in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-20-2011 11:31 AM by knrj. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-24-2011 4:46 PM

Spotify integrated in Beosound 5 and Encore available in January!

Spotify will be integrated in Beosound 5 and Beosound 5 Encore in January.
    No more details unfortunately. Can anyone confirm this?

Finally I migth unpack my Encore and put my Beocenter 2 for sale!... Big Smile
    Only the Masterlink converter left to make this a lovely device... Angry

Edit: My dealer told me that this will be available as a software upgrade to new and old BS5 / BS5 Encore! 

• 11-24-2011 11:15 PM In reply to

Re: Spotify integrated in Beosound 5 and Encore available in January!

Cool

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 11-25-2011 1:56 AM In reply to

• Yendys
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 100
    • Founder

These products are starting to become very interesting.... Will have another look at them when this feature is formally released

BV10, AvantDVD, BS3000, BL8000, BL6000, BL4000, BL3500, BeoPorts, BC9300, BC7002, CX100s, C75s, Beo4s, BC6000s, LC2s, A9, A8s,

• 11-25-2011 2:08 AM In reply to

• Tomaz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-07-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 74
    • Gold Member

native spotify would be a great integration--  I think it will be the perfect gadget for folkdeejay Big Smile he was continuously complaining about the lack of spotify in beo products..now he can open a bottle of good wineDrinks

TT

• 11-25-2011 2:22 AM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

This will help how? The following is from spotify's Wikipedia page. The service has come under fire for failing to compensate independent artists fairly. Helienne Lindvall of The Guardian reported that "indie labels... as opposed to the majors and Merlin members, receive no advance, receive no minimum per stream and only get a 50% share of ad revenue on a pro-rata basis."[86] Swedish musician Magnus Uggla wanted to pull his music from the service, stating that after six months he'd only earned "what a mediocre busker could earn in a day".[87] Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet reported in 2009 that record label Racing Junior had only earned NOK 19 ($3.00 USD) after their artists had been streamed over 55,100 times.[88] According to an infographic by David McCandless, an independent artist on Spotify would need over four million streams per month to earn US$1,160.[89] Luke Lewis of NME points to problems with the Spotify business model, saying he was "convinced the 'free' aspect of Spotify is unsustainable" and that if "Spotify is to have a future, it needs to be a viable business".[90] In September of 2011, Brooklyn-based independent label Projekt Records entered a public disagreement with Spotify, stating "In the world I want to live in, I envision artists fairly compensated for their creations, because we (the audience) believe in the value of what artists create. The artist's passion, dedication and expression is respected and rewarded. Spotify is NOT a service that does this. Projekt will not be part of this unprincipled concept." [91] A 2011 blog post alleged that the higher 320 kbps bitrate supposedly available to Premium subscribers was in reality only available on around 30% of tracks.[59] A large majority of the content was actually streamed in 160 kbps.[59] The usefulness of Spotify for listening to classical music has been criticised, because playback is not gapless (there is a slight pause between tracks), which affects much classical music, and searching is very poor.[92] This is also a problem in other types of music, including popular music, where some albums are intended to be listened to without gaps. [93] Spotify has also been criticised for bugs in the Android version, which prevents the use of offline playlist functionality on Honeycomb-based devices.[94] Spotify also faces new issues with the introduction of requiring a Facebook account. [95]

• 11-25-2011 2:45 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Yendys:
    These products are starting to become very interesting.... 

I agree here. Encore should be able to stream tracks on demand, which makes an interesting scenario.

But, don't forget you can do this right NOW using your Beosound 8 and iPhone/iPad. Just download the Spotify app to your mobile device, connect to your BS8 and you'll be able to stream audio to the BS8, on demand.

There's lots of stuff you can do with the BS8, like the above, that B&O should promote more heavily. For instance, you can use your iPhone/BS8 to stream audiobooks for your kids, rather than placing them in front of a TV.

One word of warning though....the Spotify app can be very flaky. Prone to crashing.

• 11-25-2011 5:22 AM In reply to

Tomaz:

native spotify would be a great integration--  I think it will be the perfect gadget for folkdeejay Big Smile he was continuously complaining about the lack of spotify in beo products..now he can open a bottle of good wineDrinks

Indeed.  Big Smile

Although I would like to think I was pointing out a major drawback in the eyes of potential buyers, and therefore the reason for less than ground-breaking sales, rather than just 'complaining'.

Please have in mind that I spent 5/6 days a week trying to sell & install  BeoProducts in various roles for almost 20 years, and the lack of streaming was, without doubt, the #1 reason for potential owners not taking the plunge, in my experience.

I am/always was a fan of the overall design - in fact, I think I am correct in remembering  my shop was one of the first in the UK to install one, back when i was doing that.

Good news all round.

• 11-25-2011 5:27 AM In reply to

moxxey:

One word of warning though....the Spotify app can be very flaky. Prone to crashing.

Perhaps - but the PC version ( which I guess the basis of the BS5 app) is solid in my experience.

Used via my Beolink system for several hours a day probably 4 or 5 days a week, and I don't recall it crashing once in recent months.

Is the apple app maybe dropping out with mobile connection issues ?

• 11-25-2011 6:12 AM In reply to

folkdeejay:

Perhaps - but the PC version ( which I guess the basis of the BS5 app) is solid in my experience.

Used via my Beolink system for several hours a day probably 4 or 5 days a week, and I don't recall it crashing once in recent months.

Maybe it's simply just not too good. That can happen on Apple as well Big Smile 

I've been running the Windows version of Spotify on a Linux netbook under Wine (free Windows emulator), which is a totally unsupported platform for Spotify and it hasn't crashed or even malfunctioned once. Ever.

However, after Spotify introduced the five play times per track maximum on the free accounts, I haven't used it at all...

-mika

• 11-25-2011 6:40 AM In reply to

Well, in reference to an ealrier point - £5 a month is not a lot to pay for all that content, advert-free.

I had the premium for a couple of months (£10) as I was travelling and used the off-line facility a lot.  Even that, at £10 is stunning value - and of course, if more pewople subscribed, the artist payments would ( I assume) improve.

I saw a tweet from a guy who got way less than £10uk for 80,000 plays.  I think it was about £6, in fact.

Personally, I think for £4.99 its a bargain.

• 11-25-2011 6:46 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

folkdeejay:

See comments: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/spotify/id324684580?mt=8

• 11-25-2011 6:48 AM In reply to

folkdeejay:
    Well, in reference to an ealrier point - £5 a month is not a lot to pay for all that content, advert-free.

No it's not, but if I'm to pay for music, I'd like at least some of that money going to the artists, so I'll rather just continue to buy records (or mostly just listen to the radio, but anyway...).

Given the lower quality of the free service and the frequency and annoyance of the advertisements, I think they should rather pay me for using it instead of limiting my listening time! Big Smile

But, I wasn't trying to start a discussion on their pricing policy, just pointed out that the Windows client is rock solid.

-mika

• 11-25-2011 7:00 AM In reply to

moxxey:

folkdeejay:

See comments: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/spotify/id324684580?mt=8

Oh dear...that all sounds a bit crap.

Not an apple user, and don't use many apps really, so I didn't know apps vary in reliability accross platforms.

• 11-25-2011 8:21 AM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

http://www.stuff.tv/news/web/hands-on/pure-music-hands-on?page=0,0

If i could buy a B&O media player, where i was guarenteed top quality music and film, at a reasonable cost i would buy one. In the mean time i'll make do with an Ipad and Apple TV.

Whats the point in having a player, where the user has to put plastic disks into the bottom of the TV to watch video in this internet wireless age? I just don't get it.

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 11-25-2011 9:53 AM In reply to

This looks promising that B&O is adding more functionality to the BeoSound 5 to make it a more complete media center. Hopefully, they will give some attention to the BeoMaster 5 as a video media center, too. It would seem so logical to have Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, etc. on the BeoMaster 5 with a very "B&O" style of interface. It does seem a shame that B&O used a DVI instead of HDMI connection from the BeoMaster 5, though. With all the attention on the BeoSound 5 Encore, B&O needs to show added features to market the BeoSound 5/BeoMster 5 combo.

• 11-27-2011 8:46 AM In reply to

• tompa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-30-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 94
    • Bronze Member

beojeff:

It does seem a shame that B&O used a DVI instead of HDMI connection from the BeoMaster 5, though. With all the attention on the BeoSound 5 Encore, B&O needs to show added features to market the BeoSound 5/BeoMster 5 combo.

And what is the problem??...

DVI and HDMI is the same but different connector and no sound in DVI but a simpel coax wire to tv fix that

• 11-27-2011 11:39 AM In reply to

beojeff:

This looks promising that B&O is adding more functionality to the BeoSound 5 to make it a more complete media center. Hopefully, they will give some attention to the BeoMaster 5 as a video media center, too. It would seem so logical to have Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, etc. on the BeoMaster 5 with a very "B&O" style of interface. It does seem a shame that B&O used a DVI instead of HDMI connection from the BeoMaster 5, though. With all the attention on the BeoSound 5 Encore, B&O needs to show added features to market the BeoSound 5/BeoMster 5 combo.

For video use a mediaplayer

• 11-27-2011 12:22 PM In reply to

koning:

beojeff:

For video use a mediaplayer

That's my point. For what we pay for a BeoMaster 5, it SHOULD be a media player for video. It would be nice to have that all intergrated into one B&O product. As the BeoMaster 5 is basically a computer and hard drive and has an internet connection, this should be possible.

• 11-27-2011 12:42 PM In reply to

tompa:

beojeff:

It does seem a shame that B&O used a DVI instead of HDMI connection from the BeoMaster 5, though. With all the attention on the BeoSound 5 Encore, B&O needs to show added features to market the BeoSound 5/BeoMster 5 combo.

And what is the problem??...

DVI and HDMI is the same but different connector and no sound in DVI but a simpel coax wire to tv fix that

The DVI interface is bulky, dated, and requires an adapter even for B&O's own BeoSystem 3.

• 12-20-2011 11:31 AM In reply to

• knrj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-28-2010
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Is this a rumor or has Spotify for the BeoSound 5 Encore been annonced? This would be very interesting!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)