in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-20-2011 4:19 AM by Dillen. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-10-2011 3:10 AM

Non-working Beogram 3000 - 5228, bits and pieces..

Just got an old Beogram 3000, model 5228. Looks nice, but doesn't work at all (well, motor seems to spin or at least sounds like it but nothing else).

Digged in, the envelope with schematics was still inside - but someone had tampered with the machine: cam-lifting wheel was missing!

But the nice part: the cam-wheel and some smaller bits and pieces were inside the Beogram in a small plastic bag! So, a previous "repairman" had tried to fix something, taken some pieces out and couldn't make it - but luckily left all the parts there for the next guy!

Now, I know where the cam-wheel goes but the little pieces are more difficult - and the pictures on the service manual are not very detailed. There seems to be a pin (axle ?) and a spring ?

Please, can someone take a detailed picture inside a BG3000 (maybe 1202 or similar will do as well ?) so I can put the pieces in place ?

-jari

• 11-10-2011 11:17 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Non-working Beogram 3000 - 5228, bits and pieces..

Locking pin (120) goes through the platter hub axle to hold the gear wheel (119) fitted to the axle.
    The C-clip holds the whole thing in place, that is when the sequence wheel, the lift/lower bar etc.
    has all been fitted the clip goes on the protruding stub at the center of the sequence wheel.
    The large piece of curved wire; Could it be (172) or (174) at the tonearm base ?
    Or (129) on the top of the chassis near the friction plate (red arrow) ?

This is a Beogram 1102 so quite different from the 3000, but I believe it's basically the same mech. functions.

Martin

• 11-10-2011 11:55 AM In reply to

Thanks, Martin! That was a big help: the locking pin (120) it is, and the wire spring looks like to be from tonearm base (174)!

Now I'll just try to fit all these pieces back...

-jari

• 11-14-2011 11:53 AM In reply to

A follow-up question (a bit ashamed to ask, but...):

Which side up the cam-wheel should be ? I thought it should be the side with a lot of grooves up, i.e. down the axle (when the BG is upside down in front of You); but I cannot position it deep enough to fit the c-clip. Should it be the other way round (i.e. the side with the metal and plastic parts, see the picture in my first mail, down the axl) ?

-jari

• 11-14-2011 4:26 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Side with metal and plastic parts upwards.
    Grooves downwards. (As seen normally).
    Make sure to mate all levers and arms.

Martin

• 11-20-2011 3:36 AM In reply to

Finally got some time to fit the cam-wheel properly - and I think I got it right! Thanks, Martin!

But another problem shows up now that the mechanism itself works (i.e tonearms moves and lowers ok etc.): the motor doesn't seem have enough torque to turn the platter. Could it be just old hardened grease on the motor ? When I move the idler wheel a bit away from the motor it spins freely and with nice speed, but when I let the belt squeeze fully the idler wheel to motor spindle it just grinds to halt.

Is that a common problem with these motors and can it be mended or do I need another motor (from a donor player) ?

• 11-20-2011 4:19 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Most motors of that type can be reparied.
    It's a matter of cleaning and relubricating the bronze bearings etc.
    Being a one-phase AC motor of the "short-circuit" type (anchor appears massive), it has practically no
    torque at low speeds, let alone at startup so is greatly depending on low bearing friction.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)