comes first!

Foxtrott

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
    Henry VI, Part 2 William Shakespeare

• 11-30-2011 9:42 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

You need to give a whole year's notice? People will have forgotten about it by then and your kids won't know who you are.

I suggest do it from Jan 31st 2012 and change the Gold membership benefits from monthly to quarterly straight away. If anyone wants a refund, offer them a refund of £2.50 per month (2.50 x 12 = 30) they have left running on their memberships. I'm sure not many will complain.

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 11-30-2011 10:07 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Personally, not sure why we need a draw at all. Or if we do, just have one decent item once a quarter or something.

The way I see this is that most of us are in the privileged position where we can generally afford B&O products, so I find it somewhat of an irony that we have to give away products each month to justify getting users to pay for the forum.

One of the reasons I stopped my gold membership was that I simply do not need the prizes. I dropped out to allow users a fairer chance of winning. My assumption is that there are a lot of users paying for a gold membership who do not need the prizes and do not bother to come online for the prize draw.

If it was me, I'd:

1) Drop monthly prize draws from 31 December 2012, giving away between one and three prizes a quarter

2) Consider a slightly smaller membership fee to encourage everyone to pay their way (including me)

• 11-30-2011 11:42 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

moxxey:
    The way I see this is that most of us are in the privileged position where we can generally afford B&O products

I think you'll find you are incorrect. Some might be in that privileged position but most are mid earners who save up to purchase new, buy second hand or just enjoy the vintage products.

You could still be a gold member and support the site & I'm sure Lee would allow you to opt out of the draw as he has done for another (very generous) member.

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 11-30-2011 12:02 PM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Go for it Lee - I can live with your decision - I spent my working life putting family first, had a ball with 'em - others in my bit of the water industry thought I was mad with this strategy however, my wife sadly died 2 weeks ago after a prolonged illness, because of my family first I have loads of happy memories!

Not looking for sympathy, just pointing out idiosyncracies life can throw up - cr*p retirement but a happy life up to that point!

salut

Tony

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 11-30-2011 12:41 PM In reply to

Can I have a refund ?

LOL , only joking.

Tbh , a nice white mug with beoworld stamped on it would do me as a prize for being a gold member , why bother with a draw as Moxxey quite rightly said ?

I'm sure it would cut out a lot of hassle.

• 11-30-2011 12:50 PM In reply to

Puncher:

Not a probelm for me - it was always a "nice to have" rather than a reason to be here.Smile

Obviously not wishing to deprive your kids of your company, but -

Is there a prize draw tonight???DevilLaughing

+1

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-30-2011 1:07 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

Lee:

I would support the site with gold membership whether there were a draw monthly, quarterly, yearly, or not at all.  Do what you need to do.

Best regards,

Rich

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 11-30-2011 1:26 PM In reply to

I agree with a lot of the sentiment here Lee. Quarterly fine with me. Why not simplify the whole thing with a couple of star prizes and the rest as Lifestyle vouchers? That way some members might 'upgrade' their wins and give you a bit more business.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

Page 1 of 3 (64 items) 1 2 3 Next >